Anger as Seoul aims to reclassify dog meat

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anger as Seoul aims to reclassify dog meat

ABCNews/AFP Story

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2008 10:32pm AEDT
Excerpt:

The Seoul city government is seeking to classify man's best friend as livestock in order to set food safety standards for South Korean lovers of dog meat, officials say.
Somewhere between two and four million dogs are estimated to be consumed in South Korea every year but the slaughtering and processing is carried out in dirty environments and poses a risks to diners' health, they said.
Since dogs are not currently classed as livestock there are no hygiene regulations on their slaughter, officials said.
"Dogs are consumed in their millions in this country every year. That's a fact. We have to take care of this situation," Lee Hae-Woo, head of the city government's department of food safety, said.
"We plan to recommend to the central government that dogs are classified as livestock.
Read Full Story

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Would I eat it? No. This is smarter than the CA law of a few years ago which banned horses from being slaughtered for food. (Thankfully, decades after the 26th Cavalry ate their mounts...)

If we aren't supposed to eat animals why are they made of meat?

I'm guessing chihuahuas and other small breeds are fairly safe, but, then again, chickens aren't large and we eat BILLIONS of them...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would I eat it? No. This is smarter than the CA law of a few years ago which banned horses from being slaughtered for food. (Thankfully, decades after the 26th Cavalry ate their mounts...)

If we aren't supposed to eat animals why are they made of meat?

I'm guessing chihuahuas and other small breeds are fairly safe, but, then again, chickens aren't large and we eat BILLIONS of them...

I'v said it before, and I'll say it again: every time I've had dog, I had seconds.

And I love my pet dogs, dearly.

Horse, on the other hand, is only okay-think you're hardpressed to find tender meat on an animal that spends most of its life standing up.

Anyway, it's a smart move by the Korean government-I've seen the way dogs (for food) are kept in some marts in Asia, and it's both unhygienic and cruel-I don't eat much from commercially raised livestock (especially chickens,Don) for the same reason.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'v said it before, and I'll say it again: every time I've had dog, I had seconds.
I'm kind of curious about the taste, but, am not gastronomically adventurous...
Horse, on the other hand, is only okay-think you're hardpressed to find tender meat on an animal that spends most of its life standing up.
The same would be true of cattle... You'd think fish would be tougher...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
... The same would be true of cattle... You'd think fish would be tougher...

I should have added the dietary differences between cattle and horses being a contributing factor-I've had a fair amount of free range cattle that's just not very tender, though quite flavorful-better than the supermarket anyday, tenderness aside.....

Same for fish-dietary differences, and some differences in fat content related to taxonomy-most shark is fairly tough, and often unpalatable-I like mako, but I won't cook it without marinating it in something properly acidic.....some fish have so much vitamin A in their systems that their flesh is toxic, but palatable.

... I'm kind of curious about the taste, but, am not gastronomically adventurous...

Why Don, everyone knows the answer to that one: it tastes just like chicken!

Naah, that's not at all true-it's not like beef, either, but that's closer. Dog tastes like.....dog, and puppy? Puppies are delicious!

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
People and nations are simply different the world over. While we recoil at the thought of Koreans eating a dog, imagine the horror with which a traditional Hindu would view a Burger King.

That said, anyone thinking to make my Black Lab into lunch should beware of the dangers of lead poisoning.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don - This is one where I agree with you. Dog is a national delicacy in Korea....and honestly, since the Seoul olympics, much more difficult to find because of international perception.

Absolutely nothing wrong with putting legislation in place to make it more safe. Personally, I want to try as many animals as possible. As soon as Bald Eagle and Spotted Owl go off the protected list....Fair game! :)

And to put anyone's mind at ease....Dogs ARE livestock there. We had a dog farm near the base and they are literally livestock. It is a different breed of dog, not a pet breed. They are bred, raised, and sold for meat. Unfortunately, in some places, it isn't as "organized" as in the bigger cities. Much of Korea is still undeveloped farmland.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
None of the animals that are staples are endangered, there is no shortage of chickens, cattle, etc. The more animals that we eat, the more animals there will be.

ktaylor75

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When in high school, I was part of the Foreign Exchange Club. We had a sister school in Okinawa. We went on a trip there, but had a 24-hour stop-over in Seoul (in which we were given hotel accommodations for the evening) Having been travelling on a plane for 13 hours, we were hungry and went to the hotel's restaurant to grab a bite to eat. To our surprise, hamburgers were on the menu! The waitress came over, took our order and then replied, "Are you sure you want hamburger?" "Sure," we said. She then replied, "We raise dog like you raise cow." ..... we ended up getting salads.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Personally, I want to try as many animals as possible. As soon as Bald Eagle and Spotted Owl go off the protected list....Fair game! :).

Nah-as a general rule, wild predators taste like craaap! Mountain lion backstraps are okay, but birds of prey probably really suck.....

ktaylor75 said:
To our surprise, hamburgers were on the menu! The waitress came over, took our order and then replied, "Are you sure you want hamburger?" "Sure," we said. She then replied, "We raise dog like you raise cow." ..... we ended up getting salads.

Hmmm....Puppy- burger!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When in high school, I was part of the Foreign Exchange Club. We had a sister school in Okinawa. We went on a trip there, but had a 24-hour stop-over in Seoul (in which we were given hotel accommodations for the evening) Having been travelling on a plane for 13 hours, we were hungry and went to the hotel's restaurant to grab a bite to eat. To our surprise, hamburgers were on the menu! The waitress came over, took our order and then replied, "Are you sure you want hamburger?" "Sure," we said. She then replied, "We raise dog like you raise cow." ..... we ended up getting salads.

Dont' get the wrong idea by this....not sure where you were or when it was, but if you go to Korea now, you will KNOW if you are eating Kaegogi. It is VERY VERY VERY expensive. Plus, it will always be specifically labeled as Po Sin Tang or Kaegogi or some variant of dog meat.