the "casual" martial artist

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
Are you saying in this forum, there is no real point other than to get a conversation going?

What's your take on it?

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
My take? Pointless thread makes for pointless idle chitchat. Meaningful thread is enlightening and enriching, ie, you learn something that enriches your life and enlighten you.

Some people enjoy idle chitchat over colors of their shoes, etc. Fine with me. This isn't my forum to dictate what quality it should be.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We prefer that chitchat take place in The Locker Room (or on chat). We prefer that the arts fora contain substantive martial arts discussion (information or debates)--not only because we think people in those fora are looking for such information and discussions but also because we want them to be valuable in conjunction with the Search option.

There is however a tension. Enforcing topicality and seriousness can easily stifle conversation, and that isn't desirable. When the forum was smaller we watched a higher percentage of the threads and "nudged" them back on track as necessary. This is no longer feasible, unfortunately.

As always, we invite feedback. Would stricter enforcement of topicality be desirable to members, or would it be too restrictive? If anyone wishes to answer, it might be best to start another thread.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

K

Kirk

Originally posted by arnisador
We prefer that chitchat take place in The Locker Room (or on chat). We prefer that the arts fora contain substantive martial arts discussion (information or debates)--not only because we think people in those fora are looking for such information and discussions but also because we want them to be valuable in conjunction with the Search option.

There is however a tension. Enforcing topicality and seriousness can easily stifle conversation, and that isn't desirable. When the forum was smaller we watched a higher percentage of the threads and "nudged" them back on track as necessary. This is no longer feasible, unfortunately.

As always, we invite feedback. Would stricter enforcement of topicality be desirable to members, or would it be too restrictive? If anyone wishes to answer, it might be best to start another thread.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

But chit chat aside, does this thread belong in the locker room?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
But chit chat aside, does this thread belong in the locker room?

I feel the original post was quite appropriate for this forum.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Back on topic (maybe).....
I have had a few near-hopeless students. BUT they always gave the best they could; if they are going to put forth the effort then as a teacher I owe them my best effort.
But, someone who is just hanging out, disrupting class, and preventing another student from learning is in effect stealing time from that person, or from the class as a whole. like I said, I don't tend to keep them around.

OP
tarabos

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i don't know what it's like to actually ask someone to leave a school. i've seen my instructor do it several times and it's never a pleasant thing. that alone is probably the worst thing about running a school if i had to take a guess. but if a student acts so childishly or unpleasantly that it warrants them being removed from a school they probably deserve what they get.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't get the feeling that the original intention of the thread was dealing with "excluding" anyone from training, rather, how best to incorporate individuals into the training group that have dedication levels that go from one end of the spectrum to the other.

As for training with those who are considered the casual student, like every thing else it has it's ups and downs. I do tend to be able to get a more realistic reaction out of them, although quite often punches are thrown to the side of my head instead of at my face (afraid of actually contacting me, but hey, I can't really afford to get any uglier from extra punches to the face) but I tend to get frustrated at the feeling of having to walk my training partner through techniques several times after the sifu explains it before we can actually execute the move.

respectfully,
theletch1:asian:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
good points; let me clarify..
I know people have lives, obligations, &c. I expect people to come when they can, to practice some on their own, and to try their best in class. I expect the students to be team players, and I expect the seniors to help the newbies/hard learners.
What I am not interested in is the social martial artist, or the talker. If someone wants to train fine. If they want to waste my limited class time....sorry.

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
My feelings are that a black belt is a teaching certificate, so part of earning one is learning how to teach. Also dummies(ukes, warm bodys) are valeuable so I don't really mind the 'casual' long term student. I consider them training aids for the serious students. Also the dedicated students have a 'yardstick' to measure thier own progress against,somewhat.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons .....Oh Yeah JN et al, Life is pointless. Why do you even bother to post here? You get up in the morning then you may eat and then you spend you trivial day in depression and then you may go to sleep, or just lay there waiting for the next day....

I missed this garbage earlier. But in due defference to one of the mods, I will not respond in kind. I suggest you do not break the rules again. Unless I address you directly, do not bother to reply to my post.

M

Master of Blades

I missed this garbage earlier. But in due difference to one of the mods, I will not respond in kind. I suggest you do not break the rules again. Unless I address you directly, do not bother to reply to my post.

Can you feel the love :rolleyes:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lol It is called "respond in kind, steathly". ;)

Yes, Sir, I have replied like you previously, yet it always pointless to carry on a discourse with you. For you see it all as pointless.

Enjoy youring posting herem you will not control how or where I post. I will comply to the rules, as long as others are. If they step over and continue to just bend them and seem to be a continuous problem. Then I say so.

Just my thoughts and opinions, as you express yours, so then will I.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you insist on starting a flame war, that is your problem.

It is pointless, to have a flame war. It all depends on what you can do on the streets.

So have a nice day! I will ! :)

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LMAO. Hey, it could be worse! At least I made no reference to him as a person. :D

True, you did mention or make a reference to me, yet you have other times of me and others.

Yet It really is pointless, to state facts, since it does not matter.
I will do what I will do, and you, ... , well :confused:

Have A nice day! I will :)