The Bible, Faith & Martial Arts

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
here are some questions i have for the Christian faith
how old is earth?
Who knows? Time is an earthly measure. Time to God is meaningless We here on earth decided 60 seconds is a min 60 min is an hour 24 hour is a day 365 days (or 366 depending on the year) is a year
what about dinasours?
What about them? God created and Destroyed many things
Noah, do you have any idea how many species there are on the planet. how long it would take to get them on the ark and the size of the ark that would be required? do you know how much water there is on the planet in comparison to solid matter and what covering the earth would do to the atmosphere?
All things are possible with God on your side
what happened to YHWH 's wife..asherah?
Never existed like all the other false Gods and idols
why do you only belive in one God when Judaism was originaly a polytheism religion?
Christianity isnt Judaism why would believe in other religions?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most people think of Magic as a trick or illusion. In other words magic isn't real. A magician is an actor and a trickster. So when speaking of religion and talking a magic it's normally done in a negative way similar to the ever popular sky beings or sometimes magic sky beings. As for a political correct term I don't know what your trying to describe. What is it you think is "magic" in the first place?

A magician is really an illusionist. What a magician does is not actually magic, but the audience believes it to be magic because they lack an understanding of what is really happening during the illusions. Magic would be stopping the sun, turning a rod in to a serpent, turning water in to wine, walking on water, etc.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Time is an earthly measure. Time to God is meaningless We here on earth decided 60 seconds is a min 60 min is an hour 24 hour is a day 365 days (or 366 depending on the year) is a year

so then how can you say that creation was done in seven days? if time is meaningless as you say then it might just as well have taken 12 billion years.

God created and Destroyed many things
but if the bible/ creation is to be belived it does not mention dinosours, there are fosils in museums and if there are bones to be touched and witnessed then these creatures disapeared...then by all logic this is evolution.

Never existed like all the other false Gods and idols
seems like a denial from the belivers in the bible to their own history of where the bible came from and how it created the religion we know today.

dont take this the wrong way but it seems to me that if christian belivers were a little more open and less dogmatic in their thinking they could easily exist side by side with science and not be at odds with it.
science says that there may be 10 dimensions of space, could not some of these be proof of a heaven or life after death? that 7 days could easliy have been 12 billion years creating the universe, that evolution of mankind was the method on HOW God created man.
the problem seems to be the way people defend their interpretation of bible to be 100% true and that causes a disconnect with science and with other religions. who's bible is it anyways? but that is another post.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A magician is really an illusionist. What a magician does is not actually magic, but the audience believes it to be magic because they lack an understanding of what is really happening during the illusions. Magic would be stopping the sun, turning a rod in to a serpent, turning water in to wine, walking on water, etc.
Yes that's the Webster definition. The common use of the word however magicians put on magic shows. Which isn't real they are tricks

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so then how can you say that creation was done in seven days? if time is meaningless as you say then it might just as well have taken 12 billion years.
What's a day? 23.87655 hours? Was one of the day a daylight savings day where is was on 23 hours or 25 hours? What we as humans decided are days God's is not restricted to. Time is a human concept years days ect don't apply to God.
but if the bible/ creation is to be belived it does not mention dinosours, there are fosils in museums and if there are bones to be touched and witnessed then these creatures disapeared...then by all logic this is evolution.
The bible is just a small book it couldn't possibly mention everything that has ever happened in the history of the world. It's not mention maybe because God didn't think it was relevant to what was needed in the Bible. Maybe It was mentioned and never made it in.
seems like a denial from the belivers in the bible to their own history of where the bible came from and how it created the religion we know today.
Denial of what? The bible specifically mentions the false sky queen as well as other false Gods. Why would it be denial to not recognize something that isn't real. The Easter Bunny isn't real am I in bunny denial?
dont take this the wrong way but it seems to me that if christian belivers were a little more open and less dogmatic in their thinking they could easily exist side by side with science and not be at odds with it.
We do exist side by side with science over the last 2000 year most scientific research was done by or funded by the church.
science says that there may be 10 dimensions of space, could not some of these be proof of a heaven or life after death? that 7 days could easliy have been 12 billion years creating the universe, that evolution of mankind was the method on HOW God created man.
the problem seems to be the way people defend their interpretation of bible to be 100% true and that causes a disconnect with science and with other religions. who's bible is it anyways? but that is another post.

Of you read back I've never said the Bible was 100%. And science has its beliefs and so do I

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most people think of Magic as a trick or illusion. In other words magic isn't real. A magician is an actor and a trickster. So when speaking of religion and talking a magic it's normally done in a negative way similar to the ever popular sky beings or sometimes magic sky beings. As for a political correct term I don't know what your trying to describe. What is it you think is "magic" in the first place?

Magic, as in what magicians like David Copperfield do, is a trick or illusion used to simulate magic (pretend magic), magic being a supernatural force. Hence the term 'magic trick'.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Magic, as in what magicians like David Copperfield do, is a trick or illusion used to simulate magic (pretend magic), magic being a supernatural force. Hence the term 'magic trick'.

Ok? And

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You're confusing magic with illusion.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Yes that's the Webster definition. The common use of the word however magicians put on magic shows. Which isn't real they are tricks
Context matters. When you use the term magic, people think most often of magic spells. When you say magic show, it's illusion.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're confusing magic with illusion.

I'm not confusing anything. Your confusing dictionary Def with common usages. I just independently asked my wife and kids what's magic.
Wife: illusions, shows, Vegas
Son: like magic trick?
Daughter: dad it's 750 in the morning stop asking me stupid questions.
Daughter #2: dad rolled eyes walks away

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Context matters. When you use the term magic, people think most often of magic spells. When you say magic show, it's illusion.
Context does matter usually when used in reference to religion magic is used as an insult

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a play on words. Outside of these forums and in the real world words as they are presented here could be, in the right context, taken as rude, depending on who they are directed at. In a church these words are not used, outside of a church, as in this thread, they are being debated.

Is this a valid debate or just a matter of someone trying to win.... do we need to move to a better place within our posting?
Just my personal opinion. :)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ballen,
I've never said the Bible was 100%.

to be fair and accurate my comments were never aimed at you. my first post said i had questions for Christains. i am not questioning your faith in particular. i hope you can understand that. this thread seemed to be going in a direction of faith VS science so i was attempting to unify the two ideas.

as far as "magic" and its use i feel this is not worth the time spent on the debate. it is very possible that depending on where you live the word magic will have a different nuance of meaning. i live in Massachusetts and for myself when anyone uses the word magic, i think in referance to witches.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not confusing anything. Your confusing dictionary Def with common usages. I just independently asked my wife and kids what's magic.
Wife: illusions, shows, Vegas
Son: like magic trick?
Daughter: dad it's 750 in the morning stop asking me stupid questions.
Daughter #2: dad rolled eyes walks away
I think you're confusing your family with everyone else.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Context does matter usually when used in reference to religion magic is used as an insult
For me, magic in context of religion both refer to things that don't exist but that a lot of people would really like to.

It's all improbable, unprovable stuff. Neither is intended to be insulting, although either word could be meant that way. I think it really matters how it's meant and the context.

There are a lot of great things about religion, but the only difference between a miracle abd magic is the spelling.

Last edited:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For me, magic in context of religion both refer to things that don't exist but that a lot of people would really like to.

It's all improbable, unprovable stuff. Neither is intended to be insulting, although either weird could be meant that way. I think it really matters how it's meant and the context.

There are a lot of great things about religion, but the only difference between a miracle abd magic is the spelling.
I've been on both sides of the argument of religion and I've had the debate more times then I can Remember. Usually when someone is a non-believer uses the term "magic" it's an attempt to down play the importance of God. Perhaps you don't mean it that way but it's used that way often even in this forum you see "magic sky beings" or some combo of that as a way to. I think we have distracted the main point of the thread long enough. Call it magic call it whatever you want just get back to the main topic.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh. Well if that's the case, you're off base. Thanks for asking.

Are you always this arrogant or just behind the keyboard? Guess it's time for you to go back on ignore. Good day.

Latest Discussions