the Best of the Best?

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I respect Bruce for what he contributed to the knowledge of the human body and the mechanics of motion. again, Mr. Parker for his theories of motion and conservation of motion and wasted energy in motion. as said before, both men studies together and respected one another for their contributions to the Arts and their ideas. I also like Chuck Norris and Dolph Lundgren. and considering Mr. Norris is nearing his seventies, the man is in better shape than I am he's fifty years my senior, and he could still kick my butt with his pinky toe.

OP
I

Infight

Hey, Bruce Lee? HAHAHA, you must be kidding me, chinese colonization did not well to US, what the hell you think martial art is, thats the first point, a movie? a builder of character and body?
a self defense martial art?
Well to me, the best art martialist is called Rickson Gracie, hes a dedicated guy, unbeated till today, dunoo starred movies, but fought alot and never lost ( in real life ), control his diet, has a great character, perfect health and body, and has a great knowledge of how a fight must go on.
Now you gonna say that skinny, without nutrition, light, and KUNG FU FIGHTER is a good Martial Artist, cmon! Even i can beat him, he cant beat even Weeping Goldberg!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Infight
Hey, Bruce Lee? HAHAHA, you must be kidding me, chinese colonization did not well to US, what the hell you think martial art is, thats the first point, a movie? a builder of character and body?
Well to me, the best art martialist is called Rickson Gracie, hes a dedicated guy, unbeated till today, dunoo starred movies, but fought alot and never lost ( in real life ), control his diet, has a great character, perfect health and body, and has a great knowledge of how a fight must go on.
Now you gonna say that skinny, without nutrition, light, and KUNG FU FIGHTER is a good Martial Artist, cmon! Even i can beat him, he cant beat even Weeping Goldberg!

I understand where your coming from. In Brasil "the fight game" is differant than here. I've spent a lot of time with pure BJJ stylist so it is really easy for me to almost picture what you say.

But at the same time, my Sifus father was a student of Bruce Lee in Oakland. He is in his mid to late '60's and he is still bad.

You also have to consider what the state of the martials were in America when Bruce was alive. His theories on technique was advanced for that day. It may have been a bit differant if Helio came to America at that time. But Bruce would of embraced it and learned all he could. That is a true martial artist!

Not many people can truthfully say that in those days thet were doing what he was. The movies were not his actual technique although he did work it in more and more as he became more valuable to the movie buisness.

But I think the question refers to the best martial artist ever. In submisson I would say Rickson as an instructor there are so many so I will go to my upline Bruce (which is obviously biased) but THE BEST ACTIVE FIGHTER IS ROY JONES JR.!!

That really is a hard one to nail it down to just one!

OP
R

Ronin

Originally posted by Jas0n
I Wonder how he would have done against Bruce Lee?
You guys must never have heard the story when Mr> Parker allowed Bruce Lee to stay with him and how they exchanged ideas. Bruce after some time became arrogant and argued with Mr Parker who told him to leave. Bruce challenged Mr. Parker in front of his house. One thing you guys need to know is that Mr. Parker was a deadly street fighter and since there are no rules in street fighting.......guess what happened? Bruce came at him and Mr. Parker locked him up and dropped him on his head. You see the longer you train you realize Mr. Parker also added jujitsu to the kenpo arsenal. This story was told to us at the Conatser seminar last year in Scottsdale by the only witness to the fight.

OP
R

Ronin

The longer you are in the MA the more dirt you uncover.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Ronin
This story was told to us at the Conatser seminar last year in Scottsdale by the only witness to the fight.

And that was ... ?

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
You see the longer you train you realize Mr. Parker also added jujitsu to the kenpo arsenal.

Well, long before it was known as Kenpo Karate, it was called Kenpo Jutsu. It originally had all that stuff in it. From what I've heard Mr. Parker dropped it from the syllabus because it conflicted with the principles and concepts required to make Kenpo such an effective 'multiple opponent art'.

Also, didn't Mr. Parker hold Dan ranking in JuJutsu, before he studied Kenpo?

--Dave

:asian:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by D.Cobb
Well, long before it was known as Kenpo Karate, it was called Kenpo Jutsu. It originally had all that stuff in it. From what I've heard Mr. Parker dropped it from the syllabus because it conflicted with the principles and concepts required to make Kenpo such an effective 'multiple opponent art'.

Also, didn't Mr. Parker hold Dan ranking in JuJutsu, before he studied Kenpo?

--Dave

:asian:

Kirks got the copy of the certificate if you want to see it, he will post it again, I'm sure.

Mitose called it Kenpo Jiu Jitsu.

The Kenpo Jutsu I think is another lineage.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
You guys must never have heard the story when Mr> Parker allowed Bruce Lee to stay with him and how they exchanged ideas. Bruce after some time became arrogant and argued with Mr Parker who told him to leave. Bruce challenged Mr. Parker in front of his house. One thing you guys need to know is that Mr. Parker was a deadly street fighter and since there are no rules in street fighting.......guess what happened? Bruce came at him and Mr. Parker locked him up and dropped him on his head. You see the longer you train you realize Mr. Parker also added jujitsu to the kenpo arsenal. This story was told to us at the Conatser seminar last year in Scottsdale by the only witness to the fight.

Isn't the line "....fighting has no rule..", one of B Lee's favourite lines too? How could he got fouled up in this?

I really hate this type of hearsay where all the parties are long dead, and now you have this dude," the only witness to XYZ whatever". LOL it is practically a license to BS.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
Isn't the line "....fighting has no rule..", one of B Lee's favourite lines too? How could he got fouled up in this?

I really hate this type of hearsay where all the parties are long dead, and now you have this dude," the only witness to XYZ whatever". LOL it is practically a license to BS.

Yea, well, 1 of my Sensei beat both of them.:D

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, and who can argue otherwise! If anyone has any doubt, they can go ask Parker and Lee! lol

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, and who can argue otherwise! If anyone has any doubt, they can go ask Parker and Lee! lol

I did, they told me in my dreams.:D

OP
K

Kroy

Helio Gracie (and this is coming from a kenpo man). Not just for what he did for BJJ. But by changing the way most martial artist in North America train now.:asian:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kroy
Helio Gracie (and this is coming from a kenpo man). Not just for what he did for BJJ. But by changing the way most martial artist in North America train now.:asian:

Most people in North America are training differant now?:D

OP
S

silencethehero

Prof. Moses Powell is the best living today.

OP
K

Kroy

Yes, many martial artist have begun to add grappling to their training due to the popularity of BJJ in the UFC.

OP
S

silencethehero

"Granpa Lee?
Now you gonna say that skinny, without nutrition, light, and KUNG FU FIGHTER is a good Martial Artist, cmon! Even i can beat him, he cant beat even Weeping Goldberg!"

The US was very fortunate that the Chinese came here. We've been blessed with many constructive things from them. That's like saying Brazil suffered from their exposure to the Japanese. Let's be realistic, without the Japanese there would be no Brazillian JJ.

Rickson is very good at BJJ. I respect him for that. However, there are martial artists out there who don't deem in necessary to flaunt their skills, bet on fights, have public challenges or enter octogons. Bruce Lee's diet was awesome and his work ethic unmatched. He trained 7 days a week for 5 hours a day. Being skinny has nothing to do with your ability to fight. Look at the size of some of the guys Rickson has beaten. He isn't a very big guy at all.

When it comes down to it though, BJJ isn't really Jujutsu now is it. Shouldn't it be called Brazillian Wrestling or Brazillian Submission Techniques? Who did the marketing for it anyway?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by silencethehero
"Granpa Lee?
Now you gonna say that skinny, without nutrition, light, and KUNG FU FIGHTER is a good Martial Artist, cmon! Even i can beat him, he cant beat even Weeping Goldberg!"

The US was very fortunate that the Chinese came here. We've been blessed with many constructive things from them. That's like saying Brazil suffered from their exposure to the Japanese. Let's be realistic, without the Japanese there would be no Brazillian JJ.

Rickson is very good at BJJ. I respect him for that. However, there are martial artists out there who don't deem in necessary to flaunt their skills, bet on fights, have public challenges or enter octogons. Bruce Lee's diet was awesome and his work ethic unmatched. He trained 7 days a week for 5 hours a day. Being skinny has nothing to do with your ability to fight. Look at the size of some of the guys Rickson has beaten. He isn't a very big guy at all.

When it comes down to it though, BJJ isn't really Jujutsu now is it. Shouldn't it be called Brazillian Wrestling or Brazillian Submission Techniques? Who did the marketing for it anyway?

Yo, silencethehero, when you want to quote someone just click the quote button on the bottom right corner, its right above the reply button. It first that I thought that was your quote but as I was reading it it sounded like I already read it before.:D

BJJ evolved the way it did because the way it was "tested" and modified to meet the needs.

But if you want a practice some good grappling, blend Traditional Jujutsu with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. You'll see things from a new light.:asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

I agree, it doesn't sound right to me. Ed Parker still talked good of Lee after Lee's death.

Latest Discussions