being the "best"

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just read an interesting forum post where the guy honestly asked the question : "how can I be the best martial artist in the world"

Its an interesting question. The more practical question of course would be, "how can I be the best martial artist I can be". That thought brought me to another interesting question.

In most sports you have a general physique or physical potential that might help you excel towards being the "best" player ever. For instance, you would imagine that the best basketball player ever would be fairly tall. Of course, there are some great players that were not tall (mugsey bogues, spud webb, ect), but these people could not be considered the "best ever". Each person has their own unique potential, but I honestly believe that most people would not have the physical potential to be the best basketball player ever, even if they applied themselves as much as humanly possible.

So, the question is, what would define someone with the potential for being the "best" martial artist. Lets narrow the question down to being the best in a specific style. Do you think that any person, if applying themselves hard enough, can become the best in their art? And no, please don't respond with "create your own art, declare youself 10th Dan, and you are the best". I'm trying to ask a serious question.

Another interesting question would be: How dramatically would the answer vary based on your art of choice? I imagine the physical requirements for being the "best" in each art would vary to a degree.. for instance, someone taking TKD may need a high degree of flexibility, where in Aikido, that might not be so important. So, if you -could- be the best in Aikido, would you also have the capability of being the best in TKD?

Just some thoughts! what do you think?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To answer your question intelligently you would need to know the basis of a true Ma'er. In that regard without heart and dignity and humility, you could never be the best,so if you had humility one could not be the best because you will always say some one is better than you. Now the arragaunt person would say they are the best but if you live the Ma'er way of life then others would not precieve you to be the best for your arragants. So with that delima one that is truely the best can never be.

I know alot of great pactictuners in the Arts with no heart and I know alot of people with some degree of talent that has the heart of a champion, so who's to say who's the best.

I believe the best is some one willing to put aside ego's and train everyday for the love of there Art to push themself beyond the limits of ordinary men and women, with that being said I'll see every one's else response.

Terry Lee Stoker

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends on your definition of "best".

Best at what? Point sparring? Full Contact? NHB? Actual street fighting?
Or, since we are referring to an "art", could "best" be used to define someone
who may not win in an actual competition, but trains more diligently,consistently, and with respect to his art than anyone else?

In that vein, is someone who has incredible natural skills such that he can win
any confrontation, but trains haphazardly, a better or worse MA-ist than someone who is not so blessed with physical skills, but trains harder and lives the principles of his art better than the "natural" fighter?

Which is more important, if you call yourself a "martial artist"?

Latest Discussions