The Arts in a Martial Artist

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I used to draw alot, I really enjoyed it, just now I don't have the time. However, I find art in the work that I do. Essentially, I believe that software development is an art, not so much a trade. The reason I say this, is that it requires the problem solver to be creative, think out of the box. So for me, my programming work is sort of a work of art, that only I can see. ;) The beauty is in it's simplicity AND complexity. Just like an artist, there are weeks I am inspired and creative programming ideas seem to just flow freely, and then there are weeks that I am not inspired at all and I find it hard to write any code whatsoever (so I surf the internet). ;)

However I have always been this way about programming and it really isn't related to my martial arts in that sense. Although, the martial arts has really allowed me to see the life much differently. It has provided me with a much deeper appreciation for life. It has also brought me much inner peace, I am no longer stressed as I used to be.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i started playing music at a young age, drawing, creative writing......martial arts was another pursuit of the mind that fit right in.
i like anything that requires continuous input to improve.
everytime i give a shiatsu treatment, my hands get that much more sensitive, everytime i practice a scale on the guitar, i hear the notes that much clearer.
i love doing anything with my hands......im a pipefitter by trade, ive been working with wood for 16 years..
i guess for me its all about creation, repetition, challenge and change.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
So for me, my programming work is sort of a work of art, that only I can see. ;) The beauty is in it's simplicity AND complexity. Just like an artist, there are weeks I am inspired and creative programming ideas seem to just flow freely, and then there are weeks that I am not inspired at all and I find it hard to write any code whatsoever (so I surf the internet). ;)

Brother! I have found you at last!

Otherwise, I'm like Arnnie. I have no artistic talents. Although, I believe I might be getting to be a better dancer through MA. It sure isn't helping my singing.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Although, the martial arts has really allowed me to see the life much differently. It has provided me with a much deeper appreciation for life. It has also brought me much inner peace, I am no longer stressed as I used to be.

I believe this is more important than the effect it has on the arts in anyone's world, truth be told. Art is, after all, an interpretation of life. If life is enhanced, then everything else will be, too.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
That's a good corrallation, SLTL. I, too, was a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy and spent about 8 years before and after working the ER at the local hospital. When I was in TKD, I routinely sparred with the Head of Oncology at our local hospital. Quick little guy, he was.

I would view Shao's massage therapy as a logical procession from MA, actually. Since I began training, I've looked a little closer at TCM and herbalism, myself.

That's so cool. I would have been a doctor in another life. I would love to be an ER doc.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
That's so cool. I would have been a doctor in another life. I would love to be an ER doc.

I've never really seen myself as much more than, say, a battlefield medic. Someone on the edge of it all; making sure the patient got to where he needed to be, ready to go.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
Brother! I have found you at last!

Otherwise, I'm like Arnnie. I have no artistic talents. Although, I believe I might be getting to be a better dancer through MA. It sure isn't helping my singing.

HAHAHA... I can't sing or dance either! :D Maybe dance better than I could before but it is still all relatively bad. :D

Latest Discussions