What makes one a Martial 'ARTIST'?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would hesitate to call myself an MAist but plenty of people I know (mainly in Dan ranks) have said to me that they would call me so because of my attitude. To really drill down to the meaning would be difficult, to pin it exactly, impossible. We really are going to come down to a large area of opinions about the meaning, but it'd be good to witness that area reduced as much as possible.

Is it just training or and application that make one a martial artist, or is it a mind set?

These points of view also are on the same page, and I think they dovetail nicely with the previous ones, though not in completely obvious way. I think both of you are talking about something that I'd try to capture as a kind of seriousness about what you're doing. Proficiency flows from seriousness (in the fullness of time, of course!) so although they aren't quite the same thing, they're related. For some people I've worked with, TKD is kind of an incidental part of their lives; it's not an endeavor that enters into their view of who they are. They do it, but it's not something they think about, or try to work on to consciously improve ... in other words, they don't take it seriously past a certain point. People I think of as MAists think about what they're doing when they do TKD (or whatever art); it matters to them how a certain technique works or what a certain hyung is telling them about combat. And of course, such people do tend to get more proficient much faster.

Shads is right: we can only narrow the meaning down so much before we hit the level of irreconcilable individual variation—we're going to wind up with a circle, not a point, because `MAist' is fuzzy—but it's good to try to make the radius of that circle of variation as small as possible...

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
—we're going to wind up with a circle, not a point, because `MAist' is fuzzy—but it's good to try to make the radius of that circle of variation as small as possible...

Fuzzy Logic???

*hangs head* Sorry I'll behave.... :angel:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Consistency when accuracy is impossible? :D

Yeah, or maybe, when precision is impossible... but yup, that's the idea! Good observation, nice and pithy.

Fuzzy Logic???

*hangs head* Sorry I'll behave.... :angel:

:D

There's fuzzy logic. And then there's fuzzy illogic... we've had to deal with some o' that on, um, various other threads, eh? :wink1:

Maybe color terminology is the best analogy. People can pretty much agree 100% on distinguishing blue from red from yellow—primary colors are easy. When you bring green in, it gets a little tricker, but there'll be broad consensus. But there are various colors that particular people disagree on the label for—is that a hot pink or a kind of magenta? (I've been having a... it's not an argument, it's a difference in name application, with someone in connection with patio chairs, believe it or not...). And you reach a certain point where it becomes, well, maybe that's pink to you, but it's not pink to me, it's magenta... and after that, there's nothing much to say. I think both proficiency and attitude criteria enter into the definition of `martial artist' that most people use, but there are going to be differences in the proportion in the mix from person to person. That's just the way it is... :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know I HATE to repeat myself but I have already pretty much told you all, in another thread, what makes a martial artist, a badge, deputies and a paintbrush. :)

Sorry, I just could not let that go… I will skulk back to my cave now :uhyeah:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know I HATE to repeat myself but I have already pretty much told you all, in another thread, what makes a martial artist, a badge, deputies and a paintbrush. :)

I meant to rep you for that one... didn't I?

I agree, it's too good to let pass unnoticed! So cheer up... :)

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Look Xue, I'm involved in that thread, I've read your opinion and I'm a bit upset to tell you the truth.

I have a badge, I have a paintbrush but I don't have deputies. :wah:

Latest Discussions