Connection between Artists and Martial Artists?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wright poetry from time to time. And most of the population of the U.S. is left side dominant. The reason is the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body. And since most people are right handed, most people have a left side dominant brain.
For kicks and giggles I'm practicing wrighting with my left hand, to even out my brain. Although writing is about the only thing I don't already do with both hands.

John

drunken mistress

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I trained as an artist then became a writer. I came to karate late in life at 48. I´m now 51 and do Kyokushin. Many visual artists are ambidexters and I think this has helped me.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love to draw, woodwork, landscape desing, web design, write poetry (though I suck!) and love to play around with images.

My art teacher once explained me that artists tend to have a knack to see the end product before they start. Some actually reverse engineer what they see in their mind.

I see the same thing with my martial arts training. I envison the end result and the steps that will get me there. When I actually try the technique I have a good idea what direction to go.

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been a guitarist for 25 years, played in bands, took lessons, have a home studio, just scored a film ("The Forgotten Eagles") and have taken martial arts (at 2 different studios) for 10 years.

I always seem to run into creative people at schools - I guess we like to create and learn.

My current instructor is a violinist, and teaches our lessons like musical etudes. He always talks about the similarities between learning an instrument, and learning how to use our body (www.sansooreseda.com)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I've been learning that there seems to be alot of left brain dominant people in Martial Arts. I know alot of creative type people, photographers, artists, musicians that practice. Just wondering if there truly is a connection? Who's an artist (other than martial) here on MT and what do you do? I wonder if the right brain dominant people have a hard time with forms or anything?

B.Mus. here, but also an engineer. My brain has an identity crisis. It doesn't know if it's creative or analytical.

I don't know if I'm left brain dominant, but if you've ever seen my Kenpo its more like my left hand doesn't know what my right hand is doing. :D :D

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was born with a neurological disorder, hence I cannot really identify with what is a normal brain pattern. However, I do like to write short stories. Unfortunately when my hard disk borked, I lost a lot work, so only have one story that I published on a amateur site. My other love is PC's and overclocking, although that has waned somewhat. Being ambidextrous, I would guess that I would be neither a lefty or a righty, but it can be a pain in the proverbial though. Used to DJ at home as well, got fed up with commercial mixes, so used to make my own for the Walkman. Yeah, some peeps may remember them lol.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I view wing chun like I view the guitar or writing: a form of art to be perfected. Does wing chun look as beautiful/graceful as some martial arts? No, but in my mind its approach to self-defense is brutal, straightforward, honest...just like my songs/stories. One of my teachers said reading my writing was like "sandpaper on the psyche," which she admitted wasn't her thing personally, but it was still good. There is always an audience for art where someone is showing off their scars.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
My friend has been training at my dojo for almost two years. He's a professional artist, and art teacher at a college. He's spent his adult life in disciplined study of his art, and it really comes out on the mat that he is a focused, and dedicated person. He is one of the quickest studies we've had for some time. My teacher often speaks of self-mastery. Regardless of the form it takes, one who can truly master himself has the capability of mastering many things. In this case it seems apparent. But that's my outside observation. I will have to ask his thoughts next time I see him.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been learning that there seems to be alot of left brain dominant people in Martial Arts. I know alot of creative type people, photographers, artists, musicians that practice. Just wondering if there truly is a connection? Who's an artist (other than martial) here on MT and what do you do? I wonder if the right brain dominant people have a hard time with forms or anything?

I'm a musician (guitar). I have trouble with forms and fingerpicking. :boing1:

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a musician (guitar). I have trouble with forms and fingerpicking. :boing1:

I want to learn fingerpicking as well. Too bad I can't afford lessons or find anyone good enough giving free lessons online. LOL

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Though I've never been an artist in way, my thought is that yes, artists through different mediums. Hey, if miming is an art (is it?), then certainly a martial practitioner could achieve an artistic quality in much the same way as any other.

Oh lord, you're a mime? That's one of the most terrifying arts out there.

Anyway I train Wing Chun (NVTO) and we attract a lot of engineers and geeks. Also a fair number of folks in the trades, some sales guys, some business men. An accountant. Hey, I have an MFA in sculpture and teach high-school ceramics for a living. Does that count?

Personally I find that there are a lot of different kinds of people attracted to MA. And creativity takes a lot of forms. So it's pretty hard to generalize.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I want to learn fingerpicking as well. Too bad I can't afford lessons or find anyone good enough giving free lessons online. LOL

I was kinda joking. Trying not to sound egotistical, I do fingerpick, but not as well as I think I can or should. But then, I am a martial artist and we're all a little OCD. :)

There are some good fingerpicking tutorials on YouTube, although a bunch of them are just teasers to get you to buy a course. You can still learn a lot from them. Here's a good one to start with: Common Fingerpicking Patterns Part 1 - YouTube

This is one that I'm working on now:
. My friend Dave Nachmanoff writes some really powerful stuff. I hosted him in a house concert last year; here's a clip of me playing along with him and Mike Lindauer, his bassist: Dave Nachmanoff - ThingOfBeauty - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator: