That moment when...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love those 'that moment' things. Here's a couple, feel free to add your own.

That moment when your hands begin to stick like glue to your opponent's strikes. He can't withdraw from his own attack and you control his movements.

That moment when you find yourself nailed to the ground such that when you intercept a kick or a punch, your body turns the opponent irresistibly; they cannot stop you from redirecting them where you want them to go.

That moment when your body reacts by itself while sparring and you find yourself breaking at an angle instead of fighting in a linear pattern so that your opponent cannot turn quickly enough to stop your attack.

That moment when you think your opponent is moving slowly on purpose to help you learn to block, but you find out later that they were moving as quickly as they could; your mind finally slowed their attacks down so you could react.

That moment when you try to apply a new tech and you screw it up, so you go to another tech and apply it quickly before you get clobbered by your uke, because you can do that now.

That moment when your uke decides to throw some random technique instead of what he said he was going to throw, but it's OK 'cause you got this.

That moment when you decide to let your junior uke wallop you because you know you can absorb it and you want them to understand what it feels like to strike with nearly full force and good technique. You find you care more about their learning than about your ability to demonstrate your prowess.

That moment when you intentionally open a hole in your defense so your uke will throw a technique you are ready to receive, and he does.

That moment when you punch the Wavemaster and something breaks, but it isn't your hand.

That moment when you apply a tech without thinking about it and you immediately realize which of the 8 Laws of the Fist you just applied.

Your turn...

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
That moment when the Chi ball finally detaches from your hand......

Sorry, couldn't help myself

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That moment when you finally see that all those different techniques your instructor has been drilling you on are actually just various manifestations of exactly the same principle, and what was impossibly complicated suddenly becomes really simple.

And, how about that moment in sparring or chi-sau when you sense an opening and your mind says, "Aha! Attack now!" ...only to realize that your body already did.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
When im weapon sparring, that moment when I knock the weapon out of my opponents hands

That moment when I finnish a form and notice im getting better

That moment when the instructor asks a question and I immediately already know the answer

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bill, I wasn't aware of the Kempo Hakku or Eight Laws of the Fist from the Bubishi, as I practice Chinese and Filipino arts. However I looked them up, and the text hails from Fukien in the early Qing dynasty as does my art. There is a definite connection.

The "moment" I referred to at the end of post #8 would be an example of "fist law #5":

Te wa ku ni ai sunawachi hairu
Techniques will occur in the absence of conscious thought.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have gotten into a rut, and feel you aren't learning anything. You are ready to quit, but for some reason don't, and the moment comes, weeks or months later, seemingly out of nowhere, when you suddenly know you have learned a great deal during that time, and just didn't realize it.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That moment when a student realises you have explained the technique many times before and he/she most like is going to be the who is going to be the uke in the next demonstration of the technique because he said "what if"

the moment that your body reacts before your mind kicks in because you have seen the movement in your mind a hundred plus times

Latest Discussions