Thanks for all of the comments on fasting guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How are they processed ? And what difference does the age of the oil make?
Here is a list of the ingredients in fast food fries. 19 ingredients in McD's fries. (interestingly, just 3 in Five Guys and In and Out burger) Is it bad for you? Here Is Every Ingredient in Your Favorite Fast Food French Fries

As for eating food cooked in old oil, there are some studies suggesting causes cancer. Hard to pin down since commercially prepared food is ubiquitous these days, so if a person gets cancer, who is to say it was the french fries that caused it.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So that's about half the calories needed by an active male, if the other half includes sufficient nutrients t what's the problem ? just drop the shake if your watching your weight
No, not at all. The average person needs somewhere between 2,000 to 2,500 calories per day. Maybe a bit more if you are a young, active male, say a football player or endurance athlete. A bit less if you are female, older, or sedentary. If you are trying to lose weight, maybe even less. If you are trying to lose weight, maybe you can have the Big Mac, and peel off one of the pieces of bread to lower calories and carb content further.

And the problem is, a person who eats stuff like this is probably not eating just a plain salad made of spinach leaves or water packed tuna the rest of the day.

So no, this meal of 1,500 empty calories is not something the average adult should be eating more than, maybe once a week, at most.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a list of the ingredients in fast food fries. 19 ingredients in McD's fries. (interestingly, just 3 in Five Guys and In and Out burger) Is it bad for you? Here Is Every Ingredient in Your Favorite Fast Food French Fries

That's the McD's in America, the company itself says the ingredients are different as the stuff they put in fires in the US is illegal in Europe. Are the ingredients used in your fries the same as in the U.S.A?

UK: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose (only added at beginning of the season). [The restaurants use non-hydrogenated vegetable oil].

Nutrition source:
McDonald's Fries - Saver Menu | McDonald's UK

US: Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*, Citric Acid [Preservative]), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt. Prepared in Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness), Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent. CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK. *Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.

Nutrition source: McDonald's Menu: Our Full McDonald's Food Menu | McDonald's, accessed Feb 25 2014

As for eating food cooked in old oil,
McDs here turns it into biofuel for the delivery vehicles.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

As for eating food cooked in old oil, there are some studies suggesting causes cancer. Hard to pin down since commercially prepared food is ubiquitous these days, so if a person gets cancer, who is to say it was the french fries that caused it.
Is it bad for you, is he question I asked you, which of those 19 is harmful the amount contained.

Old oil causes cancer, well old engine all does, but I doubt they are using that

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old oil does have some health issues. Polar compounds can form, which are carcinogenic. Oxidation leads to slightly toxic changes (indigestion, not death). More oil is retained in the food (less crunchy, and more fat).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you cook fries at home, or trust the person making the fries, it is probably a safer bet than eating at a fast food place, where the fries are highly processed, and you just don't know how old the oil is that was used to fry the potatoes.
Some are coated, but I think most are just potato. The point about the oil is well taken, though I think the places with good fries have those good fries because they change the oil regularly.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, not at all. The average person needs somewhere between 2,000 to 2,500 calories per day. Maybe a bit more if you are a young, active male, say a football player or endurance athlete. A bit less if you are female, older, or sedentary. If you are trying to lose weight, maybe even less. If you are trying to lose weight, maybe you can have the Big Mac, and peel off one of the pieces of bread to lower calories and carb content further.

And the problem is, a person who eats stuff like this is probably not eating just a plain salad made of spinach leaves or water packed tuna the rest of the day.

So no, this meal of 1,500 empty calories is not something the average adult should be eating more than, maybe once a week, at most.
I said an active male, not an average person, half of which Arnt maLe s and most of which And not very active

I thinK we can agree that old fat inactive people should avoid that amount ofcaleries,

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Old oil does have some health issues. Polar compounds can form, which are carcinogenic. Oxidation leads to slightly toxic changes (indigestion, not death). More oil is retained in the food (less crunchy, and more fat).
What a proven carcinogens in humans or a possible carcinogens in little furry things that are over dosed on them?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a proven carcinogens in humans or a possible carcinogens in little furry things that are over dosed on them?
Well, since we can't conduct controlled experiments on humans, we don't have many carcinogens where we can do more than point at a REALLY strong correlation. I've not dug any deeper into it - for me, the limp fries and higher fat are enough reason to want fresh oil.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, since we can't conduct controlled experiments on humans, we don't have many carcinogens where we can do more than point at a REALLY strong correlation. I've not dug any deeper into it - for me, the limp fries and higher fat are enough reason to want fresh oil.
There are large number of things are are proven to cause cancer in humans and an almost infinite amount of things that may do in that Repeatedly over dosing Micee in their own body weight of the stuff does.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are large number of things are are proven to cause cancer in humans and an almost infinite amount of things that may do in that Repeatedly over dosing Micee in their own body weight of the stuff does.
Define "large number". Of the chemicals with a strong link to cancer (either correlation, or furry creature studies, or proven case history in humans), I think the smallest number are those we have definitive proof for humans. We have good evidence on a lot of them, but a small number (relative to the whole) have what we'd call proof.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Define "large number". Of the chemicals with a strong link to cancer (either correlation, or furry creature studies, or proven case history in humans), I think the smallest number are those we have definitive proof for humans. We have good evidence on a lot of them, but a small number (relative to the whole) have what we'd call proof.
Go on the OSHH web site, they lIst thousands of chemicals and a significant number, I haven't actual counted are identified as being carcinogens tohumans

I can think of twenty just off the top of my head, chrome hex for instance, the third most lethal substance in the world

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the McD's in America, the company itself says the ingredients are different as the stuff they put in fires in the US is illegal in Europe. Are the ingredients used in your fries the same as in the U.S.A?

UK: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose (only added at beginning of the season). [The restaurants use non-hydrogenated vegetable oil].

Nutrition source:
McDonald's Fries - Saver Menu | McDonald's UK

US: Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*, Citric Acid [Preservative]), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt. Prepared in Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness), Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent. CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK. *Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.

Nutrition source: McDonald's Menu: Our Full McDonald's Food Menu | McDonald's, accessed Feb 25 2014

McDs here turns it into biofuel for the delivery vehicles.
Yup. That's why I specified earlier fries in the US are different.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Go on the OSHH web site, they lIst thousands of chemicals and a significant number, I haven't actual counted are identified as being carcinogens tohumans

I can think of twenty just off the top of my head, chrome hex for instance, the third most lethal substance in the world
Here a lIst of know and reasonably suspected human carcinogens, I can't be bother counting, it looks like lots to me
Known and Probable Human Carcinogens

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. That's why I specified earlier fries in the US are different.

Actually I wouldn't say they were 'different' but poisoned! Why would anyone want that gunk on their food?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This may have been answered already, but they start with a potato slurry, and then add anywhere between 10 and 20 ingredients (I read an article not too long ago that said that the McDonalds fries contained like 19 or 20 ingredients). They have chemicals and colorants and all kinds of things to make them delicious, that are also probably very bad for you.

Regarding the age of the oil, I don't know if that makes too much difference, provided that they clean it regularly and swap it out before it goes rancid. When I was in high school, I would pick up some extra dough helping out the maintenance guys who worked overnight, and they would run the oil vats through a machine that cleaned any food particulates out of the oil.

Coincidentally, I made burgers and fries at home on Saturday. Cut the taters myself and fried them twice in peanut oil to make them delicious and crispy. Still bad for us, but oh so good. :D

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This may have been answered already, but they start with a potato slurry, and then add anywhere between 10 and 20 ingredients (I read an article not too long ago that said that the McDonalds fries contained like 19 or 20 ingredients). They have chemicals and colorants and all kinds of things to make them delicious, that are also probably very bad for you.

Regarding the age of the oil, I don't know if that makes too much difference, provided that they clean it regularly and swap it out before it goes rancid. When I was in high school, I would pick up some extra dough helping out the maintenance guys who worked overnight, and they would run the oil vats through a machine that cleaned any food particulates out of the oil.

Coincidentally, I made burgers and fries at home on Saturday. Cut the taters myself and fried them twice in peanut oil to make them delicious and crispy. Still bad for us, but oh so good. :D
Well somebody intimated as much, but I'm still not getting anyone telling what exactly is unhealthy about the 19 incredients, you canT just assume that anY additive e is bad for you, a lot are necessary to stop the product going off or make it look more appealing.

Your home cooked fries are certainly not bad for you, provided you don't attempt to eat your body weight

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I said an active male, not an average person, half of which Arnt maLe s and most of which And not very active

I thinK we can agree that old fat inactive people should avoid that amount ofcaleries,
Look, most people over estimate their level of activity and under estimate their calorie intake. So even though I consider myself fairly active, if I am honest with myself, I am probably only moderately active. And the scale says I am overweight, so I know despite my relatively active lifestyle, I managed to each back all the calories I burned off and more. And I am not alone. Obesity levels are on the rise in the US and the UK. That is a fact.

Part of the problem for those of us who lift weights at a gym, or train in MA, cycle, swim, run, or whatever is, this is the most active part of our days. The 3,000 plus calories should be reserved for adolescent boys involved in sports, soldiers in elite combat units, and grown men with physically demanding jobs. The rest of us graft maybe 5 to 10 hours a week onto what would otherwise be a fairly sedentary lifestyle, which makes us, collectively, only moderate active. So, we should be shooting for closer to 2,000 calories. certainly not 3,000 or more.

Last edited:

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Look up what a McRib looks like raw, before they cook it and slather it in BBQ sauce.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look, most people over estimate their level of activity and under estimate their calorie intake. So even though I consider myself fairly active, if I am honest with myself, I am probably only moderately active. And the scale says I am overweight, so I know despite my relatively active lifestyle, I managed to each back all the calories I burned off and more. And I am not alone. Obesity levels are on the rise in the US and the UK. That is a fact.

Part of the problem for those of us who lift weights at a gym, or train in MA, cycle, swim, run, or whatever is, this is the most active part of our days. The 3,000 plus calories should be reserved for adolescent boys involved in sports, soldiers in elite combat units, and grown men with physically demanding jobs. The rest of us graft maybe 5 to 10 hours a week onto what would otherwise be a fairly sedentary lifestyle, which makes us, collectively, only moderate active. So, we should be shooting for closer to 2,000 calories. certainly not 3,000 or more.
You've lost me, I said active male needs 3000 calories and you've given a list of inactive maLess that only need 2000, how is this an argument against my point,

Active people Arnt fat, unless they do it on purpose, as you are , its clear your not active, why your saying other people shouldNt eat MACDs as it's unhea10TH based jusT on yoU being plump i have no idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions