Thanks for all of the comments on fasting guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You say it would be the same calories, but it wouldn't. It would be very hard to consume the same number of calories in those foods as in the junk foods - that's one of the problems (not the only one) with junk food.
I don't think there's any harm at all in eating junk food just not a lot all at once. I mean if you eat to much fruit all at once it's bad for you or drink to much water it's bad. It's all about moderation

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any harm at all in eating junk food just not a lot all at once. I mean if you eat to much fruit all at once it's bad for you or drink to much water it's bad. It's all about moderation
Oh, I'm definitely not anti-junk-food (gotta love a Hardee's mushroom and swiss burger). As you say, though, moderation is needed.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, I'm definitely not anti-junk-food (gotta love a Hardee's mushroom and swiss burger). As you say, though, moderation is needed.
Is the Hardee's burger junk food though? People throw the term about widely, it's probably calerie rich, but that doesn't to my mind make it junk,

I have a half pound cheese burger from my local shop, Drowned in salard, I consider that a healthy meal, giving all my nutritional needs

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the Hardee's burger junk food though? People throw the term about widely, it's probably calerie rich, but that doesn't to my mind make it junk,

I have a half pound cheese burger from my local shop, Drowned in salard, I consider that a healthy meal, giving all my nutritional needs
It is when you add the fries and shake. Which I always do. Of course, "junk food" is a pretty vague term - perhaps almost as vague as "McDojo".

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is when you add the fries and shake. Which I always do. Of course, "junk food" is a pretty vague term - perhaps almost as vague as "McDojo".
Well the fries are potatoes and the shake i assume milk all good,

Yes it's much the same as macdojo,it's a judgmental term applied to other people's diets,

It's not a term I use a lot, but if I was to Dr so, if point the finger a cake and other similar things that have a lot of Calleries s but little nutrition, but even then you have eggs and FLOur so not all bad

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nutrition studies used to suggest skipping breakfast was bad (there's still some evidence of that, but it seems it's much more nuanced than previously thought), but new studies provide some balance to that view. Folks telling you it's unhealthy are still following old thoughts. There's also evidence on both sides of the big last meal of the day. In other words, if it's actually working for your body (and it seems to be) keep at it, brother.
Here an interesting article, on 16 hour fasting and short brutal excersise, which is more or less what I do
Can autophagy be good for your health?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the fries are potatoes and the shake i assume milk all good,

Yes it's much the same as macdojo,it's a judgmental term applied to other people's diets,

It's not a term I use a lot, but if I was to Dr so, if point the finger a cake and other similar things that have a lot of Calleries s but little nutrition, but even then you have eggs and FLOur so not all bad
Yep, the fries are fried and (in the US at least) way too salted, which makes them far less than good for you. Similar with the ingredients of a cake - it's not the base that's so bad, but what's used to make it so danged tasty.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here an interesting article, on 16 hour fasting and short brutal excersise, which is more or less what I do
Can autophagy be good for your health?
I read another article that suggested regular 12-hour fasting (similar principle, obviously) or intermittent fasting days (defined as very low calories, though I don't recall the actual number). I can't seem to go to either completely - I get far too hungry, and it does bad things to me - but I try to get what I can from it by reaching for the 16-hour gap when I can.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep, the fries are fried and (in the US at least) way too salted, which makes them far less than good for you. Similar with the ingredients of a cake - it's not the base that's so bad, but what's used to make it so danged tasty.
But it doesNt make them" Far less than good for you", you could argue that they Are notas good as jacket potatoes, but that's the skin that increases theIr e nutritional value, but then lots of people don't eat the skin anyway
They are in no way BAD for you, Any Fat content they have will v miniscule and anyway you need fat in your diet like wise you need salt, particularly iF your working out and sweating a lot

The bulk of healthy eating advice is aiMe the % of the population that are obese and don't take excersise, in which case lay ofF the fries Is probably good advice if they make up a large % of your diet

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Research Spartan warrior Life. They weren't feasting. Spartans weren't even allowed to sleep inside the city until they were in there 30s.

They lived a very stringent life. Every thing was extremely uniform in Spartan Society.

Perhaps that's why we use the word spartan in the manner we do. :rolleyes:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But it doesNt make them" Far less than good for you", you could argue that they Are notas good as jacket potatoes, but that's the skin that increases theIr e nutritional value, but then lots of people don't eat the skin anyway
They are in no way BAD for you, Any Fat content they have will v miniscule and anyway you need fat in your diet like wise you need salt, particularly iF your working out and sweating a lot

The bulk of healthy eating advice is aiMe the % of the population that are obese and don't take excersise, in which case lay ofF the fries Is probably good advice if they make up a large % of your diet
You clearly have not had the fries in most restaurants in America. Those are absolutely shyte for you...if they weren't I would be the first one to rationalize eating them.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You clearly have not had the fries in most restaurants in America. Those are absolutely shyte for you...if they weren't I would be the first one to rationalize eating them.
Well that's a clear statement with absolutely no back up, in what way are they shYt for you ? They lack nutritional value that's true, but so do Peeled potatoes generaly

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well that's a clear statement with absolutely no back up, in what way are they shYt for you ? They lack nutritional value that's true, but so do Peeled potatoes generaly
There is a correlation between consumption of french fries and bad health outcomes, or even death. Now, it might be that people who eat a lot of french fries are overweight, thus, less likely to exercise regularly, or whatever. As for myself, when I am looking to lose weight or improve my numbers when I know a physical or checkup is coming up (and they come up every year now, if I want to keep my health insurance), I tend to shy away from fast food fries. A side benefit is, I feel better generally without them, even if my palate misses the salty crunchy goodness of a hot, crispy fry.

The Unfortunate Health Risks Of French Fries

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Again, it's more about the combination. Add fat (plenty of fat already in the burger) and salt (already enough of that in the burger, too). Now add a shake (minimal dairy, more fat, tons of sugar). The meal becomes less healthy than it could be by a large margin. By comparison, a raw potato (skin on, with pepper rather than salt) and glass of milk is hugely different. I'd truly classify many fries as "junk food" because most are fattier than necessary (not cooked hot enough) and far saltier than needed for taste. And the typical portion size (in the US) means all that is amplified.

But, in moderation, it's not so bad. I eat that meal a few times a year - probably fewer than 10. There are a few like it I eat, too, though less often. At that rate, they're not doing any real harm. They're still food - just less healthful than other alternatives.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a correlation between consumption of french fries and bad health outcomes, or even death. Now, it might be that people who eat a lot of french fries are overweight, thus, less likely to exercise regularly, or whatever. As for myself, when I am looking to lose weight or improve my numbers when I know a physical or checkup is coming up (and they come up ever year now), I tend to shy away from fast food fries. A side benefit is, I feel better generally without them, even if my palate misses the salty crunchy goodness of a hot, crispy frie.

Well I think you've answered the issue, an over abundance of fries will cause issue, your diet need to be balanced, as is often said correlation doesn't prove causation, the researchers clearly don't know why fries are bad for you, beyond the accepted norm that to much of anything is bad for you

I'm will to get there a stOng coroLation n between people who own cars and death

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a correlation between consumption of french fries and bad health outcomes, or even death. Now, it might be that people who eat a lot of french fries are overweight, thus, less likely to exercise regularly, or whatever. As for myself, when I am looking to lose weight or improve my numbers when I know a physical or checkup is coming up (and they come up ever year now), I tend to shy away from fast food fries. A side benefit is, I feel better generally without them, even if my palate misses the salty crunchy goodness of a hot, crispy frie.

A solid correlation, but with all the usual problems of that type of study (and a continuing problem for how those studies are reported by mainstream media). People who eat fries more often probably also eat burgers more often, and maybe also drink sodas more often. If it is as simple as that (other meals replaced by burger, fries, and soda), it's not hard to see how the link might be skewed.

Or fries might be awful. It's frustrating.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well I think you've answered the issue, an over abundance of fries will cause issue, your diet need to be balanced, as is often said correlation doesn't prove causation, the researchers clearly don't know why fries are bad for you, beyond the accepted norm that to much of anything is bad for you
If you cook fries at home, or trust the person making the fries, it is probably a safer bet than eating at a fast food place, where the fries are highly processed, and you just don't know how old the oil is that was used to fry the potatoes.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you cook fries at home, or trust the person making the fries, it is probably a safer bet than eating at a fast food place, where the fries are highly processed, and you just don't know how old the oil is that was used to fry the potatoes.
How are they processed ? And what difference does the age of the oil make?

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A solid correlation, but with all the usual problems of that type of study (and a continuing problem for how those studies are reported by mainstream media). People who eat fries more often probably also eat burgers more often, and maybe also drink sodas more often. If it is as simple as that (other meals replaced by burger, fries, and soda), it's not hard to see how the link might be skewed.

Or fries might be awful. It's frustrating.
I don't feel great eating fries. That I know. Usually fries are paired with high fat, high salt burgers, and high calorie shakes. I never eat a burger, fries and a shake meal like I used to as a kid. That is a seriously over the top meal. According to McDonalds website, a big mac, large fries and shake is 1570 calories, 67 gms fat, 199 gms of carb, and 43 gms of protein. Delete the shake and you are down to 1050 calories. Delete the fries, and you are down to 560 calories. Not great nutritionally, but if a big mac is the only thing you eat for lunch, at least you won't gain

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't feel great eating fries. That I know. Usually fries are paired with high fat, high salt burgers, and high calorie shakes. I never eat a burger, fries and a shake meal like I used to as a kid. That is a seriously over the top meal. According to McDonalds website, a big mac, large fries and shake is 1570 calories, 67 gms fat, 199 gms of carb, and 43 gms of protein. Delete the shake and you are down to 1050 calories. Delete the fries, and you are down to 560 calories. Not great nutritionally, but if a big mac is the only thing you eat for lunch, at least you won't gain
So that's about half the calories needed by an active male, if the other half includes sufficient nutrients t what's the problem ? just drop the shake if your watching your weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions