Umm... We gotta talk about BOB SAPP.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that. Once he gets knocked down a few dozen times by "soyboys" maybe he'll reevaluate his postion
Oh he certainly will have a lot to think about when a 100 pound woman is smacking him around the ring with ease which will certainly happen

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just for your information: current LHW UFC champion Jan Błachowicz barely can bench press 130 kg (286 lbs).
Here is the video (in polish), action in 7:30:
. But nobody can doubt he has KO power.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So? Having a big ego is an asset. It drove Yujiro Hanma and Napoleon Bonaparte into the highest annals of achievement. It's my turn to shine and join them in great-people heaven.
One of those is a character from an anime, and the other is a revolutionary whose ambition led to his downfall.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
One of those is a character from an anime, and the other is a revolutionary whose ambition led to his downfall.
Jesus Christ I didn’t even know it was an anime character as I’ve never watched any of that rubbish but my god using cartoons as examples lol

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
So? Having a big ego is an asset. It drove Yujiro Hanma and Napoleon Bonaparte into the highest annals of achievement. It's my turn to shine and join them in great-people heaven.

A fictional mafia guy from a bad anime is not a good role model to have for anyone IMO.

But if you're into anime and want to do boxing I highly recommend you watch Hajime no Ippo. On top of being one of the best anime out there, it's actually pretty well-researched and reasonably realistic. You'd learn a couple of things and get motivated. And once the restrictions ease up, join a boxing gym, in real life. It can only do you good.

Have a nice journey.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jesus Christ I didn’t even know it was an anime character as I’ve never watched any of that rubbish but my god using cartoons as examples lol
I looked it up. Might be an actual person and I missed that, but I don't think so.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I looked it up. Might be an actual person and I missed that, but I don't think so.

It was Fyodor Dostoyevsky, renowned author, who once said that eventually, people will draw the meaning of their lives through the arts.

I will embody Mister Hanma in the real world.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It was Fyodor Dostoyevsky, renowned author, who once said that eventually, people will draw the meaning of their lives through the arts.

So it is just the fictional dude. Wasn't it you laughing at someone else for trying to use brining which you thought was just from an anime? Or was that someone else?

This is also from that dude's wiki "Yujiro is a very cruel and arrogant man. He shows no mercy towards anybody, as he views mercy as a "weak" trait. Yujiro is also known to be emotionally manipulative - this can be seen in his relationships with his son and Emi Akezawa, for example. He seemingly lives only to fight and cause destruction to anything and everything he can. His whole life and mindset are dedicated to nothing but fighting and growing stronger with each person he defeats, sometimes killing them. He tends to kill people if pushed or enraged enough and does not show care or remorse when doing so. He will also kill for pleasure or satisfaction when he feels like it. He has a deep resentment for those who are weak and does not even think it's worth killing them. He desires for his son Baki to become strong like him, so he can enjoy a challenging fight with him as if Baki is a toy to him. He is also unexpectedly silent and stoic most of the time."

I don't know if that's someone you'd want to embody...

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So it is just the fictional dude. Wasn't it you laughing at someone else for trying to use brining which you thought was just from an anime? Or was that someone else?

This is also from that dude's wiki "Yujiro is a very cruel and arrogant man. He shows no mercy towards anybody, as he views mercy as a "weak" trait. Yujiro is also known to be emotionally manipulative - this can be seen in his relationships with his son and Emi Akezawa, for example. He seemingly lives only to fight and cause destruction to anything and everything he can. His whole life and mindset are dedicated to nothing but fighting and growing stronger with each person he defeats, sometimes killing them. He tends to kill people if pushed or enraged enough and does not show care or remorse when doing so. He will also kill for pleasure or satisfaction when he feels like it. He has a deep resentment for those who are weak and does not even think it's worth killing them. He desires for his son Baki to become strong like him, so he can enjoy a challenging fight with him as if Baki is a toy to him. He is also unexpectedly silent and stoic most of the time."

Monkey no!!

That piece of writing does not do him justice. I can't ask you to watch Baki on Netflix because that's a pretty big commitment, but dude, I swear, he has endearing qualities. The ORIGINAL Baki the Grappler, in it's early stages, portrayed Yujiro as despicably evil, but they slowly made him an anti-hero instead of a villain. And in the Netflix Baki, the dude is just completely awesome. He respected Muhammad Ali (who was in the show, for real) for being a great man who became the voice for the weak and oppressed.

Please don't think badly of him. He's my hero, the same way Napoleon is my hero as well. Exceptional men.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

i cant belive youve let him sucker you ibto discusibg anime charectors

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A fictional mafia guy from a bad anime is not a good role model to have for anyone IMO.

But if you're into anime and want to do boxing I highly recommend you watch Hajime no Ippo. On top of being one of the best anime out there, it's actually pretty well-researched and reasonably realistic. You'd learn a couple of things and get motivated. And once the restrictions ease up, join a boxing gym, in real life. It can only do you good.

Have a nice journey.

That's the plan.

Thanks.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Monkey no!!

That piece of writing does not do him justice. I can't ask you to watch Baki on Netflix because that's a pretty big commitment, but dude, I swear, he has endearing qualities. The ORIGINAL Baki the Grappler, in it's early stages, portrayed Yujiro as despicably evil, but they slowly made him an anti-hero instead of a villain. And in the Netflix Baki, the dude is just completely awesome. He respected Muhammad Ali (who was in the show, for real) for being a great man who became the voice for the weak and oppressed.

Please don't think badly of him. He's my hero, the same way Napoleon is my hero as well. Exceptional men.
And not real... sorry

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just for your information: current LHW UFC champion Jan Błachowicz barely can bench press 130 kg (286 lbs).
Here is the video (in polish), action in 7:30:
. But nobody can doubt he has KO power.

A 130kg is a pretty decent bench for a normal guy.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
About Bob Sapp...

Let me think of a few names here... Lesnar, Sapp, Pudzian, Thompson, Coleman, maybe more. These are dudes who were pretty big. Not FAT, just big with muscles. Let's not overcomplicate this discussion by weeding out the ones who can't lift X amount of weight. Come on, who cares? They're all strong enough.

Sincerely, that's the kind of boxer I wanna be. Minimal technique, lots of raw power. But Bob Sapp is a special case in that his record is just complete poop. He's a joke. But in another thread, I think it was KO-Karate who posted a picture of a "big" Sapp. Except that that picture didn't do Sapp justice, because it was Sapp out of his prime. It was Sapp reduced to James Thompson size. He wasn't the same. I'm talking about the Sapp who beat the living hell out of Ernesto Hoost. My God, it was like an off-season Ronnie Coleman with bigger joints. The version KO-Karate posted had far skinnier arms.

I just watched a YouTube documentary of the whole Sapp versus Hoost shenanigan. I watched both their fights, in which Sapp won both. Same scenario played out... Sapp bulldozed Hoost, TANKED EVERYTHING, then beat the living hell out of Hoost.

I mean, can't you all see the issue here? Hoost was on a winning streak for more than THREE YEARS before an ungraceful, but physically imposing monster ran through him. There's gotta come a point when an opponent is so strong that no amount of clever tricks can beat him. Take note, and I do have to emphasize, this wasn't the depleted Sapp that James Thompson beat. This was Silverback Sapp. And what amazed me more than anything in their first fight was the dude survived all of Hoost's leg kicks. A lankier fighter would not have been able to stand up after that.

I really do have to ask all of you what the appeal is over becoming another Nick Diaz. Why can't you all just eat a lot, lift a lot, and get big? AND THEN supplement all that lifting with SOME technique? More than discussing which one is more effective, we also gotta talk about the issue of which is more honorable. Look... If you are being bullied by a much bigger person who is being violent against you, by all means, become a better fighter. Learn the tricks. Learn techniques. You kinda HAVE to to survive. But to put all your hopes and chances of success on PURE TRICKERY? AND THEN WIN A FIGHT because you were too afraid to take the direct route? You took the path of least resistance?

Why do so many people in the world aspire to become the second Floyd May-feather-fist?

I'm not saying go crazy and rely on pure brute strength. That's stupid. What I'm saying is there is no honor in winning a fight because you know how to manipulate the human body in a way that a truly stronger fighter doesn't know how to deal with. People go to prize fights to be entertained. There is such a thing as too gruesome a fight. People still have compassion. But a few bruises here and there is fine. They want two warriors duking it out in an all-out assault, not dance around like an effeminate butterfly and sting like a bee at times when the opponent is not in a position to hit back.

Forget the term "martial arts". This is about fighting. Fighting, in its earliest days, is a ritualistic violence, a display of courage. If winning a fight truly becomes worth it, then yes, yes, yes. Learn tricks. It's justified. But sport combat is not war. This is entertainment. We all wanna see a good fight. Because if you're a boring fighter who keeps winning, and you are fighting in the Roman arena, and then you finally get bested, the audience are not gonna want you to be spared...

LIFT WEIGHTS.

Watch the comments on that video and realize the reality of being weak but clever in times that it's not called for.
You have watched way too much Baki. The reason, people aspire towards different styles is because, believe it or not, different people are better adapted towards different things. I have swam competitively for 7 years, lifted for 3, with many of my days involving 5 workouts a day. I specifically aimed to bulk up for those 3 years and went from 63kg, to 82kg, attempting to imitate the way Mike Tyson boxes. You think his boxing is pure strength? At first glance you might think so. But actually, it is one of the most advanced styles of boxing that no one has been able to replicate. I naturally levitate towards moving in and out, hitting fast, maintaining distance and dodging like Floyd Mayweather.

Muscle, mass, strength, agility - if you believe those are what determines the outcome of a fight you have so, so much to learn. Because regardless of your affinity for any of those factors, your body will move the way it prefers to, not the way you prefer to. Sure, you can make yourself faster and stronger. But it doesn't matter how big, fast, smart you are if your first instinct in a fight is to freeze up - and you overcome these instincts with experience.

Moreover, the idea that "there is no honour in the way I fight" posed by you, is as relevant to me as a 1st grader's opinion on tactical military plans - you talk big for someone who hasn't done a day of sparring in his life. The amount of times that the people in these forum, all whom have helped me significantly on my path over the last 1-2 years with their wisdom, have attempted to help you understand why your fighting philosophy is incorrect, has reached extreme levels, and you're too damn stubborn to see it. You're also super disrespectful to the idea of being a martial artist - it's not tricks, it's mastery. I would think you understand that given lifting requires you to do the same damn thing, day after day, for years on end even it's just for an extra gram's worth of success.

Here is some pictures to show you the differences in my body mass over my 3 years of lifting:
BEFORE
121485664_352432292535751_4946535510305529002_n.jpg

AFTER
121485698_352432059202441_7811882463797714481_n.jpg

Regardless of the increase in mass, it did not change the way my body naturally moves when I move. That is to say, I still naturally gravitate towards jumping around, dodging and keeping distance instead of attempting to use my physique to run people over. Why? Because it's natural to me. This isn't trickery. This isn't dishonour. The only thing I see, is you making excuses to justify have **** technique.

Last edited:

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Monkey no!!

Dude.
  • Raped a woman and killed her husband to father a son
  • Kills one of the inmates, not because of his death row conviction, but because he told him to mind his business
  • Literally killed thousands of people just to further his ambition, and enjoyed the process
  • Tortures and mocks his son in every way imaginable
  • Asked another one of the inmates to kidnap his son's girlfriend
  • Also raped his partner in the first anime (the fact she betrayed him doesn't mean anything)
  • Need I go on?
I understand you want to be strong - and the character is somehow portrayed as being a huge badass. But let's be real here. Shinogi Kocho and Kiyosumi Katou are way cooler.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is idiotic.
Besides, if you want to talk anime, the muscle-bound Hanma would be knocked off the planet in one punch by...

Saitama.
Saitama-in-a-crater-from-One-Punch-Man.jpg

So forget all that weight lifting and just shave your head!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really do have to ask all of you what the appeal is over becoming another Nick Diaz. Why can't you all just eat a lot, lift a lot, and get big? AND THEN supplement all that lifting with SOME technique? More than discussing which one is more effective, we also gotta talk about the issue of which is more honorable.
Eating a lot + lifting a lot and getting big
That is idiotic.
Besides, if you want to talk anime, the muscle-bound Hanma would be knocked off the planet in one punch by...

Saitama.
Saitama-in-a-crater-from-One-Punch-Man.jpg

So forget all that weight lifting and just shave your head!
ha ha ha.. mic drop and the reason why we don't use anime characters to discuss real life fighting. lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I mean, can't you all see the issue here? Hoost was on a winning streak for more than THREE YEARS before an ungraceful, but physically imposing monster ran through him. There's gotta come a point when an opponent is so strong that no amount of clever tricks can beat him.
Speaking as a person who has fought against bigger people..

Power, strength, and size are not all the same nor does being bigger mean you are stronger or more powerful. There is a reason why the majority of fighters don't look as you describe. After certain size you 'll start getting diminishing returns. If I had to guess a size limit then it would probably be the size of a muscular gymnast. If it was best practice for fighters to as large as professional body builders then would see gymnast and fighters at that size, but we don't. Even the heavy weight fighters don't match the same muscle mass that professional body builders of equal height have.

Latest Discussions