Thai Style Checking vs Jin Ji Du Li

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
How did a thread about Golden Rooster Stands on One Leg get turned into a clinch thread.

The OP asked about toe position in...

1647154092638.png

Anyways...if this is what we're on now...

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stone Locks and Kettlebells, dudes and dudettes.

You too, can laugh at the "Thai Clinch". Which is not the subject of this thread.

OP
Damien

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anyways...if this is what we're on now...

Hmmm... not sure biting ropes holding 15kg weights is going to be good for your teeth... The things people come up with. There are certainly other ways to train your neck, ones that don't involve herniating a disk from rolling on the floor too. I mean have they ever heard of changing your orientation to gravity?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm... not sure biting ropes holding 15kg weights is going to be good for your teeth... The things people come up with. There are certainly other ways to train your neck, ones that don't involve herniating a disk from rolling on the floor too. I mean have they ever heard of changing your orientation to gravity?
I agree, there are better ways to train the neck.

But truly man, where Lethwei goes, teeth are no so important.

OP
Damien

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's difficult to train your neck to be strong side way.

Instead of to pull your opponent's head forward, it will be more effective to push his head side way.

Keegan-rhino.gif

Just lie on your side on a bench, head extended over the end. Pop a weight plate on your head and flex away.

I think that move has less to do with the neck and more to do with general opposite rotation around the centre of mass. It also wouldn't be allowed in Muay Thai; no sweeping with the calf is permitted, which is a shame. So in the context of the clinch in MT, not viable. Elsewhere yes. All depends on your game plan too. You Can't drive their face into your knee if you've thrown them on the ground.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All depends on your game plan too. You Can't drive their face into your knee if you've thrown them on the ground.
It's easier to punch your opponent on the ground than to punch him when he is standing.

You punch when your opponent is

- standing, he may move back.
- on the ground, he is not going anywhere.

OP
Damien

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's easier to punch your opponent on the ground than to punch him when he is standing.

You punch when your opponent is

- standing, he may move back.
- on the ground, he is not going anywhere.

True enough, but if we're talking clinch game they're not stepping away from you and you're not punching.

All depends on rule set too. Some combat sports aren't big on the hitting people when they're down thing. Self defence is a different story of course. Also I'm not sure I'd want to clinch up in a street fight anyway, you lose too much situational awareness.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd want to clinch up in a street fight anyway, you lose too much situational awareness.
For me I probably wouldn't mind if thought I could clinch and then dump my attacker really quick. I definitely wouldn't want to hang around in a clinch in the same manner that we see in sports. Get in, get out. and don't stay longer than necessary.

OP
Damien

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For me I probably wouldn't mind if thought I could clinch and then dump my attacker really quick. I definitely wouldn't want to hang around in a clinch in the same manner that we see in sports. Get in, get out. and don't stay longer than necessary.
True, anything held for a moment is fine. A bit like going down to the ground, fine for a brief period, but not a good place to hang out if you don't have friends.

Also, I don't think you can check very effectively on the ground... (feeble attempt to get back on topic) :p

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd want to clinch up in a street fight anyway, you lose too much situational awareness.
Agree! In street fight, you want to take your opponent down, you then take off. You try to prevent your opponent from dragging you down. IMO, it takes less effort to take your opponent down than to knock him down in stand-up situation.

Today, people don't train take down and take off skill anymore.

my-knee-seize.gif

Last edited:
OP
Damien

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Agree! In street fight, you want to take your opponent down, you then take off. You try to prevent your opponent from dragging you down. IMO, it takes less effort to take your opponent down than to knock him down in stand-up situation.

Today, people don't train take down and take off skill anymore.

my-knee-seize.gif
Yep, I always tell people, if you don't have to stick around for a fight, don't.

Top 3 rules for self defence:
Avoid
Diffuse
Run away

Far less likely to get hurt if the situation never escalates or you aren't even there.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some combat sports aren't big on the hitting people when they're down thing. Self defence is a different story of course.
This is why the sport is only the path. The combat/self-defense is the goal.

In Chinese wrestling, you take down your opponent, you then

- kick his head
- drop your knee on his chest.

Those are the basic "follow up striking" lesson 101.

Lin-throw-kick.gif

head-lock-against-neck-tie.gif

Latest Discussions