Terrorism and Martial Arts

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
There is nothing wrong with persons receiving a mild form of Combat Training afterall there can not be a special agent or law enforcement officer in every home or airplane, or grocery store.
What is a mild form of Combat Training? Are there various levels? Does this lead to different levels of lethal capabilities? Should not everyone recieving Martial Instruction be afforded the same opportunities? If the goal isn't to
turn out Civilian Green Berets lol
then why deliver this as a separate program?

Please, no disrespect intended, rather, I'm just trying to understand your mandate.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Okay I will try to keep it simple. I am not just focusing on INTERNATIONAL TERRORISM!

Terrorism in any form the goal of this training is to allow People a familiarization course on LAW ENFORCEMENT Tactics.

I will give you an example if that helps. During a Dynamtic Entry the use of Flashbangs and Flash Grenades are used at times. Familiarization to this tactic could save a person from Standing up or trying to move around. Training Civilians to immeadately lie down in an eagle position during a Dynamic Entry is useful to both Law Enforcement Personnel and the safety of the Victim. SRT and HRT are well trained but there and have been cases of cross fire and friendly fire.

Allowing People the chance to familiarize with these kind of tactics will ensure or give a measure of Safety to Civilians.

There are differences in training for Domestic (common or street) terrorist vs an International Terrorist. Two different ways of Training different focus.

But we as Human Beings always focus on the International Terrorist not the common buglar or theft on this subject.

We need to change our way of thinking on the subject of Terrorism. Terrorism comes many different forms. Each Form of Terrorism requires training. The Standard Martial Artist will not train with Firearms (ususally) or Situational Training with prepares the mind for combat.

It is difficult to explain to traditional Martial Artist.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Why would it be difficult to explain to a traditional martial artist?

Will you actually be using flash-bang grenades?

Will anyone who takes these classes actually need training in how to fall down and cover your head?

OP
K

Kevin Walker

Gary Crawford said:
The difference is:You don't defend against terrorists,you KILL them.The hazmat stuff is a good idea also.The best defense against suicide bombers is awareness and the ability to recognize their behavior.You don't restrain suicide bombers either,you kill them and evacuate.
I think this is the bottom line of dealing with a real terrorist bent on mass destruction and defending against a common criminal: by simply killing the terrorist you save a lot of lives!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm confused...
I will give you an example if that helps. During a Dynamtic Entry the use of Flashbangs and Flash Grenades are used at times. Familiarization to this tactic could save a person from Standing up or trying to move around. Training Civilians to immeadately lie down in an eagle position during a Dynamic Entry is useful to both Law Enforcement Personnel and the safety of the Victim. SRT and HRT are well trained but there and have been cases of cross fire and friendly fire.
OK, this is great, I see an application for this, but this seems to be less about combatting "street terror" and more about facilitating police work, and allowing them to better carry out their duty, which is fine, but there's no 'combat' here for your students.

Allowing People the chance to familiarize with these kind of tactics will ensure or give a measure of Safety to Civilians.
Actually, it sounds as though the intent is to keep the students safe from police....

But we as Human Beings always focus on the International Terrorist not the common buglar or theft on this subject.
So what you are addressing then is your 'new' way of defining a thug or burgler as a terrorist? Sounds like marketing to me. As well:

We need to change our way of thinking on the subject of Terrorism. Terrorism comes many different forms. Each Form of Terrorism requires training. The Standard Martial Artist will not train with Firearms (ususally) or Situational Training with prepares the mind for combat.
Though I agree with the viewpoint, I do not grasp your justification. I think there are a great number of dojo that address the issues of tactics, situational awareness, 'street combat' weapons work, and personal safety without using the word 'terrorism'. You are right. The standard Martial Artist will not train with firearms. Unless they want to. In which case, they will. So they should with you? Why you? This hasn't been addressed here...

Why is that? How is a traditional martial artist lacking in their ability to grasp your revolutionary new idea?

Listen, I don't want to come off as antagonistic here, but you are making some real generalizations and suppositions here, which, I must say, seem kind of condescending. As well, it sounds more or less like you are trying to 'sell' me something. I'm not here to buy, I'm here to learn and discuss. If I'm off base here, please let me know.

OP
S

Spud

I’ve had the pleasure of working as a first responder in a variety of capacities (volunteer fire/EMS) The absolute number one rule is ensure scene safety for you and your crew. You don’t enter a uncontrolled scene, you don’t attempt to do something you’re not adequately trained for. A few days of training and a couple of nights of ride-alongs with cops isn’t going to put me in a better position to combat terror. I’m afraid it would encourage a little more cavalier attitude that would put first responders and LEO’s at more risk.

And sorry, I really don’t see the need for me, my mother or the kid next door to become familiar with being in a flash bang grenade situation. Now knowing how to evacuate my work place and a plan for reuniting my family during an emergency sounds much more valuable.

Good luck on your endeavor…

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
Okay I will try to keep it simple. I am not just focusing on INTERNATIONAL TERRORISM!

Terrorism in any form the goal of this training is to allow People a familiarization course on LAW ENFORCEMENT Tactics.

There are differences in training for Domestic (common or street) terrorist vs an International Terrorist. Two different ways of Training different focus.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser
I understand the program outline a bit better now. Like the concept, but what kind of relationship with the local police do/would these instructors have to ensure that you are aligned to what they do? How would this type of course be different from a civilian taking a civilian police program provided by the local LEO department where questions and exercises about these topics are covered?

As a civilian instructor, I would hesitate to try and teach terrorism awareness/response training and, instead, invite local LEO/Agencies that would be more versed in the topic. I know that some Fed. Agencies require so many hours of community service/contact so they might be willing to do it to satisfy that requirement. It is also a great way of building understanding and community cooperation with the Authorities. Too many times I read here and other places were people complain about how the law doesn't work or that LEO don't care about people... based on a few stories and urban legends instead of informed/educated opinion.

I like the application focus of your ideas, Martial arts is not just about "personal development" but also about application. You have to actually do it to learn it (even if it is in a toned down version to make it appropriate for fitness levels, familiarization and liabilty).

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Actually working on that portion of the Business. After the required Certifications are acheived on my part the connections to Federal,State and Local LE agenices will be contacted and being a former LE officer myself I have a few contacts to call upon.

You seen ahead good job. I would like to invite guest speakers to the school and hope to incorporate those lessons to the students.

My goal as I said is to eventually have a combat ranch where Law Enforcement Officals and the General Public can view each others training once approved for viewing of course.

The whole point we have to live together in this world and once we understand the threats and how they are dealt with the FEAR FACTOR will be controlled and or eliminated.

I would hope as time goes on I could get retired officers or others to come and be on a speaking forum on myraid of subjects to help the general population understand how to deal with terrorism.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Could you explain what these, "required certifications," are, exactly? I hadn't known there were any--are these new?

Just as a suggestion, I'd suggest avoiding using titles of popular TV shows?

OP
M

Mark Weiser

LOL I did not even notice the reference to that show lol.

Anyway there are college degrees on Counter Terrorism and Professional Certificates on being a certified instructor for Counter Terrorism. And by the way I can not share the sources lol. Trade Secert

Professional Certificates are a must in order to be accepted in Anti-Terrorism circles showing you are trained in this area.
Like going to a MA school saying I have studied for years but no Certificate then you are just making sound waves that no one will listen too.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

OP
R

rmcrobertson

A "trade secret," eh? Could you explain where exactly one takes college classes in, "counter terrorism?"

To quote a title: "there are no secrets."

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
A "trade secret," eh? Could you explain where exactly one takes college classes in, "counter terrorism?"

To quote a title: "there are no secrets."
For someone who doesn't post any training/personal information or details about who/what/where/when stuff on yourself, you really like to dig for credibility and information on others.

So much for your 'personal development', martial arts is "more than just fighting" philosophy. I don't see any equitable sharing, yin/yang balance of dialogue/information or any community contribution in any of this.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

John Jay College MA in Terrorist Studies
University of Maryland Master in National Security Affairs
Fairleigh Dickinson University Security and Terrorism Studies
American Institute of Homeland Defense
Institute For Security Technology Studies
Ohio State
Naval Post Graduate School
American Military University
University of Missouri at Columbia

This a portion of the list lol.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
John Jay College MA in Terrorist Studies
University of Maryland Master in National Security Affairs
Fairleigh Dickinson University Security and Terrorism Studies
American Institute of Homeland Defense
Institute For Security Technology Studies
Ohio State
Naval Post Graduate School
American Military University
University of Missouri at Columbia

This a portion of the list lol.
I think ESI and other Executive Protection training firms also include Terrorism related cert. areas as well.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

If you look at my website link in my signature I have an very detailed resume about my qualifications and work history along with experience and training.

Mark E. Weiser

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Clearly, Paul, you haven't read much that I've written.

Nor have you paid attention: the claim was a) trade secrets; b) college certification: I simply asked where.

But it is good to see that there's as much phonyism in this as there is in, say, education, and that I was quite right about these militarizations of society.

Thank ahura-mazda that I read Paul Virilio's books on, "dromocracy," years ago. And that about the FIRST thing I ever read about terrorism was that terrorism works by getting bourgeois societies to adopt increasingly repressive and militarized measures.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Clearly, Paul, you haven't read much that I've written.

Nor have you paid attention: the claim was a) trade secrets; b) college certification: I simply asked where.

But it is good to see that there's as much phonyism in this as there is in, say, education, and that I was quite right about these militarizations of society.

Thank ahura-mazda that I read Paul Virilio's books on, "dromocracy," years ago. And that about the FIRST thing I ever read about terrorism was that terrorism works by getting bourgeois societies to adopt increasingly repressive and militarized measures.
I have read enough to know that there has never been a case of "simply asking" anything in your posts. As far as the rest....I don't care what you have read or your books/author references. Dripping sarcasm and sneering disdain for anything that you don't agree with is obvious. All your books and edumacational claims don't answer the simple questions about courtesy, obviously.

Here is as direct as I can get:

What art/school/system are you a student of and to what rank level?

You claim to be a professor or educator at a college/university level, where?

YOu feel free to ask away and question everything down the information highway on the rest of us, how about putting something on the table yourself?

Challenge? Partly, yes. Backing out on the grounds of 'refusing to play childish games' stuff is not going to cut it either. Call it quid pro quo, tit for tat, good for the goose/gander, in for a penny in for a pound or what ever you want but if you are going to disect everyone elses posts and opinions and backgrounds it does seem only fair that you share as much info as you are asking for or using to discount the rest of us and our discourse abilities.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Gets out his fire extinguisher and stands at the ready to put out the fire that is smouldering. You guys lol

Mark E. Weiser

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
Gets out his fire extinguisher and stands at the ready to put out the fire that is smouldering. You guys lol

Mark E. Weiser
Don't worry, He'll go right back on my ignore list. Every once in a while I 'unignore' him to see what he has to say....nothing new. It does keep it interesting though.:)

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Absolutely...right...couldn't agree more...hey, wait a minnit, I thought the accusation was that I didn't share enough?

I teach at a tiny college out West. I have a good solid doctorate, and a good solid rank in American kenpo at a good school. I teach that, too, often to students who I believe will become far better than I will. And yourself?

Oh wait--I forgot--like Mr. Weiser, I use my own good name.

Want more sharing? I dislike the commercialization of violence and paranoia.

Latest Discussions