Terrorism and Martial Arts

M

Mark Weiser

There seems to be a growning interest by the general population on how to combat terrorism. One of the reasons I started my business was to assist others in learning how to deal with terrorism in any form. Criminal or Domestic, International Incidents such as Airline,Maritime, etc....

Now the question is how much emphasis do you as a Martial Artist train for such incidents and if you teach do you ever approach this subject in your School?

I was approached by a group that may offer me a full time paid position(after reveiw of qualifications of course) to assist the direction of Terrorism Training for First Responders and other Gov't personnel. I was wondering if this is a flash in the Pan type movement or as I think it is a permanent direction we need to go in the Martial Arts Field.

Let me know
Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
There seems to be a growning interest by the general population on how to combat terrorism. One of the reasons I started my business was to assist others in learning how to deal with terrorism in any form. Criminal or Domestic, International Incidents such as Airline,Maritime, etc....

Now the question is how much emphasis do you as a Martial Artist train for such incidents and if you teach do you ever approach this subject in your School?

I was approached by a group that may offer me a full time paid position(after reveiw of qualifications of course) to assist the direction of Terrorism Training for First Responders and other Gov't personnel. I was wondering if this is a flash in the Pan type movement or as I think it is a permanent direction we need to go in the Martial Arts Field.

Let me know
Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser
I think it is going to be like any other 'craze' in commercial martial arts. Before the UFC went popular, grappling was just another art, now there is the whole MMA craze.

I would say, for civilians, if you teach force continuums/use of force stuff within the existing self defense program AND are using scenario/tactical elements that put students into assessment, planning and acting situations then they will be as prepared for "Terrorism" as they can be. On an individual level, terrorism requires the same skills as any self defense situation. Read the situation and devise an appropriate response.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see Osama running down my block, and if he was, I don't imagine my empty handed technique would be of much use.

As for first responders--and my job makes it likely I will be a first responder--I think much more useful training would be in hazmat protection and triage. And I have been trained in this, but not by my sensei.

OP
G

Gary Crawford

I got got started in the anti-terrorism business when I attended a seminar that featured GM John Peligrini,Master Carlson Gracie Jr and Professor Gary Dill on Sept 29,2001.This was originally was suppost to be a "blending" seminar.After 9-11 occured,Gary Dill decided to change the venue.At the time, many of us who were members of SDS decided to take the whole idea completely serious,so we kept on training and researching the possibilities.Since I am a cold war USAF(SAC) veteran,I guess I took it to heart more than most and did most of my MA training with lethal force as a focus.I kept on going to Gary Dill's seminars until I got my instructors licence from him.I'm not sure how serious Proffesor Dill really is about it since money is a major motivator of his.I however do take it serious and hope to hell that it's all for not.There are many things that terrorists could do that none of us could stop,like suicide bombings,dirty bombs ect.,but we can stop some things.As we continue with no terrorists attacks on the U.S.,we forget the possibilities.I think since the terrorists organisations are concintrating thier efforts on Iraq,we are safe for the time being,but sooner or later they will be back.Unlike Mr.Weiser,I only concentrate on forein terrorists.What he is doing is a good idea also,and one day I will do the same.As long as terrorists attacks don't happen here,my material will loose popularity(which is fine with me) but if it does happen again,we'll all be kicking ourselves in the ***!BTW-I changed the name of my training to Counter-Terrorism after a conversation with Hock Hockheim(a former SDS member)

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Let's see, what exactly makes personal self-defense against terrorists different from other situations? I can think of:
1.) They're more likely to be armed with some kind of rifles than handguns (or are they?), 2.) You may have to deal with suicidal attackers, particularly the variety with explosives attached to themselves.

Is there really that much else (in terms of peronal self-defense and martial arts)? Is there some type of training that specializes in teaching how an unarmed individual can prevent a suicide bomber from detonating his explosives? If so, is it different from restraining a normal armed attacker?

Phoenix44's hazmat protection and triage training seems more important to me.

OP
G

Gary Crawford

The difference is:You don't defend against terrorists,you KILL them.The hazmat stuff is a good idea also.The best defense against suicide bombers is awareness and the ability to recognize their behavior.You don't restrain suicide bombers either,you kill them and evacuate.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First of all, I mean no disrespect to those teaching counter-terrorism techniques or to the soldiers who are actually fighting terrorism. Reason dictates that I throw out this question though...couldn't we save more lives by convincing people to stop smoking, eat better, or wear their seatbelt? Just how much can a regular citizen accomplish?

For what its worth...

upnorthkyosa

OP
G

Gary Crawford

You are right.There are many ways to save countless lives everyday like you said.If I could convince people to not do stupid things I would( and I try daily),but a terrorist act is a planned event designed to further a radical political agenda.I really don't have much luck saving people from themselves.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
First of all, I mean no disrespect to those teaching counter-terrorism techniques or to the soldiers who are actually fighting terrorism. Reason dictates that I throw out this question though...couldn't we save more lives by convincing people to stop smoking, eat better, or wear their seatbelt? Just how much can a regular citizen accomplish?

For what its worth...

upnorthkyosa
Yes, you're correct in terms of actual numbers, but everyone needs an area of specialty, no?

It's honorable to live a life trying to save others, and I see this as one venue among many. One part of the complete package.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
The difference is:You don't defend against terrorists,you KILL them.The hazmat stuff is a good idea also.The best defense against suicide bombers is awareness and the ability to recognize their behavior.You don't restrain suicide bombers either,you kill them and evacuate.
Again, if your program already has a decent force continuum based on the local use of force/deadly force laws - or at least aligned to them, then you will be training to read the threat, apply/react with the appropriate level of force. If that threat is a common criminal or a terrorist, lethal force would have be justified by that bad guys actions/intent/proximity.... So, other than terminology, the training would essentially be the same for me.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Thanks for all the postings. The main thrust of this business is to train folks to deal with Violent Confrontations to give them the neccessary tools and information to observe also the reaction needed within the confines of law.

There again Terrorism is not just some person with polictical or religious ideaology but the individual that causes fear and capitalizes on that reaction.

The program(s) I am putting into place is with reaction training in the use of situational episodes along with Self defensive tactics, and the use of deadly force when neccessary and the legal aspects of that action. My hopes is to set up a combat ranch in which person(s) can train and be familiarized with Police Tactics and SRTs hopefully in the next 5 years.

In the event of a terrorist incident by any definition these folks will know what the proper responses should be on thier part when SRT and Law Enforcement personnel arrive on scene.

I am not trying to create Rambos lol. But familiarization is neccessary to prevent friendly fire and accidental fatalities in these incidents.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Let's see, what exactly makes personal self-defense against terrorists different from other situations? I can think of:
1.) They're more likely to be armed with some kind of rifles than handguns (or are they?), 2.) You may have to deal with suicidal attackers, particularly the variety with explosives attached to themselves.

This doesn't seem the case in the most likely (but still very unlikely) event that that I (or we) as Americans would face with a terrorist. Yes, they would be probably suicidal, but they would have a more severe goal than killing a lone American or small group of Americans. They would more likely be interested in killing thousands of Americans or kiddinaping for publicity. Terrorists that have the motivation and resources to get to American soil are cagey enough to realize that, because there are so few of them, they are more valuble as spys or in larger operations like 9/11, than in isolated sacrifice like singluar suicide bombing. This means physical self-defense and awarness are still viable defenses. The restrictions of the US government (especially after 9/11) also make it too hard for terrorists to easily attain and effectivly use guns and explosives.

The real reason this is an issue is the tradegy of 9/11. The terrorists used boxcutters in a situation where they could've been subdued or eliminated considering the greater number of passengers and possibility of a passenger/s with edged weapons and tactics training. The real reason for the tradgedy of 9/11 was the well known policy of allowing the process of negotiation and ransom that in this case didn't exist, and the effect of terror on the passengers. If the intent of the terrorists had been known, many people on the plane would've acted, but they were under the impression that this was a kidnap/ransom situation. I know this may sound a tad arrogant as it is after the fact and I haven't been in the situation, but I can say with confidence that I would definitly have taken action in that situation against a man with a single edged boxcutter, especially in a confined space where his freinds have limited access to help and where the other passengers outnumber the terrorists more than 2-1.

My personal opinion is that there will be no attacks of the 9/11 type because we have given them too many roadblocks, but there will be attack that are potentially as or more devistating though from a different vector, like chemical plant sabatoge and water supply poisoning. Self-defense is not very effective against this type of attack, but awarness is very effective. I would say if you wish to help on the homefront in the fight against terror, send a care package to a U.S. soldier and keep you eyes peeled here on US soil.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

I appreciate your honest opinion however too many focus on a terrorist that has a religious or polictical agenda. That is what will hurt or even kill people. Remember the act of Terrorism is to instill FEAR.

Anyone robbed at knife or gunpoint or to be given the feeling of powerlessness or hopelessness by a criminal. This Criminal is a Terrorist by definition. We have to quit listening to the media and start looking at our our block and do what we can to curb these terrorist from selling drugs,robbing children and the Senior Citizens, Home Invasions, etc........

The problem with most Folks they have never been exposed to severe and oftern violent confrontations. I am hoping that myself and others in the Network will correct this problem by education and training to overcome this fear factor if you do this then you have take away the greatest weapon any criminal act or person will try to use in the commission of any terrorist act.

We have to stop thinking of Terrorism as a International Issue when the common American is faced with Domestic Terrorism in our homes and neighborhoods by common thugs.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

OP
K

Kevin Walker

Hi,

What aspect of Martial Arts training would be specific to combating terrorism that it does not already contain to combat violent crime in general?

Everything I have learned in self-defense has been against aggravated assault by a weapon wielding assailant: a mugger, a mafioso, a pirate, a kidnapper, a rapist, or a lunatic.

But not against a suicide car driver, or a suicide bomb thrower, or the heavily concealed nail bomb or other henious booby-trap! What good is your martial arts training against an unexpected car-bomb or van-bomb going off next to you?

Of course if a terrorist if running down a street holding a bomb in his hand, then any football or basketball playing jock can tackle the guy, which really does not requre years or decades of specialized martial arts training to do.

I don't see the terrorist if confronted by a well trained martial artist as anymore of a problem than the highly motivated criminal.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Your correct up to a point. I will try to explain the mindset of a ordinary citzen is not to react correctly to a potentially fatal incident.

Martial Art Instructors need to realize that most people are concerned about Terrorism in any form. You if to be successful in running a school you have to address this issue.

You may train the body but there is the other side of the issue that is the Mind.

There again I am not here to change your opinion but I see a need that needs to be taken care of and I will do my personal best to do so.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Should martial arts really be about creating a culture in which everyone is on guard all the time, a culture that becomes more and more militarized in an endless attempt to respond to every conceivable threat? Shuld martial arts teachers really be focusing on matters that, almost always, will be well outside their area of expertise?

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Not every MA Instructor is cut out to be in this field. Unless you have had Law Enforcement Experience and or Specialized Training in Couter Terrorism thur Federal Agencies or Private Corporations that teach this area,then you should not teach Anti-Terrorism Tactics,I was saying we as MA Instructors should be aware of the needs of our students and public.

I am sorry if that preception is there that you must teach to deal with Terrorism but if your student ask questions or wishes to train in this area the prospect of available training sites would an asset to the client/student.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Why, exactly, do you feel that citizens really need, "combat training?"

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Honestly I would not see it as a horrible thing for certain people to be trained in Combat Techs. The Owner of the Training Center will have to be very selective on prospective students.

There is nothing wrong with persons receiving a mild form of Combat Training afterall there can not be a special agent or law enforcement officer in every home or airplane, or grocery store.

People have mispreceptions on what this kind of training is it is not to turn out Civilian Green Berets lol. But familiarization to tactics and procedures they may come across if and when they are held in a terrorist incident either at home or on foregin travels. And if neccessary the skills to combat that person. I have not seen a MA Instructor to teach another student how to kill if neccessary.

That is not the current standard in MA it takes a special teacher to train in this area due to some MA Instructors do not see this kind of training as real Martial Arts.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

OP
R

rmcrobertson

How will you choose these special students?

How, exactly, will this, "special training?" help if your plane's jacked? If you're at a cafe that gets bombed? Wouldn't a basic CPR/first aid course be a lot more useful? If you were, say, a member of the HRT, would you want some amateur in there fooling around?

Why do you equate, "how to kill if necessary," with this sort of training?