Terrible fight management

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So as some will see my daughter had her first Muay Thai and she won it by a very easy decision but that's not the main subject of the thread. The girl she was fighting should never have been In that ring. It wasnt just she was outclassed she was literally terrible had no style her basics looked like someone who'd had a week of training. I was appalled by her coach letting her fight in the ring there's no way she was ready.

The fight started and my daughter was fighting at 100% and was knocking her around the ring and frankly the fight should've been stopped but the referee was one of her training partners (yeah real impartial there) and wasnt going to stop it. I could see quick that this girl had nothing she looked frankly confused in that ring and simply had no idea what to do. At the end of the round I saw the ref had no intention of stopping and the girl wasnt going to quit (fair play on her heart but stupid) so I just told my daughter to turn it down and not to go 100% especially to the head because I was genuinely scared she'd kill her or do her serious injury if she fought to her best. She listened and basically out worked her but kept out a lot of power.

But my point is that this kind of thing should not be allowed to happen. It was an amateur fight but there should've been someone who should've said no to her fighting. Her coach being the main one surely he must've known she wasn't ready and second the promoter should've taken a closer look. It's scary how this kind of thing can still happen. This is how people die in the ring and I've seen it happen a few times and it's a horrible thing.

There we go rant over.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, on the one hand, your daughter has 14 years of experience in martial arts by the sound of it. Maybe not in Muay Thai, but 14 years worth of learning techniques and reading people. I would pick someone with 14 years experience in various martial arts over someone with just 2-3 years in Muay Thai. If this is her first fight, it's probably the other girls' first fight as well. I'm just saying, the fact that she was in the ring doesn't sound like such a bad deal. It's experience for her, and her coaches might not have known how experienced her opponent was, when her opponent was in her "first fight".

On the other hand, once in the ring, and once it was clear she was out-classed, her coaches should have called in the towel as a learning experience.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, on the one hand, your daughter has 14 years of experience in martial arts by the sound of it. Maybe not in Muay Thai, but 14 years worth of learning techniques and reading people. I would pick someone with 14 years experience in various martial arts over someone with just 2-3 years in Muay Thai. If this is her first fight, it's probably the other girls' first fight as well. I'm just saying, the fact that she was in the ring doesn't sound like such a bad deal. It's experience for her, and her coaches might not have known how experienced her opponent was, when her opponent was in her "first fight".

On the other hand, once in the ring, and once it was clear she was out-classed, her coaches should have called in the towel as a learning experience.
It wasnt that it was the experience problem It was the fact the other girl looked like total garbage and couldn't even throw basic punches and kicks. If you nearly fall over when trying to throw a leg kick then you shouldn't even be sparring let alone fighting

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Obviously it's hard to tell without seeing the fight but sometimes there is more going on than meets the eye. It's possible that the girl your daughter fought had been training for a long time and had insisted on taking the fight, thinking she was ready. In this situation, when you have a student who thinks they are amazing but they actually aren't, sometimes the best thing to do is to put them into the competition to show them how wrong they are.

I've done this in the past with 1 of my springboard divers who thought he was amazing and that attitude was halting his progression. So I put him into a competition and he ended up last place in his age group. After seeing the other people he was competing against he realised he wasn't nearly as good as he thought and took his training a lot more seriously.

Now of course fighting in a ring is different to a diving competition, but the principle still applies. Is it the right thing to do? The jury's out on that but it's a bad idea to judge on face value.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Treat the ring seriously because your opponent will.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Obviously it's hard to tell without seeing the fight but sometimes there is more going on than meets the eye. It's possible that the girl your daughter fought had been training for a long time and had insisted on taking the fight, thinking she was ready. In this situation, when you have a student who thinks they are amazing but they actually aren't, sometimes the best thing to do is to put them into the competition to show them how wrong they are.

I've done this in the past with 1 of my springboard divers who thought he was amazing and that attitude was halting his progression. So I put him into a competition and he ended up last place in his age group. After seeing the other people he was competing against he realised he wasn't nearly as good as he thought and took his training a lot more seriously.

Now of course fighting in a ring is different to a diving competition, but the principle still applies. Is it the right thing to do? The jury's out on that but it's a bad idea to judge on face value.
No it's the coaches responsibility to say no. In fighting if your not good you don't just lose you can get seriously hurt or killed

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No it's the coaches responsibility to say no. In fighting if your not good you don't just lose you can get seriously hurt or killed

You could say that about a lot of different sports, and I'm a firm believer in both the coach and the athlete taking responsibility, not just the coach. Pinning all the blame on the coach seems a little unfair when you don't know the full story. And like I said before, sometimes the best way to show someone their bad habits is to put them into a competition. Is it risky? Yes, but sometimes it is a risk worth taking.

Personally I would put more of the blame on the referee above everyone else. After all, the referee's number 1 responsibility (according to the world muay thai council guidelines) is to "prevent a weaker boxer from receiving undue and unnecessary punishment". If the fight was as 1-sided as you claim then the ref should have stopped the fight.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You could say that about a lot of different sports, and I'm a firm believer in both the coach and the athlete taking responsibility, not just the coach. Pinning all the blame on the coach seems a little unfair when you don't know the full story. And like I said before, sometimes the best way to show someone their bad habits is to put them into a competition. Is it risky? Yes, but sometimes it is a risk worth taking.

Personally I would put more of the blame on the referee above everyone else. After all, the referee's number 1 responsibility (according to the world muay thai council guidelines) is to "prevent a weaker boxer from receiving undue and unnecessary punishment". If the fight was as 1-sided as you claim then the ref should have stopped the fight.
The coach is the one who has a duty of care over their fighter. It's not just risky it's stupid what if that girl died or got brain damage for what? Just so the coach can say I told you so. The coach is the one in charge they have the power to call off the fight or not even accept the fight and they have the power to refuse to train them for it and without a coach there's no fight since you can't compete without a corner team

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The coach is the one who has a duty of care over their fighter. It's not just risky it's stupid what if that girl died or got brain damage for what? Just so the coach can say I told you so. The coach is the one in charge they have the power to call off the fight or not even accept the fight and they have the power to refuse to train them for it and without a coach there's no fight since you can't compete without a corner team

Yes you are right, but my point is that the coach isn't tge only person responsible here. The fighter and referee are also responsible for what happens in the ring.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It must be difficult being a fight promoter. Some match ups are easy, the obvious ones, but I'll bet it's often a difficult thing to do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It must be difficult being a fight promoter. Some match ups are easy, the obvious ones, but I'll bet it's often a difficult thing to do.

We had two guys from our own club fight an exhibition one had been training a couple of years and the other was part of our 12 week fighters program.

Anyway our 12 weeker was this really tentative guy who in sparring would punch you then apologize.

We couldn't find him a match so we set him up with one of our fighters.

Our 12 weeker knocked the fighter out inside a minute.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not the promototer I blame for this one as both were making their debut so it made sense but the coach is the one that's seen their fighter train and should've known better simply but tbh I know that coach and it doesn't surprise me at all he pulled a move like that. He's one of those alpha male coaches who'd rather a fighter die than throw in the towel

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
so I just told my daughter to turn it down and not to go 100% especially to the head because I was genuinely scared she'd kill her or do her serious injury if she fought to her best. She listened and basically out worked her but kept out a lot of power.
I have a lot of respect for you doing this and for people in general who do similar things.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are two sides to every story. I'd like to hear the other side. Any video of the fight?

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for you doing this and for people in general who do similar things.
It was an amateur fight so there was no money getting paid for a finish so what would the point be of going hard for a finish and potentially seriously putting someone at risk. I mean even with money it's not worth it but still. Yeah I know eugbank did the same thing with his kid a while back.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just heard the same gym just had a fighter compete in a match this evening and the fighter is now in a coma and had only been training for 4 weeks...

Latest Discussions