terminology question

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello.

Can anyone tell me the Korean equivalent for the Japanese term uke, as in "I'd like to introduce my uke for this demonstration, Mr. XYZ"?

Cheers,

Simon

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never heard anyone use it. Most people would say partner or assistant rather than throw in a random Korean word there. Karate/Judo is big on using the term uke, but I've never really heard a Korean equivalent used.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've not noticed any term being used, but we don't do those kinds of scenarios all that often. When I teach hosinsul I just say partner. The Korean word for assailant is 공격자 (kongkyeokja), but it's not the equivalent of uke, as I understand it.

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk 2

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the term uke, or partner, or 'tackling dummy' or 'moving target' or...
It doesn't all need to be strict and formal. :)

OP
SJON

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"Crash test dummy" had occurred to me, but this actually is for a more formal setting. I think I'll just go with "assistant" or "colleague" (or Spanish equivalent).

Thanks,

Simon

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello.

Can anyone tell me the Korean equivalent for the Japanese term uke, as in "I'd like to introduce my uke for this demonstration, Mr. XYZ"?

Cheers,

Simon
I researched this some time back and this is what I came up with this:

For uke: Badgi 받기 (hanja 受け)
For nage: Deonjigi 던지기 (hanja 投げ)

I don't know how correct or accurate this is, or if it was something that another school used and posted online (it has been more than eight years since I chased this down). None of my sabeomnim ever used the term, whether they were from Korea or not.

Regardless of how hard I looked, I never found anything resembling a common use Korean equivalent for these terms. It could simply be that the terms are not used. In Korean sword arts, terminology isn't nearly as detailed as it is in JSA. You just didn't have every little thing broken down and given a new word.

When I work with my own students, I just refer to them as partners, with one receiving the technique that is being taught and the other executing it. Sometimes, I use attacker and defender.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sjon, I speak Korean. The term you are looking for is 조교 - jo kyo - and it means assistant instructor. It would be appropriate to use. Students should respectfully address the person as 조교님 (jo kyo neem).

For the other guy: 받기 means to receive. The form is present participle; thus receiving. 던지기 means to throw. Likewise pp, throwing.

Best,

R.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the other guy: 받기 means to receive. The form is present participle; thus receiving. 던지기 means to throw. Likewise pp, throwing.

But is this term used commonly in Korean martial arts, specifically hapkido and maybe taekwondo?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my experience, you usually just use the english terms. I dont see why not, unless youre like me, and think that the word Uke sounds cool :p

OP
SJON

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yep, uke sounds cool, and a Korean version would be cool too, but I think I'll just use the Spanish version.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Cheers,

Simon

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Then I would avoid usage of the term myself. IMO a big reason why we endeavor to use Korean terminology is to try to learn and then convey correct context of the material for ourselves and our students and if the word isn't already in hapkido or taekwondo....

Thanks for the information!

OP
SJON

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I gave you the right term.

I don't doubt it. But then you answered "no" to the question as to whether it would be usual in a KMA context.

Perhaps I'm missing your point.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't doubt it. But then you answered "no" to the question as to whether it would be usual in a KMA context.

Perhaps I'm missing your point.

I answered no in terms of mistranslated "badji" because that is what was quoted. The term I gave is used in kma.

Latest Discussions