Tenjindo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Grading can be a little funny sometimes in the Kan, or any other "Ninjutsu" school for that matter.
My original Shidoshi Frank Hill was promoted to a Hachidan, good for it. He is one of the best practitioners I have met.
I like the way RVD moves, not keen on the video thing.
In Atlanta I was a little dismayed sometimes as to some people who were "megadans"
Though sometimes I think Sokes unique approach to grading is refreshing, based on contribution etc.
Sometimes though hmm. I remember 5 years ago assisting a young (13) to becomea nikyu. He is now a Godan I believe...at 18 that seems a tad young to respect what it means. But that is just my opinion, as I haven't seen him since the yellow belt days, his teacher though is a really good artist and underranked IMO.
I would have very much liked to have seen some of the older Shihan such as Ed Martin in the younger days.
It's too bad sometimes you see Judans who can't do a Koho Kaiten.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Good to see that Luke is training like we did in Japan. He is a great guy. Humble, combat experienced and always eager to learn.

I agree about Luke. I also happen to know that he starts people out in his dojo with very basic-level kihon, both to build a good foundation and as a way of screening people.

Agree with your comments on training as well.

How did we end up talking about him?

Because on page 1, Ralph said:

r.severe said:
Anyway I have and have had the only school in the Dallas area from 1985...
www.artofcombat.com

I know that another guy traines up north of the Dallas area.. but forgot his name.. he is a high ranked Bujinkan member.. Luke shihan.. I believe.

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
These are some really good points.. all three..
I can agree on most of it.. and I can disagree on most of it too...
....... here's why....
In my opinion, from what I have experienced watching the kihon happo, sanshin no gata…from daikomyosai, taikai and training tapes.. seminars and taikai personally… I feel the basic striking skills, fitness levels in aerobic power, biometrics, etc.. should be focused on to improve health… because something is missing in what I see… and maybe it’s the same in Japan… too. But the over all abilities of the people I seen just are not cutting it.. and I don’t feel being a smoker, drinker or drug user is a very good example for a guide in bujutsu…
Doing these skills such as ‘movie based’ training in my opinion goes nowhere and it there for the cash.. catching the fantasy type students as they fly by…
Where are the push-ups, crunches, etc.. for fitness?
Here lies the main difference in what I call training and others call training… fitness and fighting ability…
Hatsumi sensei doesn’t move like he does from ‘movie’ stuff.. he moves totally different and gives totally different examples as he teaches on how to move, stance, break balance, hit.. etc… doesn’t look ‘movie’ like to me… not what I see in others on the stages or in the dojo…
Not that it’s bad or for everyone… ‘movie’ madness just ain’t for me…

No disrespect... but.....
I just can't get it out of my head watching the megadans.. move and just fall over each other then way they do... as well.... if in fact they teach kihon happo or sanshin no gata.. because it sure doesn't look like it to me...
Looks like they are on some vacation after black belt or... godan... and forgot fitness and training themselves..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Holds his tounge... Not going to say it... not...

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
r.severe said:
Doing these skills such as ‘movie based’ training in my opinion goes nowhere and it there for the cash.. catching the fantasy type students as they fly by…

Your term "movie based training" first came up earlier on this page in reference to Luke Molitor, where you said,

I believe from the conversations the "movie stuff" was referring to the low postures, slow movement, forms, etc...
That's not bad in any way.. not at all..

You know, the kinds of things you can't really begin learning Budo Taijutsu without. Would it be asking too much for you to be consistent?

Hatsumi sensei doesn’t move like he does from ‘movie’ stuff.. he moves totally different and gives totally different examples as he teaches on how to move, stance, break balance, hit.. etc… doesn’t look ‘movie’ like to me. . .

People who want to be able to do the kinds of things he does need to train the way he wants them to train. People throughout the Bujinkan have varying degrees of understanding of just what that means; as a general rule, however, the ones who spend the most time with him (especially those who've been doing so in the last, say, 5 or 6 years into the present) are the most likely to have a clue.

Here lies the main difference in what I call training and others call training… fitness and fighting ability…
not what I see in others on the stages or in the dojo…
Not that it’s bad or for everyone… ‘movie’ madness just ain’t for me…

No disrespect... but.....
I just can't get it out of my head watching the megadans.. move and just fall over each other then way they do... as well.... if in fact they teach kihon happo or sanshin no gata.. because it sure doesn't look like it to me...
Looks like they are on some vacation after black belt or... godan... and forgot fitness and training themselves...

Actually -- and leaving aside the very unlikely prospect that you actually understand what you're seeing on the videos -- I see a lot of disrespect here in your implication that you know more about how to train properly for Bujinkan budo than Hatsumi sensei and the shihan.

At the end of page 1, I mentioned,

I think it can be expected that any judan recommendations at this point will be closely scrutinized, and Soke may very well simply veto some of them occasionally.

Part of the reason I mentioned that is that when I was in Japan a couple of months ago I was given a startling example of what long memories Soke and the shihan have about people. A friend of mine had been having a conversation a couple of days before with one of the new Japanese 15th dans about me, and the shihan told him very bluntly that I "used to be crap: Years ago he used to train with X. But in the last few years he's gotten pretty good, and now he understands true Budo. I like him." I hadn't been training with the individual the shihan mentioned for 12 years or so, and I was astonished that he even knew this about me -- much less that I was "being watched" over the years since.

I suspect that if you ever went back to Japan yourself, you'd be equally surprised at what people there recall about you.

That's unlikely to happen though, since as far as I know you're not even a legitimate Bujinkan instructor anymore. And that being the case -- especially as you've been "out of the loop" (if you were ever really in it) for years, any opinions you express about the Bujinkan, its instructors, its training methods, etc. are simply not relevant (whether they're favorable or unfavorable).

I concede that I could be wrong about your current status, as I didn't think to ask when I was in Japan in April. If you'd care to scan and post a pic of your 2004 Bujinkan Shidoshikai membership card here within the next week I'll happily retract that comment. But if you don't have it, you certainly are not a legitimate instructor of the Bujinkan martial arts or student of Hatsumi sensei, any more than a military officer who deserts is still a military officer even if he did once receive a commission.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dale Seago said:
I concede that I could be wrong about your current status, as I didn't think to ask when I was in Japan in April. If you'd care to scan and post a pic of your 2004 Bujinkan Shidoshikai membership card here within the next week I'll happily retract that comment. But if you don't have it, you certainly are not a legitimate instructor of the Bujinkan martial arts or student of Hatsumi sensei, any more than a military officer who deserts is still a military officer even if he did once receive a commission.

Actually, I think I'll withdraw that retraction offer: Too easy to photoshop something like that.

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You know, the kinds of things you can't really begin learning Budo Taijutsu without. Would it be asking too much for you to be consistent?

Dale shihan, I would disagree becuase of my experience in biometrics coming from direct knowledge of fighitng and the training for fighting...
Sanshin no gata is only what it is.. this can be of course worked from MANY different methods of training without the outdated biometrics used in doing sanshin no gata.
Same holds true for kihon happo koshijutsu.
The first 3 forms of training can be worked as well from MANY different training methods without using the outdated ideas of Japanese karate or kenpo as a basis.
Now with that I turn the deal up-side down and say I do not train budo.
I do not train for spiritual arts sake.
For example.. I do not train battojutsu for the sake of art.. I only do it to cut down what it is that confronts me. If that is lost then as well thei can be seen in firearms training too. I do not shoot for art. I shoot for putting down evil that confronts me and wished to take life from me.

ralph severe, kamiyama

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
People who want to be able to do the kinds of things he does need to train the way he wants them to train. People throughout the Bujinkan have varying degrees of understanding of just what that means; as a general rule, however, the ones who spend the most time with him (especially those who've been doing so in the last, say, 5 or 6 years into the present) are the most likely to have a clue.

Dale shihan, Hatsumi sensei, in my opinion, moves "his" way because of his training. Not only in martial skills but other parts of his life. His base of motion comes from different attribute development.
From what Hatsumi sensei has told me is like this, let go and do your thing.. don’t do what I do.. and break from form. So..
I don’t believe the Bujinkan has a monopoly on motion and understanding. I feel all-martial training and arts have the same degree of this view too.
But I also know from my research as well as my own personal training there are many within the system that are gifted and are free of being hand feed or nursed as they go alone their path. Dan Inosanto was one of those that are in the public eye. I’m sure you under stand that. And with that example you understand his training with the late Bruce Lee and where he took his own martial path. M. Musashi the great sword saint did the same. These are but two examples of 100’s I’m sure the both of us could surface within this conversation on liberation.
I have studied the arts in which Hatsumi sensei teaches and stay with my studies every month in regards to the Bujinkan system. It is simple and doesn’t take much to train, read, watch DVD’s, etc… travel is not so important when it comes to understanding. Not in my opinion.
You can take a ryuha gata and train it till you drop. Twist it and change it… call it this and that.. make points out of points.. and still you have what you started with. A form. As in a mother placing a spoon of food within your mouth. It comes a time where you have to do it yourself. I’m sure you get my point.
I believe just because you spend time with someone doesn’t really mean you will understand them or have their skills I some magic way of transmission.
Even though I love Hatsumi sensei and his system this does not mean we are one... and must.. have to.. or need to be with each other to get to the same place...
I, on the other hand, am 43.. he is 73... I spar a great deal.. I have fighting experience.. I stiil run around like a mad man.. etc...
We are not the same.. but that doesn't mean I or anyone else is missing any points if the points are the same each year.. over and over and over again...

ralph severe, kamiyama

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dale shihan, I feel maybe you have a point here…
I for one see Hatsumi sensei as a wonder-man.. a true gift of health and energy… for his age or for any age for that matter he is unreal with motion and energy…
But what he stands in might be another factor…
Mental, physical and spiritual fitness is a base for all of his teaching… I personally do not see it as a understood part of his methodology…
I don’t trouble myself with the idea of shihan.. first they are human beings.. and the base for examples are in fact mental, physical and spiritual fitness.

ralph severe, kamiyama

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I suspect that if you ever went back to Japan yourself, you'd be equally surprised at what people there recall about you.
That's unlikely to happen though, since as far as I know you're not even a legitimate Bujinkan instructor anymore. And that being the case -- especially as you've been "out of the loop" (if you were ever really in it) for years, any opinions you express about the Bujinkan, its instructors, its training methods, etc. are simply not relevant (whether they're favorable or unfavorable).

Dale shihan, I bet it would be a funny thing what other say about one or the other and this and that.. that is human nature..
I have no ill feelings or joy one way or another about what anyone says… about me… why should I ?
The truth is within your knowledge, execution of this knowledge, and what are the effects of this execution.
I could really pass on the feelings of others to have a good day…LOL..
Like I have stated.. they are not with you daily.. monthly.. and what really do they know about you.. your family, bills, pains, etc.. they only hear rumors of peoples opinions.
Like I watched you on the 2003 daikomyosai DVD. It was nice to see you. I would enjoy being there with you as well as everyone else.. but Japan is not my place.. Texas is..
I didn’t see much in regards to combative training as Hatsumi sensei said to do… or as he put it.. real fighting…
I saw demos… on demos.. stop and go.. not fighting feeling.. or maybe I did in fact miss something… maybe so..
Hatsumi sensei movement was unreal… beautiful and a honor to view…
But combat training ?
Ok.. Yes, I do not pass ranking in the Bujinkan Dojo.. not because I am not a part of it but because I do not train budo.. Ok..
I have stated to J L. that I will in fact not be renewing my shidoshikai card...
It doesn't do anything for me personally...
I don't see the need.. do you have a need to have yours? Does anyone?
What does the shidoshikai do?
What in the world does it stand for?
I have never seen anything come of this deal.. not in 16 years..
Crazy...

I feel in regards to training maybe more effort into why I or you feel a way or about this or that would be more constructive to each other...
I respect you as a human being and from my experience with seeing you and watching your skills you do infact understand a great deal about martial skills..
I have invited you when you were in Dallas to drop by.. to see for yourself.. and not by some others opinion what I do.. train and teach what I do in fact teach...
You didn't.
So what in fact do you know about me in regards to me personally or my training or my teaching or my students skills or knowledge ?
Does it matter if they do san shina no gata or not?
I feel it is important they are good humans and treat everyone with respect and survive their daily life...
I in fact do carry them in high regards...
Many can beat the crap out of most of the Bujinkan students I have seen.. and display skills of the ryuha way beyond what I have seen in the Bujinkan students...
What does this mean Dale shihan?
Nothing really..
You might say I am different and do not wish or importantly NEED to follow...
I feel I have the understanding to lead or just be myself...
In all due respect to all of the Bujinkan members Dale shihan.. it only matters if you are happy and safe... and at times if you can seek, smack, slam and submit evil...
I'm not sure what the fantasy about Japan with you guys...
I don't see it..
I don't feel it..
I don't get up in the afternoon and wish to go.. before I get to the rest room..LOL..
It just is not a big deal..

Why not come to Dallas and drop by.. see for your self.. give your point of view as a friend and fellow teacher of warrior arts..
This would be a wonderful treat for me as well as to the guys here... my honor.
And with all due respect if you feel I suck or what I do sucks.. then by all means tell Hatsumi sensei and the world.
But this will take first hand knowledge.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
r.severe said:
And with all due respect if you feel I suck or what I do sucks.. then by all means tell Hatsumi sensei and the world.

That's not the issue; and for the record I haven't suggested and am not suggesting that you suck or what you do sucks: Just that it's not Bujinkan, which puts you in the same category vis-a-vis "The Booj" as, say, Robert Bussey, Brian McCarthy, et al.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Holds his tounge... Not going to say it... not...

Mind if I have a seat next you you while we bite our tounges?

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's not the issue; and for the record I haven't suggested and am not suggesting that you suck or what you do sucks: Just that it's not Bujinkan, which puts you in the same category vis-a-vis "The Booj" as, say, Robert Bussey, Brian McCarthy, et al.

Dale shihan, that's funny.
I always felt my shidoshi license and menkyo from the soke was real.
And the teaching of the 6 ryuha, Shinden Fudo ryu, Togakure ryu, Takagi Yoshin ryu, Koto ryu, Gyokko ryu and Kukishinden ryu.
Yes I know I do in fact train in as well as use different methods of Japanese arts other than those 6.. but that's no crime.
I don't recall saying I didn't teach the 6 ryuha from the teachings of Hatsumi sensei.. did I ?
So how is it you feel I do not ?
I teach the tenchijin.. which I have from 1986... when I was given permission to teach the Bujinkan arts.
So.. funny you would say or imply that I in fact do not...
And if this is not what you said.. then what was it ?
If you have a simple example what you mean by... ""Just that it's not Bujinkan""....
Then explain how it is I do in fact teach the same ryuha and same tenchijin that Hatsumi sensei has in his Bujinkan but it is not Bujinkan ?
Just because I do not rank people in Bujinkan Dojo Budo Taijutsu doesn't mean I do not teach the arts of the Bujinkan unless you have some magic ball that can explain other-wise.. ????
I believe with all due respect you're a little lost.. or maybe just in a vortex...
In fact you can be a student of the Bujinkan Dojo, ranked in the Bujinkan Dojo and NOT be a member or a shidoshikai member... It has been this way from what I remember... oh 1986....
Once you are in fact ranked doesn't mean you are not that rank if you die, walk away from the circus, train in other arts.. or just don't care to be part of the vortex of BS...
Now if you know differently and can show this.. by all means be my guest Dale shihan and fire away...
With that.. it really doesn't matter now does it...?
I have the knowledge of the ryuha in which I have in fact trained in for many years and the ranking under the name of Hatsumi sensei.. and the Bujinkan dojo ninpo Taijutsu and the Bujinkan Dojo Budo Taijutsu..
Now again..
What you stated is funny...
To put me into the same category of anyone else is foolish and out right rude.. as well as a joke in regards to what we are having a chat about.
You should be ashamed of yourself..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Talking about Hatsumi....

Dale Seago said:

Just an interjection. I have a bone to pick with you Dale, since you are at least making sense in a consistant fashion.

I know you do not mean to imply it, but there are a lot of people in the Bujinkan that look on statements like the above and come to the conclusion that Hatsumi is the sole source of what to do in the Bujinkan. They reject the ways he used to train and now try to copy his movements as much as possible.

If they are at your level, great. But the newbies do not have the background that Hatsumi has. It is like jumping straight into advanced physics and ignoring any type of basic math instruction. I have never heard anything about Hatsumi liffting weights, as some advocate. But you know he does not move anymore in the low stances that we were talking about Luke teaching. After nearly 50 years, I doubt he has to do anything like that. I do not happen to have 50 years in the art yet. So I do it.

What you are saying (correct me if I am wrong) is that as Hatsumi's experience lengthens he understands the art more and is better able to give insight that others need. An example of this is how Takamatsu told Hatsumi not to do the strenuous toughning exercises he did to develop his fingers because by the time he reached the point where Hatsumi was his only student he was having circulation problems in them. I can take that lesson and avoid the arts that hit their limbs with iron bars. I notice that none of the practicioners of such arts seem to have hit a good age yet since they started the practice.

The problem is that a lot of people I see coming to Japan are not bothering to do anything but go see Hatsumi. You stopped by at least one Japaese shihan's dojo while you were here (and didn't bring me a present :jedi1: ) but many just do not. So they do not learn anything other than what Hatsumi is teaching, and he is no longer teaching the things like "See Dick run. See Jane run..." because there are things only he can teach while there are guys like Noguchi, Oguri, Someya, etc that can teach the basic style and have the class size to give more personal advice. Heck, I was just reading a rant about how if you only go to Tai Kais and the like for your instruction you might as well be taking a video instruction course for all the corrections of your mistakes you will get.

I can tell you of some guys that only train with Hatsumi that just move terribly. Try to get them to show up to an Oguri class and the like and they just kind of sniff. They draw their power from their closeness to Hatumi, without bothering to train with any "lesser" person. I know you are not advocating this, but the above quote can be used by such people to justify what they do just as the Tao of Jeet Kun Do has been used as a justification for anyone who can't spend more than 9 months in and art before they get bored and "improve" on the classical arts.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Talking about Hatsumi....

Just an interjection. I have a bone to pick with you Dale, since you are at least making sense in a consistant fashion.

:asian: I've been remiss, then -- thank you for pointing it out.

I know you do not mean to imply it, but there are a lot of people in the Bujinkan that look on statements like the above and come to the conclusion that Hatsumi is the sole source of what to do in the Bujinkan. They reject the ways he used to train and now try to copy his movements as much as possible.

No, I certainly didn't mean to imply that. If you just start out trying to mimic him you'll never grasp either the fundamentals that support the movement he's using or the more advanced concepts he's expressing.

I remember the San Francisco Tai Kai in the summer of '86. . .Everyone was stumbling around, totally lost, and eventually Soke went into an en-masse excoriation about how disappointed he was in American instructors who had not been properly preparing us by teaching us correct fundamentals such as the sanshin no kata and kihon happo.

And we're all looking at each other in puzzlement, going "Huh? What are those? Kihon wha'fo'?"

We weren't "getting it" because we didn't have the basic tools which would allow us to begin understanding.

At the same time, those fundamentals -- and in this context I would also include all the waza of the various ryuha as, in a sense, kihon -- are not enough by themselves. As Soke put it in his newest book (page 36):

In the martial arts, the basics are of supreme importance. In general, students start by learning forms or techniques. Beginners have to train initially with "visible" movements: this is inescapable, as otherwise they simply will not understand any further complexities. Visible movements are studied first in Ninpo Taijutsu too -- but soon you have to progress to a world which is invisible to the naked eye. It is important that this training be natural.

Given the level on which Soke himself is teaching, the only way this progression can be "natural" is if seniors who are further along the path guide you, correct your errors, and act as a "bridge" between these two worlds. This is part of the reason why sempai/kohai relationships are important, and is a crucial part of the makeup of a ryu: Whether koryu or gendai, a ryu is not just a collection of techniques and a particular style of doing things. As you know, it's better translated as "tradition" than as a "style"; and the kanji used implies a stream, something that "flows" through time and through the community of people who comprise the ryu.

So, while it's crucial to train with Soke, it is equally critical to train with the shihan so that you can keep growing and not wander off the path. I've lost count of the times that Soke has pointed to the shihan and said people should train with them. I do it every chance I get; so do my students, and so do all the instructors around my neck of the woods that I know personally.

Heck, I was just reading a rant about how if you only go to Tai Kais and the like for your instruction you might as well be taking a video instruction course for all the corrections of your mistakes you will get.

I haven't seen that one, but you're absolutely right.

BTW, I'm acutely conscious of this "bridging" role in the way I teach my own classes. Like all the Japanese teachers and most American instructors, I have a "real-world day job", and my training and teaching has to come after that. So my own teaching is really geared toward the more advanced students in the class. To help compensate for that, an 8th dan in my dojo, Patrick McKee, teaches a class just before mine on Tuesdays where the focus is more fundamental, and I also have a half-day "mini-seminar" on a weekend once a month where we usually work on whatever issues those who show up bring with them. Even in my own classes, though, I always try to do three things in each and every class session:

1) Present something which new students "just in off the street" can do effectively;

2) Present something which will have the judan who trains with me every week asking questions;

3) "Connect" both through the course of the session so that, at least by the end of the class, people can see the relationship between the two.

This is all connected in some ways with Ralph's posts on this thread, so I'm going to touch on that here as well. He's made it clear in this thread and on other boards that he holds the Bujinkan community -- Hatsumi sensei's ryu -- in contempt and has no interest in supporting it in any way: Just wants to grab whatever he can for himself, and to hell with everyone else. He feels the training methods are outdated, which is a sure sign that he doesn't understand them. He feels the martial ability of the Japanese shihan is "weak". He's badmouthed Hatsumi sensei himself elsewhere, in addition to various instructors by name. He clearly has no interest in continuing to learn and grow in the Bujinkan arts, preferring to portray himself as the Master to whom everyone else in the Bujinkan needs to measure up: If he really wanted to "keep going", there's a shihan (Luke Molitor) about half an hour away, who continues to spend a lot of time training with both Soke and several of the Japanese shihan on a regular basis, whom Ralph could go to if he can't afford to get to Japan.

He has separated himself from the Bujinkan, not only by his words and actions over the years but by not even remaining a member of the organization in a formal sense by keeping his membership up to date. He's bragged about never paying for rank, and years ago about having not paid for the shihan classes he attended in Japan (oh yes, they do remember).

As I said earlier, it's comparable to a military officer who deserts. He may still have a commissioning document in his possession. He may still have whatever level of tactical and strategic training and knowledge he had absorbed, perhaps using it to train a force of his own loyal only to him like Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now. He may even still be maintained in the military database so he can be court-martialed if he surfaces again. But he is in no way considered a legitimate military officer.

By the same token, Ralph Severe is not a Bujinkan instructor.

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is all connected in some ways with Ralph's posts on this thread, so I'm going to touch on that here as well. He's made it clear in this thread and on other boards that he holds the Bujinkan community -- Hatsumi sensei's ryu -- in contempt and has no interest in supporting it in any way: Just wants to grab whatever he can for himself, and to hell with everyone else.

****KY, Dale shihan, you’re funny. How did I say I hold the Bujinkan in contempt? Why not twist it and just say what I said to have you feel this way. Explain..
And while your at it why not state where I say I have no interest in the ryu of the Bujinkan or in Hatsumi sensei ryu….? Why not just post it here?
Yes, you are in fact right on.. I do not support the community of the Bujinkan financially or baby sit them or post BS about things that in fact do not belong in combative training and I do post how I feel about outdated training methods.. and I do in fact post what I feel about the BS ranking.. and not forget the ‘movie stuff’ that is for kids..
Yes, what have you done for me Dale shihan as a shihan in the Bujinkan Community?
How have you helped me?
How do you help others in the community other than helping yourself to money at seminars?
Do you feel the Bujinkan or Hatsumi sensei is to be supported financially in some way?
And why?
What does the Bujinkan community or shidoshikai do for the members other than take monies for membership and rank? I’m sure everyone would like to know.****************************

He feels the training methods are outdated, which is a sure sign that he doesn't understand them.

****ky, yes, Dale shihan.. they are mainly outdated.. and have been proven on the mat.. they are outdated… and till otherwise proven differently then it is not my ‘feelings’ that say they are outdated of data that or knowledge that they are outdated..
And what information or knowledge do you have about me in regards to my skills or understanding to the ryu or the methods of the Bujinkan or any martial tradition that I train in or teach? None.
You have no data to back up your statement about me now do you.
In fact you most likely have no data about why I know that methods of training are outdated now do you Dale shhan.. ?***************

He feels the martial ability of the Japanese shihan is "weak".

*****ky, in fact from my experience and being in Japan for such a very short time, 30 days, I felt they were surprising weak and not martial tough. And their fitness levels were very poor. But this is my opinion. I wouldn’t feel it matters to anyone else. But maybe I hit some nerve in someone’s heart. Maybe so.
Maybe when I was in Japan Hatsumi sensei spoke about this in classes that I was at and maybe I’m just repeating how I felt about what he stated. Maybe if the people who I offended with my personal views should be aware of their fitness and ability to hide their weakness as a shinobi. I don’t only feel the Japanese shihan are weak Dale shihan I feel the same way more or less about most of the Bujinkan Shihan. If you get my point.*******

He's badmouthed Hatsumi sensei himself elsewhere, in addition to various instructors by name.

****ky, Dale shihan, how so?******

He clearly has no interest in continuing to learn and grow in the Bujinkan arts, preferring to portray himself as the Master to whom everyone else in the Bujinkan needs to measure up: If he really wanted to "keep going", there's a shihan (Luke Molitor) about half an hour away, who continues to spend a lot of time training with both Soke and several of the Japanese shihan on a regular basis, whom Ralph could go to if he can't afford to get to Japan.

****ky, I do not feel being rude is very becoming Dale shihan. Is it? Then why be rude?
Are these the manners of a Bujinkan Shihan on a forum?
Now.. I have made no statement in regards to what you stated, “He clearly has no interest in continuing to learn and grow in the Bujinkan arts” This is a lie.
I in fact have not asked for anyone to ‘come’ to me for anything. If so then why not state it?
I have my door open for any member of any Japanese art to come in any time to help with what I do not understand. They are open to you too. I have stated this.
I don’t feel Luke shihan wishes to exposed his students to what I do for many reasons. Wouldn’t you agree? Look at what I do.. it’s so twisted and none ‘right’ in your opinion.. after all you know what my classes are all about.. you have visited here… have you Dale shihan? NO..
Why do you use Luke shihan as you pun….?
You know James shidoshi is here too.. he comes by a great deal..
Why not bring him up in your post?
Why not ask for his shidoshikai membership…LOL.. or Bujinkan membership..LOL..
HELLO..
I feel you’re just being hateful…********

He has separated himself from the Bujinkan, not only by his words and actions over the years but by not even remaining a member of the organization in a formal sense by keeping his membership up to date. He's bragged about never paying for rank, and years ago about having not paid for the shihan classes he attended in Japan (oh yes, they do remember).

****ky, Paying for rank. And? What’s you point?
Paying for classes? And what’s your point? And what classes were those? Were you there taking fees for those classes and no for a fact I did this or that? Are you telling a lie Dale shihan? Now now..
YES, I have broken away from the mickey mouse show.. or circus as it’s called.. The politics of the Bujinkan… and the rat race to ranking and kissing butt. YOU ARE CORRECT !
Who needs such negative BS in their life Dale shihan?
What drama… this could make a great TV show…******************

By the same token, Ralph Severe is not a Bujinkan instructor.

*****ky, Dale shihan, I’m just as much a Bujinkan shidoshi as you are…. LOL..
What else?
It is totally funny how Bujinkan people or students take their training so lightly.. and just ride things out without research into more updated methods of fitness and combative nature that in fact Hatsumi sensei tells them to so…
He writes about it, talks about it.. and shows this by demos…
By far Hatsumi sensei is one of the greatest living examples of beautiful motion in the human form….
This in fact does not mean he is right or always perfect… about things within his knowledge base or outside his knowledge base… To disagree on this point would be foolish…Dale shihan…
With this then you have to ask yourself.. Dale shihan.. what hands on fighting experience do you have to pass on to others teaching a combative system of living skills and battlefield or street conflicts..?
Then you have to ask yourself what the teachers have in regards to combative experience to pass on to you in regards to living skills on a battlefield or street conflict…?
This goes hand in hand with teaching any weapon or unarmed skill…
What is it that the teach knows to be ‘truth’ from his experience….
Truth.. a wonderful word..
I for one can see through BS..
I have fighting experience….
I got it from beating the crap out of people for many many years as a stupid youth.. and with weapons as well as my own body…
I pas on that knowledge from experience…
And what I do not have I training.. over and over to do the best I can if the need comes alone again…
But first you need some type of direction to understand ‘truth’….
I feel in many ways dance is a symbol for combative knowledge… or demoing martial skills have become some type of display of combative experience… LOL..
How far from the ‘truth’ can you get…
Training with your buddy or friends or students does not give you that ‘truth’ Dale shihan… and you know this to be the truth. You are not stupid in my opinion.
But in ways you state things that are in fact somewhat a little off.. twisted… and selfish.. and not really looking at the big picture of what you are referring to.. and you get your facts way off balance and try to come across as a person that has knowledge of others nature and others life…. when you do not have this knowledge.
I have faith in you and feel you will come around and understand what it is I am saying. You always have been a very good human being…. to those you love i'm sure of it...
You are still welcome to visit even if you feel hateful towards what is fact.
Come in and show us the tenchijin and what ever to see if it is in fact not what I do... and teach.. I'm sure you will be surprised... and then maybe love me too.

You do not need Japan Dale shihan to understand.... or the Japanese shihan their to hold your hand... unless.. it's your way... ok by me.
You cannot take back what has been given... no matter how hateful you wish to come acroos to everyone you touch in your life... you can only go forward.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed....maybe it's just me....that you don't actually have to read Ralph's posts. You already know what he's going to say. You can just skim really quick, find the all-familiar verbage and move on to the next. It's kind of neat. Takes much less time to sort through.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jay Bell said:
Has anyone noticed....maybe it's just me....that you don't actually have to read Ralph's posts. You already know what he's going to say. You can just skim really quick, find the all-familiar verbage and move on to the next. It's kind of neat. Takes much less time to sort through.

I am not saying a word. I am just going to sit here thinking happy thoughts, happy thoughts, happy thoughts.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna jump off........I guess its a subject?..for a second. I hope its okee?

What "rank" do you have to be to teach Bujinkan arts? I keep hearing Godan (5th degree) but all the instructors in my state are shodan, nidan, or sandan.....what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.