Teaching: Private, or Group?

R

RCastillo

Because of the many techniques in Tracy Kenpo, and based on the way I was pretty much taught, I find it 's hard teaching in group with different levels.

As hard as I try to cover all the bases, I get alittle frustrated, because I think the quality may be off some.

If I had a choice, I'd prefer private/semi private. Groups are great, as long as they're all the same rank.

Though I've brought up several up to High Brown level, they're not around, so I'm on my own.

What about your preferences?

Thanks for listening!:asian:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

Because of the many techniques in Tracy Kenpo, and based on the way I was pretty much taught, I find it 's hard teaching in group with different levels.

As hard as I try to cover all the bases, I get alittle frustrated, because I think the quality may be off some.

If I had a choice, I'd prefer private/semi private. Groups are great, as long as they're all the same rank.

Though I've brought up several up to High Brown level, they're not around, so I'm on my own.

It is frustrating to be only one person at times and feeling like you're just flitting from one cluster to another.. rather like a bumblebee from flower to flower eh..
It's a matter of changing mindset when you are dealing with beginner belts then moving to check in on advanced belts. Take a moment between each level.. regroup.. make some notes on each group.. in your head or on paper.. so you know where they are with the tec. Ok.. or struggling etc.
If you have a large group.. and are following a syllabus.. check the notes and go to the next belt .. Clear your mind before each..
Before class .. take a few minutes and review the nights agenda.. Perform each tec yourself so when you come to each belt group.. you have them fresh in your mind.

Private teaching is great if you have the time and the students.. but I find most people prefer to work with their peers.. they can mess up all they want and not feel they have to be perfect for the instructor.

In larger groups.. it is difficult to keep all in order in your head..
maybe try a Tec Line.. and have one row defend.. the other attack.. and just move down the line to each duo .. check their progress.. and keep moving on down.. if you have advanced belts that know the tecs.. have them 'float' and help out..

Just my thoughts :)

Tess

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess

Private teaching is great if you have the time and the students.. but I find most people prefer to work with their peers.. they can mess up all they want and not feel they have to be perfect for the instructor.

In larger groups.. it is difficult to keep all in order in your head..
maybe try a Tec Line.. and have one row defend.. the other attack.. and just move down the line to each duo .. check their progress.. and keep moving on down.. if you have advanced belts that know the tecs.. have them 'float' and help out..

Just my thoughts :)

Tess

Hey Tess,

I've had the chance to take private lessons for the last 5 yrs and am currently taking privates with my current instructors. I would disagree with the idea that people would rather not "mess up" in front of their instructor. Privates allow you to develop a one on one relationship with your instructor with your Kenpo. He/She:) has an opportunity to see what your doing without destraction and you can actually enhance your training with this personal attention.

For a Brown belt doing privates it's like a kid in a candy store. All conversations are advanced theory on all the basic concepts. And the instructors love it cuz they can really bang with someone.

I do agree that it can be more difficult to teach people at various levels at once, but the chance to "carve" on one another is invaluable. The different sizes, weights, sexes, etc...lets us see how we will react to the different stimuli and builds a sense of family among us.

it is difficult to keep all in order in your head

A couple of instructors I've trained with have used a training log (booklet) to follow a students progress. He reviews them right before class because the people bring them to him or drop them at a certain spot in the class before then he knows where they are at in the system. Sometimes he would just tuck them in his gi while he taught a technique.

jb:asian:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

One thing we did when I was in the formal school setting was we started at the bottom and worked our way up. Once the orange belts got their material they went over to work it and then he move to the next up. For a small group like you have....I'd just get them together. Teach the newer cats their stuff (while the older review it) and the older cats their stuff and let them work their respective techs on each other (and you). And remember flow before tech. So teach concepts that are universal to all ranks then teach the respective tech that corresponds to their level.

jb

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo

Hey Tess,

I've had the chance to take private lessons for the last 5 yrs and am currently taking privates with my current instructors. I would disagree with the idea that people would rather not "mess up" in front of their instructor. Privates allow you to develop a one on one relationship with your instructor with your Kenpo. He/She has an opportunity to see what your doing without destraction and you can actually enhance your training with this personal attention.

jb:asian:

Glad it works for you *s* I said "but I find most people prefer to work with their peers.. they can mess up all they want and not feel they have to be perfect for the instructor.
Not all people.. I know in our school there are a few that would take the opportunity and go private only.. But I, myself and 95% of the others prefer the interaction of our peers.
Since I am married to my instructor that's not really an issue :)
I've seen many students preform flawlessly with each other then when it comes time for testing or when Sensei walks by and watches.. they mess up ,, I do it myself.. Each student has a great relationship with our instructor .. it's just a 'thing' we have to get over I guess..*s*

Tess

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Our situation is a little odd, because we are topheavy in rank right now. As far as I know we don't have a white belt enrolled, and our lowest members are orange, uh dingy orange.

But we usually run our class so that the first half hour is warmup, the second hour is a group class, and the last half a hour is individual attention. You usually don't get the whole half hour, but 15 minutes is pretty typical. We also run a saturday "open class" where there is a always a couple of black belts to answer questions, it is sort of like a free private as these are sparsely attended except by the go-getters.

Our group classes focus on things everybody can do. On Thursday I ran a class that broke down escapes from the various jointlocks contained in the yellow and orange belt curriculums. Most people get personalized instruction during the "individual attention" portion, so we don't introduce new techniques in the main group class. We also break groups out by belt level to work on techniques, so we might have the greens and browns together, the blues and purples, and orange and yellows, with the blacks circulating to help out. It obviously helps to have multiple black belts to do this, but you could split out any of your higher belts to help with the lower.

Lamont

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the energy in a good group class. You can almost get a synergistic feel when you pass that critical level. It just does not happen often enough.

Group classes are structured as mentioned above. Some warm up exercises, stretching, then heavy on the basics, whether shadow boxing, in a training horse stance or on the bags, then start from bottom up with material. Occassionally I run a "theme" class where we are doing the same thing, then graft into different techniques using what we were all working on.

I also use the "open mat" night, on Tuesdays, where myself and other students remain available for about an hour after class. This has helped lots of people and lets me give everyone I missed during group class, a littly individual attention ... without feeling like I am detracting from others.

Privates are great for me in terms of learning material, but when it comes to application, a semi-private or group allows me to watch, with the repititions neccessary for correction of my students.

Oos,
-Michael
UKS-Texas

OP
C

Chiduce

I teach both myself and find that they are basically the same in teaching with a large enough training area. The advanced student can be assigned his/her training tasks and ask questions; while the lower ranking student can drill, punch, kick, duck walk, train forms/kata etc,!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Having been on both sides of the equation. I really prefer the group/private mix as offered in the Tracy Studios. You just can't get past the fact that the one on one attention is better. Although being taught in a group setting can have its benefits. Like always someone to uke with, while the instructor observes, and critiques. As well as the real world feel of performing our forms, and sparring with our fellow students. I know that teaching in a group setting is easier on a studio manager. Not as much manpower needed etc..
Salute in Christ,
:D

Latest Discussions