Taekwondo Master too harsh for my almost 5 year old?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
my 2 cents worth and I might have to ask fr change:

I find that in a non corporal climate the actual contact is over exaggerated. Meaning that the actual energy transmitted in the contact stands in no correlation to the words used to describe it. Of course, only you can tell how hard the contact really is.

Not commenting on whether or not the OP has to stay or leave, since that is ultimately up to her, I do wonder how the correlation between participating in a martial arts and being touched with a stick becomes objectionable. If you object to being tapped with a stick, how can you handle being kicked in the stomach or punched in the face?

Also, is it correction or punishment. I am a bit unclear here, I think the line was erased in the thread by various posters.
Tap a leg here, an elbow there....certainly beats being accused of inappropriate hand contact!

Alas, the child objects, and that is where the problem is.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to merge the two threads by the OP as they are on the same subject, it would save having to answer both of them.

A stick/cane is a good way to move children's limbs, feet etc but my thoughts are still that four years old is too young to be in a class that is for older children and adults, a four year old should be in a class designed for that age if you have to have them doing martial arts, I'd prefer not to, I like children to be older. However good the instructors are, however good the school I believe four is too young to try to learn formal martial arts.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm afraid it has more to do with defending a culture with some on the board, than the actual practice itself. Not surprising, but it is a pity.

Defending a culture or defendinig ignorance of a culture, which is also a pity. Understanding is key. I agree with everyone who has said, that if she is not comfortable then by all means do not go there. This does not make her a "wimpy parent", it makes her a parent that just wants her child to learn in an environment that he is comfortable in. This also doesn't mean that the teach is bad either. He has a specific style of teaching, it is a style that is based on how he was taught along with millions of other Koreans. Now if you don't like that style fine, but to say he is a bad teacher without actually meeting him or training under him is wrong. It's a pity you don't even have the understanding of the culture you seem to be so quickly to demise.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Defending a culture or defendinig ignorance of a culture, which is also a pity. Understanding is key. I agree with everyone who has said, that if she is not comfortable then by all means do not go there. This does not make her a "wimpy parent", it makes her a parent that just wants her child to learn in an environment that he is comfortable in. This also doesn't mean that the teach is bad either. He has a specific style of teaching, it is a style that is based on how he was taught along with millions of other Koreans. Now if you don't like that style fine, but to say he is a bad teacher without actually meeting him or training under him is wrong. It's a pity you don't even have the understanding of the culture you seem to be so quickly to demise.[/QUOTE]

He killed it?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Defending a culture or defendinig ignorance of a culture, which is also a pity. Understanding is key. I agree with everyone who has said, that if she is not comfortable then by all means do not go there. This does not make her a "wimpy parent", it makes her a parent that just wants her child to learn in an environment that he is comfortable in. This also doesn't mean that the teach is bad either. He has a specific style of teaching, it is a style that is based on how he was taught along with millions of other Koreans. Now if you don't like that style fine, but to say he is a bad teacher without actually meeting him or training under him is wrong. It's a pity you don't even have the understanding of the culture you seem to be so quickly to demise.

He killed it?
Haha! That made me snort!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I put this right up there with your buddy who needed a full year to recover from an injury his instructor caused but maintains it was a 'gift' he was given.

That was a gift, passed down through GM CHOI Yong Sul and TAKEDA Sokaku Sensei. Not many people were given such things, and when I first mentioned it, many of my juniors rushed out and begged to receive the same sort of training that I did. My juniors did that a lot when I spoke about techniques and training methods that they had never experienced or heard about. And as far as I know they are as happy as I am about it. I don't know how many korean students received that, but I believe that Yung Freda and I were the first Americans, and not many after that.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been on the receiving end of physical and emotional abuse as a child. It sucks and is something no child should ever go through on any level.

That was very revealing, and explains a lot....

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's uncalled for.

To be fair, KSD made a snide remark about puunui first.

I would like to see both members stay and hope everyone will abide by the rules regardless of their agreement or disagreement on this or any other topic.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, KSD made a snide remark about puunui first.

With respect, it was a factual remark to make a point in regards to the thread and not meant in any negative manner. And I did not mention him by name or quote his remark(s).

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Kong Soo Do

I've been on the receiving end of physical and emotional abuse as a child. It sucks and is something no child should ever go through on any level.

That was very revealing, and explains a lot....

Although you meant this as another attack, I agree with you in that it does explain a lot. It explains why I have a passion in protecting children from abusive adults. It explains why I raise my own son in a manner that differs from my own childhood i.e. he feels safe, secure and loved in his home. It explains why I determined long ago to better myself and my situation, first through serving my country and now as a public servant. It explains my drive and not letting events beyond my control in my childhood effect my future. It explains why two years ago I became the most and highest decorated member of my Bureau. So I'll take it as a compliment, thank you.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
With respect, it was a factual remark to make a point in regards to the thread and not meant in any negative manner. And I did not mention him by name or quote his remark(s).

Let's call a spade a spade. Given the context of the exchange you had with miguksaram here where you make the reference to puunui (http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sh...or-my-almost-5-year-old?p=1507737#post1507737), it's very reasonable to read an intentional negative shading to what you wrote.

I hope you can take this in the spirit in which it is offered and reflect on why I think you're the instigator here. I've have had my disagreements over the years here with a bunch of people, puunui included, and I am just calling it like I see it.

Let's knock off the personal stuff. That applies to everyone, me included.

rainesr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone! To clairify, yes, it is indeed his culture. Very nice man and good intentions, but I was told he was raised and learned Taekwondo with this stick. He calls it "chocolate" like his mom did and asks the kids "Do you want some chocolate"??. Again, the whacks do not hurt, but are totally meant to intimidate. I am embarassed to even write this as I am thinking "How did I ever justify this"? However, it seems to have ramped up. Today, they were running in a big circle to warm up. I was watching from my car (have a two year old) and could see my son grinning as he loves to run. Then, saw the master in the middle waving his stick and learning forward to "tap" a few. I was thinking how I would be scared in that environment. Again, he does not hurt, but it is a threat that would be scary to a little kid.

I am going off my insticts and pulling him. I just wanted to run this by some people who knew more about martial arts environments then me. In addition, I am pretty loyal and do like this master....just not the best fit for teaching my son. We just went to talk to another Takewondo place and feel it is a much better fit for us. I am very excited happy to change. My son's face lit up and he said he wanted to go there. So glad he does not want to quit, but just wants a change in environment. Thanks, again.

Our Korean Grand Master did this in Tang Soo Do and called it Korean Candy, I never heard of him using it on the children but adults were given a fair share of candy canes. All accounts suggest he was a very nice individual.

~Rob

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's call a spade a spade.

Okay, let's do that. Again, with respect intended. My comment, as I stated was in direct connection to Jeremy's comment which had become part of the flow of the conversation back on page two, which is close to a week old. I did not put a name to it, nor quote the individual. And that individual was not, at the time a participant of the thread. And very few people would have known to whom I was referring.

However, that individual chose to come into the thread, two pages after-the-fact, quote me directly and post an off-topic, snide remark.

I'll leave it at that.

As far as the thread itself, it appears the child is going to switch to a different school. I think that is a very wise decision and hope it works out much better for both the child and the parent(s).

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, let's do that. Again, with respect intended. My comment, as I stated was in direct connection to Jeremy's comment which had become part of the flow of the conversation back on page two, which is close to a week old. I did not put a name to it, nor quote the individual. And that individual was not, at the time a participant of the thread. And very few people would have known to whom I was referring.

However, that individual chose to come into the thread, two pages after-the-fact, quote me directly and post an off-topic, snide remark.

This is my last comment on this.

IMO, it doesn't matter that you didn't name him nor that you paraphrased his story rather than quoted it directly. You used his personal anecdote as a quip against miguksaram and in so doing you also poked puunui, even if he wasn't participating on the thread at the time.

YOU drew him out by referencing him in the first place. It shouldn't be surprising that he responded.

I get that you don't get along. So just leave him alone. Perhaps he will reciprocate. In any case, you were the one that started it here, so just drop it please.

I look forward to more pleasant discussions with everyone on another thread.

Latest Discussions