OP
F

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Since your teaching mainly kids you need to make the classes more fun. Frankly most kids don't want to be in martial arts, but they start because mummy and daddy make them go there to give them a break for an hour or so. They don't care about how good their stances are mostly. Yeah of course there'll be some who do but the majority couldn't care less. You need to play games with them. Make them martial art specific if you can if not just give them something that lets them run around and burn off energy.

Doing stance work up and down the hall? Tbh that's going to bore kids these days to death. Get them running around with their hands uo and having to dodge soft stuff thrown at them, get them doing tug of war with an old belt to work on stability in stances.

Maybe back in the 70s and 80s the up and down the class stuff was fine but these days kids don't want that. It's boring to them but also don't make it a boot camp. Don't be making them do 20 press ups because most kids can't even do 5. Don't be all sergeant major on them. Be relaxed have a laugh, make fun of yourself a bit have them hit you and pretend to fall over. That stuff that engages with kids,

Because honestly over half those kids will quit within a few years anyway. Yes you'll get some who stick at it. But when those kids get to teenage years there'll be more interested in partying meeting girls or boys dating etc or be stressed about exams that karate will be dropped quick. So don't worry about them becoming the next Bruce Lee. Just get them learning of course but let them have fun mainly. When they get to teenage years yeah then step up the intensity but for now focus on the fun
i usely try to play a game at the end of class to keep them entertained, but not so much in class except for my 4-7 year old class thats just games that are MA related. should i be doing ,ore in the older kids class or is something at the end good enough.

OP
F

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever written out a course curriculum for your school? This is very, very helpful you both you and your students.

Do you still have a connection to your previous instructor/system? If so, there should be resources there to pull from.
i am working on trying to create a curriculum and could really use some help from people if any on wants to help. I would honestly also really like to see someone elses curriculum if they are willing to let me see it, cause i honestly dont feel like i now what im doing and would like to benefit from other people that have more knowledge then me.

and i still have connections with my old dojang and i go through them to test to get promoted but last time classes where brought up and what to do he said just do all the things you did in class. that was awhile ago so i want to ask him again and drive down to talk about things, but hes 3 hours away so its hard to find the time to do that.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
i am working on trying to create a curriculum and could really use some help from people if any on wants to help..

PM Me with your e-mail and I will send my rank requirement sheets. You can use that as an idea for a curriculum breakdown. The day of sign up they get the first sheet and immediately after any promotion they get the new one. Several weeks before a test we remind after each class to go home, look at their sheet and ask at the next class about anything they don't understand or need help with. This shifts responsibility to them. If they miss some classes where stuff was covered they can't say at a test "I didn't learn that" because the response is "didn't you check your sheet?"

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
With this system, students might learn the material "in the wrong order" - but how much does "the order" really matter? .
In the Chang Hon System, it matters a lot, especially at the color belt levels. System is progressive. Quarter turns only - one direction, Quarter and Half, both directions, three quarter turns, Other progression - No Kicks, Front Kicks, Side Kicks, etc.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i try to rotate like that to keep them interested but some times i dont cause they end up struggling a lot with something so i focus on that. but i dont have enough students to break them up right now.
A very, very important thing for an instructor to learn is that most people cannot learn something the first time they are shown it. And continuing to focus on a specific in the moment often just turns someone's brain to goo. Don't expect perfection the 1st, 2nd, 3rd time they are shown a technique. Fix One small thing and then let the repetition continue.
For example: Let's say it is a 10 year old new student. Show them the particulars of a front stance. Almost certainly they are not going to get everything. Decide (in you own mind) what is most elemental and pick one or two things to correct. Then let them work.
Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. They have time to fix everything.
On a side note, if you are the only instructor this should be much easier.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Falcon, if you don’t take up Mister Weiss’s offer, you be crazy.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A lot of the postings here have dealt with the mechanics. Mixing things up each class is good: Some basics, grab releases, choosing teams for some competition (duck walk races, for example - sounds silly, but that was old school training for the hips, and the kids will love it - "quack quack".) bag work, 1 or 2 step sparring. Variety. Kids bore easily. Sometimes, teachers, too.

The other part of it is more important in the long run. Kids not only need discipline, they want it. They not only need to have expectations set, they want it. Then, when they meet realistic, but challenging, expectations, and are recognized for it, it gives them (this goes for adults, too) self-satisfaction and positive reinforcement. This motivates them for future accomplishments. And develops aa desire to please their authority figure - the instructor.

Everyone should have a little fun in class. But I believe the above paragraph is the key. I have seen all too often, kids with intermediate belts that can barely do a block without losing balance as their stance is so bad. Their front kicks, ax and side kicks all look the same. It is so dismaying to me - I can't even continue the list. It is due to the instructor simply not instructing, not setting expectations. If you don't expect much, you won't get much.

Set the bar higher, treat the kids right and they won't disappoint. And, you'll be teaching them more than kick-punch. That's what true martial arts is all about.

OP
F

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Falcon, if you don’t take up Mister Weiss’s offer, you be crazy.
i took it and it was greatly appreciated i will look over it has i refine mine

OP
F

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A lot of the postings here have dealt with the mechanics. Mixing things up each class is good: Some basics, grab releases, choosing teams for some competition (duck walk races, for example - sounds silly, but that was old school training for the hips, and the kids will love it - "quack quack".) bag work, 1 or 2 step sparring. Variety. Kids bore easily. Sometimes, teachers, too.

The other part of it is more important in the long run. Kids not only need discipline, they want it. They not only need to have expectations set, they want it. Then, when they meet realistic, but challenging, expectations, and are recognized for it, it gives them (this goes for adults, too) self-satisfaction and positive reinforcement. This motivates them for future accomplishments. And develops aa desire to please their authority figure - the instructor.

Everyone should have a little fun in class. But I believe the above paragraph is the key. I have seen all too often, kids with intermediate belts that can barely do a block without losing balance as their stance is so bad. Their front kicks, ax and side kicks all look the same. It is so dismaying to me - I can't even continue the list. It is due to the instructor simply not instructing, not setting expectations. If you don't expect much, you won't get much.

Set the bar higher, treat the kids right and they won't disappoint. And, you'll be teaching them more than kick-punch. That's what true martial arts is all about.
i try to make it challenging but i usely just get a bunch of whining and complaining saying its to hard or i hurt from this so i cant do and when i tell them there okay they just get in a bad mood. so how to a raise my bar without having those issues, cause i personally want to raise my expectations but i just not sure how when im already getting complaints.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i usely try to play a game at the end of class to keep them entertained, but not so much in class except for my 4-7 year old class thats just games that are MA related. should i be doing ,ore in the older kids class or is something at the end good enough.
your making a false distinction, ma is a game, it's all a game, the issue is are they perceiving it as such or are then considering as work they need to get through before they can have fun. kids and adults learn well, perhaps best during play that engages them.

as above, you have kids with different innate abilities who will because of factors out of your control be at vastly different stages of development, despite being close in age, doing games that increase there physical capabilities, whilst being fun, is far more important than a totally being good at ma, but they wont be good at ma unless or until they develop those skills, so every thing is ma related

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i try to make it challenging but i usely just get a bunch of whining and complaining saying its to hard or i hurt from this so i cant do and when i tell them there okay they just get in a bad mood. so how to a raise my bar without having those issues, cause i personally want to raise my expectations but i just not sure how when im already getting complaints.
Expectations and complaints are mutually inclusive. It goes with the territory. But in the scheme of setting expectations, anticipating that people are going to complain is only going to get in the way.
One suggestion is to make sure when you vocalize your expectations, they themselves are coming across as a whining complaint.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
2 more tips for kids.
1. I like to have them do stuff to burn off energy initially . It then seems they settle down a little for more detailed stuff.
2. They like to hit stuff as opposed to just kicking/ punching/ blocking air. Have some good shields / targets for this.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
2 more tips for kids.
1. I like to have them do stuff to burn off energy initially . It then seems they settle down a little for more detailed stuff.
2. They like to hit stuff as opposed to just kicking/ punching/ blocking air. Have some good shields / targets for this.
Agree. I think that is true for people of all ages.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Two quotes for you: "You don't have to like it - you just have to do it." (Navy SEALS mantra); "We don't do things because they are easy, we do things because they are hard." (John F. Kennedy re: expectation of moon landing). These values must be encouraged in age appropriate ways.

Are you setting the bar high enough for yourself? You are not a 3rd grade elementary school teacher (mine was Miss Seashore, my first crush, but I diverge.) You are a martial art teacher. Not to sound harsh, but stop "whining and complaining."

Take charge! Develop a culture of accomplishment among your kids. Set the example. Miss Seashore was cute and soft and sweet and comforting - she would have made a poor martial art instructor.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two quotes for you: "You don't have to like it - you just have to do it." (Navy SEALS mantra); "We don't do things because they are easy, we do things because they are hard." (John F. Kennedy re: expectation of moon landing). These values must be encouraged in age appropriate ways.

Are you setting the bar high enough for yourself? You are not a 3rd grade elementary school teacher (mine was Miss Seashore, my first crush, but I diverge.) You are a martial art teacher. Not to sound harsh, but stop "whining and complaining."

Take charge! Develop a culture of accomplishment among your kids. Set the example. Miss Seashore was cute and soft and sweet and comforting - she would have made a poor martial art instructor.
what a complete load of tosh, telling people things are difficult is no way to motivate anyone let alone kids, navy seals really. if its hard its because they are not fit enough, telling people getting fit is difficult is a sure way to stop the getting fit, getting fit is easy, do something you enjoy and you dont even notice

jfk never did anything physically ' hard' in his life. do you think he spent his later teenage years moving bricks on a building site

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
what a complete load of tosh, telling people things are difficult is no way to motivate anyone let alone kids, navy seals really. if its hard its because they are not fit enough, telling people getting fit is difficult is a sure way to stop the getting fit, getting fit is easy, do something you enjoy and you dont even notice

jfk never did anything physically ' hard' in his life. do you think he spent his later teenage years moving bricks on a building site

I just disagreed and disliked this post before I finally managed to hit "agree"...

Bloody ads moving about and making a shifting target.

OP
F

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i not whining and complaining i am asking for help on how to apply advice some one gave me cause i am having issues in my class with that.

Latest Discussions