Taegeuk/yudanja poomsae ki exercises

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a general question for those that have attended the Kukkiwon Instructors Course (or have been instructed by someone that knows the current methods).

In the WTF poomsae ki exercises (cross block in 6, fist in hand in 7 and fist to hand in koryo) what is the count for the movements. Some of my students who recently attended a seminar said it was supposed to be the number of seconds for the number of the pattern (so yuk-jang's one takes 6 seconds, chil-jang's takes 7 seconds).

I've viewed the Kukki-Taekwondo DVDs and the GM on there does nowhere near 7 seconds. The Kukkiwon textbook doesn't specify it (and it is normally very specific on everything else).

Any ideas?

Also, two other specific points:

In Pal-jang, what are you grabbing when you do the slow uppercut?

In Chil-jang, for the ki exercise is it fist wrapped in hand or fist and hand separated by a tiny amount (close but not touching)?

Thanks,

Andy

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Subscribing to thread & waiting for Master Southwick & Miles' responses.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry Andy, I don't recall any discussion of how long those movements should take at the Instructor Course. There must not have been anything in my notes?

Miles

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In general the rule is a 5 count on tension related motions. As you perform the action count, in your head of course, one, two, three, four and five, this is about 5 seconds. For the motions you have mentioned in 6, 7 and Koyro this rule applies.

I have never heard that the tension is held in seconds according to the number of the pattern. I do not think that is correct.

Keumgang is an exception; when performing Keumgang makki the Kukkiwon textbook indicates that this motion is for 10 seconds. Practitioners at the World Championships did this motion for about 7/8 seconds max.

In Taeguek Pal Jang you are not grabbing anything as you perform the uppercut; both hands remain in a fist. When I first learned this form we did not perform this action slow with tension, but full speed. When I asked my teacher the application, he said he thought that your low block arm had been grabbed at the wrist and you were pulling it free and delivering the uppercut.

In Taeguek Chil Jang the hands do touch while performing bojumeok.

ron

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Keumgang is an exception; when performing Keumgang makki the Kukkiwon textbook indicates that this motion is for 10 seconds. Practitioners at the World Championships did this motion for about 7/8 seconds max.

ron

At a Conference last May, GM Park, Hae Man (the co-creator of the form) was going over the 10 second count in Keumgang. He said, "This is held for 10 seconds. 12 is better." Then he smiled.

I s'pose for World Championships its 7/8 seconds, tho.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was told in San Diego that the 10 sec will be taken out of the next Kukkiwon textbook, who knows how long that will take. They did tell us not to go over 10 seconds.

I have also seen many practitioners in Chung Do Kwan performing Keumgang makki for 12 seconds and beyond. Could that be a CDK thing?

ron

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never heard that the tension is held in seconds according to the number of the pattern. I do not think that is correct.

Actually Master Southwick I have heard this by a few Grand Master like GM Park and GM Kurban from done here I believe GM Kurban learn it that way from GM Parks since he is his student.

Master Southwick why is that if the Text book says 10 seconds why where they proform with 7-8 seconds, I find this bizarre that we are not following the guidesline set forth by the Kukkiwon.

Thank you for your responses

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Master Stoker,

Who knows? Don’t worry; they will change it all again next year, lol. It is frustrating but I think if we all just do it the way we learned it the best way we can, the message will be conveyed.
Actually, one of the best things about my visit with you was the fact that you performed many of the poomsae the same way that I had originally learned them. Unfortunately I think that shows our age, ugh.

ron

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Stoker,

Who knows? Don’t worry; they will change it all again next year, lol. It is frustrating but I think if we all just do it the way we learned it the best way we can, the message will be conveyed.
Actually, one of the best things about my visit with you was the fact that you performed many of the poomsae the same way that I had originally learned them. Unfortunately I think that shows our age, ugh.

ron

Sir are you calling me old, well I fuess in TKD years I'm ancient. Thank you for the reply have a great dat and I'll see you ar rhe battle of detroit.

Latest Discussions