Taegeuk Pal-jang, one handed movements at the end?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've always been absolutely strict about every action using two hands. But from watching the Kukkiwon Taekwondo DVDs and reading the application in the Kukkiwon Textbook, it seems that a couple of the last movements of Taegeuk 8 are done with only one hand.

The moves I'm referring to are after the knifehand outer forearm block, elbow then backfist. Is the backfist done one handed.

The application seems to be after blocking grab the attacking hand and hold them close enough to hit them twice. This would necesitate a one handed backfist (as the other hand is in use).

Anyone have any official word from the Kukkiwon Foreign Instructors Course or WTF Poomsae Championships?

Also, while I'm on the topic - the second and fourth movements of sah-jang, same time or block as moving then strike as your foot lands?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've always been absolutely strict about every action using two hands. But from watching the Kukkiwon Taekwondo DVDs and reading the application in the Kukkiwon Textbook, it seems that a couple of the last movements of Taegeuk 8 are done with only one hand.

The moves I'm referring to are after the knifehand outer forearm block, elbow then backfist. Is the backfist done one handed.

The application seems to be after blocking grab the attacking hand and hold them close enough to hit them twice. This would necesitate a one handed backfist (as the other hand is in use).

Anyone have any official word from the Kukkiwon Foreign Instructors Course or WTF Poomsae Championships?

Also, while I'm on the topic - the second and fourth movements of sah-jang, same time or block as moving then strike as your foot lands?

Yes, in TG8, it is a one-handed application, exactly as you described (and as seen in the Kukkiwon's videos.)

For TG4, the pushing block is not a separate motion but rather done subtly while moving. This was one of the hardest things for me to change after the Instructor Course.

Andy, PM me with your email address and I'll send you my notes and recap/daily diary if you'd like. I posted it to the TKD Net in '04 but you may have been offline at that time.

Miles

Latest Discussions