Tae Kwondo Theory: Learning Korean terms & theory easier?

Jedmus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for learning (and remembering) Korean terms and theory for TKD?

Anyone use flash cards, pin them somewhere they will see them every day, go through patterns and state what each move is your doing in Korean?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My approach was to try to understand the most common basic terms first, so that I'd understand how they combine to make the names for techniques. Reference:

Taekwondo Vocabulary

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just being there will help no one is born knowing it how did you learn to talk by hearing your parents talk and learning from them, same thing here your instructor and class mates will use the terms and you will learn from hearing it all the time

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just being there will help no one is born knowing it how did you learn to talk by hearing your parents talk and learning from them, same thing here your instructor and class mates will use the terms and you will learn from hearing it all the time
Not necessarily, during the time I was training in judo, they used Japanese words for the throws and for formal things, and I never learned anything. I knew the names for each throw, but since I didn't know the English versions I had no clue what they actually meant. I know the meanings now, but not through osmosis.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just stop using the english names. A front kick is no longer a front kick, its ap chagi (i hope im not butchering that) :)

OP
J

Jedmus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not necessarily, during the time I was training in judo, they used Japanese words for the throws and for formal things, and I never learned anything. I knew the names for each throw, but since I didn't know the English versions I had no clue what they actually meant. I know the meanings now, but not through osmosis.

Couldn't agree more! I found that, for me, hearing them in class wouldn't help me remember them at all. The only way for me is as Red Sun posted was to try and remove the link between the English phrases and the moves themselves. I also used to run through line work and patterns stating what each move was as I was performing them

Just stop using the english names. A front kick is no longer a front kick, its ap chagi (i hope im not butchering that) :)

don't worry you didn't butcher it, that's the correct romanisation :)

tubby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Actually study what the terms mean. If you understand them, memorising is easy.

whilst the names sound exotic when you don't know them, they are really simple descriptions just in Korean. turning side kick is exactly that, something you would figure out if you knew the individual terms for turning kick and side kick. this makes it a lot easier once you get to some of the quite long names that otherwise are hard to remember as one thing rather than the individual components.

Latest Discussions