"New Poomsae Seminar"

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm seeing on Facebook allusions to a 5-day "New Poomsae Seminar" that is being hosted at the Taekwondowon this week, with support from the Kukkiwon and others.

Does anybody have any insights into what this is?

New Poomsae Seminar

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are new poomsae for competition in the works. They have been filming videos and are ready to start rolling them out. Very few details available at present, but I noticed Master Jeong has alluded to them a few times on his FB page.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder if this means a comeback for Hanryu and Bikkak.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw Master Jeong, In-Choul in July in Korea, he's been working on the ATU (Asian Taekwondo Union) new poomsae seminars recently, as well as the official DVDs for them for international distribution. It's definitely not the old Hanryu and Bikak as far as he said. More than that I'm not allowed to say at the moment.

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some of the new poomsae have started to appear on YouTube.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for bringing this up! This should be interesting.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting, indeed. I noticed a lot of jump kicks and spin kicks that are popular in Taekwondo but not reflected in the current poomsae. I assume by the level of difficulty that these are Black-Belt level forms. I hope that they are intended to supplement, and not replace, the current ones.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They are forms for competition. They do not replace the current forms required for testing. They are split by age, and these are the young people's forms, so a lot of athletic stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This website in China apparently has the list of all the new forms. (I found it by Googling on the names of the forms in the above YouTube videos.) Interestingly, there is one that is romanized as Bigak? I wonder if that's the old Bikkak?

【先睹为快】新品势Himchari、Saebyeol_读选网

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dang! Not bad. I like them but at the same time the Himchari poomsae looks like a bugger for my 44 year old self to learn! Those are "only" 360 jump/spin hooks, right? Not 540's?

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dang! Not bad. I like them but at the same time the Himchari poomsae looks like a bugger for my 44 year old self to learn! Those are "only" 360 jump/spin hooks, right? Not 540's?

At age 44, apparently you wouldn't be doing Himchari though. You'd be doing Eoulim (sp?) and Saeara (sp?). (I'm not sure I have the spellings right because that Chinese webpage has a fuzzy photo that's hard to read.)

That having been said...I'd still like to try to learn them all! Poomsae are like Pokemon... ;-)

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score
At age 44, apparently you wouldn't be doing Himchari though. You'd be doing Eoulim (sp?) and Saeara (sp?). (I'm not sure I have the spellings right because that Chinese webpage has a fuzzy photo that's hard to read.)

That having been said...I'd still like to try to learn them all! Poomsae are like Pokemon... ;-)

Right! Good point. I did not look at the age specifics. I will need to review the list and how many there are for what age groups. Looks like the "Little Grey Cells" might be getting a work out learning some new poomsae in the near future!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
At age 44, apparently you wouldn't be doing Himchari though.

I was thinking about this recently. Unfortunately, I think the sentence should be corrected to "At age 44, apparently you wouldn't be doing Himchari in competition, but obviously you'd need to know it to teach your young poomsae athletes".

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I see the ones for my age group, I'll consider working them into my training routine. There's no rush since I don't compete. I've already set a goal to learn Original Koryo next and start on the ITF forms after that.

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've already set a goal to learn Original Koryo next and start on the ITF forms after that.

I haven't yet built a 3D study diagram for Original Koryo, but it's on my to-do list. I have a 2D diagram...I often lay out the poomsae in 2D using PowerPoint first, before I start trying to make the 3D version.

Step 10, Opening Block. I see some YouTube videos where that's down as a middle-section Opening Block (like in Taegeuk Chil Jang), other videos where that's done as a Low Opening Block (like in Taegeuk Yook Jang, but fast rather than slow).

Original Koryo

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This website in China apparently has the list of all the new forms. (I found it by Googling on the names of the forms in the above YouTube videos.) Interestingly, there is one that is romanized as Bigak? I wonder if that's the old Bikkak?

【先睹为快】新品势Himchari、Saebyeol_读选网

Interesting! I feel like there is something lost in translation in the description of Hansol, though? "It stands for great Taekwondo trainers who are magnificent and fragrant like upright Korean red pines".

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting! I feel like there is something lost in translation in the description of Hansol, though? "It stands for great Taekwondo trainers who are magnificent and fragrant like upright Korean red pines".

I think that describes you to a tee!

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I haven't yet built a 3D study diagram for Original Koryo, but it's on my to-do list. I have a 2D diagram...I often lay out the poomsae in 2D using PowerPoint first, before I start trying to make the 3D version.

Step 10, Opening Block. I see some YouTube videos where that's down as a middle-section Opening Block (like in Taegeuk Chil Jang), other videos where that's done as a Low Opening Block (like in Taegeuk Yook Jang, but fast rather than slow).

Original Koryo

Oh Man! This forum is already paying off. I have somehow never seen this before. I REALLY like this Original Koryo. I need to learn this.