Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://books.google.com/books?id=d2...S9DQ&sig=97CHjZgKKY3CDMLIhqDeWEFalMo#PPA80,M1

This is a limited preview of a book regarding TKD MDK. You should be able to get a good look at the vast majority of the book. I had never really seen any references regarding this style. I recently ran across the History of TKD article which talks about Hwang Kee's issues with the Kwan consolidation. This is basically what led to the separation of the two branches of Moo Duk Kwan as I understand it.

Has anyone ever seen TKD MDK in person? How similar is it really to TSD? Does anyone know any more about this style?

In terms of the book, of particular interest to me wer the history and philosophy sections. The history is very interesting...and the philosophy section seems very close to what most TSD teaches.

Thoughts?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My old college roomate trained at a TSDMDK dojang in Alaska. I was invited to come and train with them when I came to visit. For the most part, its a lot like TSD as they retain the O/J kata. They've added a couple of sets, Kibon 1-5 and believe the Chang Hons, but other then that, I would say its nearly authentic TSD.

The practice of one-steps and self defenses are different then what we normally see in many of the TSD organizations, but the concept of one-steps and self defenses is identical.

The sparring is TKD rules. There is contact at all levels with full contact at the upper gup ranks. Tournaments are full contact continuous round sparring. No punches to the head.

The breaking is more flashy then TSD. Lots of difficult ariel spinning kicks. My friend, who tested for 2nd dan, had to break three boards in the air with three different kicks.

All in all, it was a pretty good school. Both my friend and his brother could hold their own in a fight and they proved it on numerous occasions.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwan is now Kukkiwon-style Taekwondo. With the Kwan Unification Act, the various kwans agreed to support the Kukkiwon and the standardization of curriculum and poomsae. The book referenced by MBuzzy was written by GM Richard Chun. In his book, GM Chun mentions his own instructor, GM Chong Soo Hong who was a high-ranking officer of the Kukkiwon until his death.

Miles

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwan is now Kukkiwon-style Taekwondo. With the Kwan Unification Act, the various kwans agreed to support the Kukkiwon and the standardization of curriculum and poomsae. The book referenced by MBuzzy was written by GM Richard Chun. In his book, GM Chun mentions his own instructor, GM Chong Soo Hong who was a high-ranking officer of the Kukkiwon until his death.

Miles

Then where do these dojangs come from that say they are practicing TKD MDK? They are still around...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was my first style of martial art.
My instructor insisted on 90 percent kicks with little hand work.
I left the organization to learn more and to develop my hands

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't realize that any kukkiwon related schools practiced the Kicho Hyungs. From looking at the book, it looks like TKD MDK isn't too standardized from the kukkiwon.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't realize that any kukkiwon related schools practiced the Kicho Hyungs. From looking at the book, it looks like TKD MDK isn't too standardized from the kukkiwon.

I guess we're somewhat loosely affiliated with the KKW; my instructor has a fifth dan with them, anyway. But we do the Kichos and the Palgwes; a lot of what's in Richard Chun's two books on MDK TKD is in our curriculum (though he only goes up to Palgwe 6; apparently 7-8 are considered to be advanced forms). One of the things that struck me when I first saw Chun's books is how similar the MDK TKD (his version, in any case) and Song Moo Kwan curricula (in our particular lineage, anyway) are.

I get the feeling that in spite of decades of the KKW's efforts to standardize the syllabus, there is still an almost chaotic diversity of curricula out there. There's the Official Story, on the one hand, and then there's what people are actually doing in their dojangs on the other, and they're not the same at all. I think, if we were able to look at actual school practice and day-to-day training across a few hundred dojangs, we'd be pretty struck by how much diversity there is out there. Which to me is a very good thing; but it also may mean that there is no simple answer to what MDK TKD 'is'. Looking at the different routes that SMK TKD took, the most accurate answer might be something like, 'whatever your instructor's instructor('s instructor) decided it should be'.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess we're somewhat loosely affiliated with the KKW; my instructor has a fifth dan with them, anyway. But we do the Kichos and the Palgwes; a lot of what's in Richard Chun's two books on MDK TKD is in our curriculum (though he only goes up to Palgwe 6; apparently 7-8 are considered to be advanced forms). One of the things that struck me when I first saw Chun's books is how similar the MDK TKD (his version, in any case) and Song Moo Kwan curricula (in our particular lineage, anyway) are.

I get the feeling that in spite of decades of the KKW's efforts to standardize the syllabus, there is still an almost chaotic diversity of curricula out there. There's the Official Story, on the one hand, and then there's what people are actually doing in their dojangs on the other, and they're not the same at all. I think, if we were able to look at actual school practice and day-to-day training across a few hundred dojangs, we'd be pretty struck by how much diversity there is out there. Which to me is a very good thing; but it also may mean that there is no simple answer to what MDK TKD 'is'. Looking at the different routes that SMK TKD took, the most accurate answer might be something like, 'whatever your instructor's instructor('s instructor) decided it should be'.

I knew that Song Moo Kwan was also very close to Soo Bahk Do/Tang Soo Do, in addition to Jido Kwan. Jido Kwan was actually one of the Kwans that initially refused to unite as referenced in the History of TKD article. They are also very similar.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a friend who is an 8th Dan KKW who is very proud to claim MDK TKD. I don't know the details, only that his father was his instructor as a child. I'd be interested in knowing more of the connections.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is funny when I tell people I am MDK TKD they all tell me I am TSD and I tell them no. So much for that anyway there are alot of folks that hold true to MDK TKD even though they teach the new form for there school for competition sake.

The KKW does not have a great curriculum that goes out to all KKW school they have become a certified mill over the years because people need these certificate to really compete at certain events.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, I didn't know that you were in MDK TKD! Do you know anythign else about the evolution and history after Hwang Kee parted ways?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is funny when I tell people I am MDK TKD they all tell me I am TSD and I tell them no. So much for that anyway there are alot of folks that hold true to MDK TKD even though they teach the new form for there school for competition sake.

Yeah, it seems as if a lot of people don't know about the huge split in the MDK. For those folks, Moo Doo Kwan TKD is a contradiction in terms. You have to wave Chun's book, with the title Moo Doo Kwan Taekwondo in their face before they'll believe you... :rolleyes:

The KKW does not have a great curriculum that goes out to all KKW school they have become a certified mill over the years because people need these certificate to really compete at certain events.

You could get the feeling that as long as they collect their registration fees, they don't much care what you actually do. It does keep Big Brother from getting too much in your face, though...

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have seen TKD MDK schools teach the Pal-gwes and Taegeuk forms, which are recognized by the Kukkiwon. I have seen some schools teach the traditional TSD curriculum (Kichos, Pyung Ahns, etc). In the end it is up to the instructor/school owner as to what is taught.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I know what I have been told but will not discuss on the boardm naybe at the M&G we can talk about it or by phone. Sorry to many people calling other people a liar for me to get into on a board .

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it is hard for some people to understand. Especially with the trademark issues, etc. There is a TKD MDK school that just opened in my area, from what I understand they are very similar to the TSD I do. I don't think they are affiliated with KKW.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then where do these dojangs come from that say they are practicing TKD MDK? They are still around...

They are TKD dojang whose lineage is from the MDK. There is even a Pan American Moo Duk Kwan Society which serves as a link to the Korea TKD Moo Duk Kwan Association-www.moodukkwansociety.com

This group is composed of many senior GMs (TSD & TKD) with a MDK lineage.

Miles

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is funny when I tell people I am MDK TKD they all tell me I am TSD and I tell them no
Years ago MDKTKD and MUKTSD where very much the same. Some schools taught different forms but in compitition or on the practice floor they looked the same.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know what I have been told but will not discuss on the boardm naybe at the M&G we can talk about it or by phone. Sorry to many people calling other people a liar for me to get into on a board .

I understand completely, there are a lot of aspects of my style that I wouldn't go into on a public forum for the same reasons, I'm sure.

Latest Discussions