Sword display-safety?

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, posted this in the Aikido section as well, but thought a cross post may also elicit some replies here.

Additionally, I would like to have a sword display with both Katana and Wakizashi, but here's the rub. It needs to be relatively inexpensive (for display only), and would prefer either bladeless, or fixed (unable to remove). The reason is, our dojo is located at a school with multiple other martial arts, and there are lots of kids/children around all the time. The area we practice in, is the matted area in the back, and it is not always in use. We have a concern about a child potentially walking back there unattended and finding a sword and the inherent liability therein.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/thoughts about purchasing a "safe" sword display for the shrine?

Thanks,

Mike

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have several bladed weapons in my school.
They are mounted approx. 9 foot high and are wired to the wall. It would take a ladder and a lot of effort to remove.
They are wired because they are for display and not to be played with.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You would absolutely be able to find some cheap display swords that are made of metal that would basically snap before they hurt any one.

we used to get them at markets.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm confused-I know I'm cranky, so maybe I'm just extra-cranky this morning, but why would you display a blade that isn't used in a martial arts school?

Do you practice bladed arts? Why would you display a blade if you don't?

This kind of really applies to the katana-every time I've visited a karate dojo that displays a katana, no matter how good the instruction was, or how legitimate the organization, if they didn't teach how to use it, and it was just there for decoration, I've thought a little bit-just a little bit-less of them......unless it was a trophy from a tournament-then I thought less of the tournament....

Why decorate with a katana?

OP
Spinedoc

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We practice Aiki-Ken, and the sword display is meant as an homage to the history of JSA and it's impact on Aikido. At our current dojo there is no kenjutsu or iaido, although I am starting iaido (MSR) at another dojo. I have frequently seen sword displays at aikido dojos in the shrine under the picture of O'Sensei, my question is how to present this in a safe manner in a dojo used by multiple other people and martial arts. It is not meant as anything more than an homage to the art. That is all.

Mike

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you would better off making it. Then you could secure it as strongly as you want.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you only want the scabbard and hilt showing buy a cheap, one take it apart, remove the blade, clue (super glue) the hilt together and then to the scabbard

No it is not a sword at that time it is a representation of one only

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
We practice Aiki-Ken, and the sword display is meant as an homage to the history of JSA and it's impact on Aikido. At our current dojo there is no kenjutsu or iaido, although I am starting iaido (MSR) at another dojo. I have frequently seen sword displays at aikido dojos in the shrine under the picture of O'Sensei, my question is how to present this in a safe manner in a dojo used by multiple other people and martial arts. It is not meant as anything more than an homage to the art. That is all.

Mike

"Aiki-ken," not really "blade art" at all......

If it's a sword, it's not :safe."

Train kids not to touch it. Or don't b other. An "homage to the art" has no business in a "shrine" worthy of the name:

Swords are meant to be sharp. I find the idea of anything less than practice blades (which are meant to be intended as the real thing, as in: sharp) being dull, more than a little offensive.

What would we call you, the "Dojo of the Dull Blade?" Doesn't sound very "martial" does it? How about, "School of the Empty Scabbard?"

No?

How about, "Aunt Millie's Childsafe Blade Display Daycare Dojo?"
rolling.gif

My point being that if you're concerned about children mucking with the display when you're not there, how about ya just don't do it?

OP
Spinedoc

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's a fair point, and I may not even put one up. Was just trying to think of a way of doing so safely. I have seen many other aikido dojos with a display similarly to what I am talking of. Sorry to have offended you. Of course Aiki-ken is not the same as real sword training. I am quite well aware of that, and have never claimed otherwise. Aiki-ken, like Aiki-jo is designed to only complement open handed aikido, nothing more.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I have seen many other aikido dojos with a display similarly to what I am talking of. .

I might suggest, at the risk of being downright offensive-that those "many other aikido dojos" aren't what you want to represent.......

I'd add that I've seen the bokken and jo displayed at the kamidana of traditional aikido dojo in Japan, but not the katana. I've only seen that in the U.S., though it takes place in other places, I'm sure-and maybe even Japan......if they teach sword there......and the swords were likely real......and everyone knew not to touch them......need I go on?

"Sword display safety..." How about, "Keep yer dickskinners off of it!!"

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a fair point, and I may not even put one up. Was just trying to think of a way of doing so safely. I have seen many other aikido dojos with a display similarly to what I am talking of. Sorry to have offended you. Of course Aiki-ken is not the same as real sword training. I am quite well aware of that, and have never claimed otherwise. Aiki-ken, like Aiki-jo is designed to only complement open handed aikido, nothing more.
What is the point of the display? Do you understand why swords are in the displays you've seen? Or is it merely a case of "someone saw it and they did it so they did it, and someone saw them... " Way too often, we see people in martial arts imitating what they believe are the "authentic traditions" of the home nation/culture without understanding, and sometimes with serious misunderstandings. I have to agree with elder -- if you're not comfortable putting the real thing out, don't put anything out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe I'm confused-I know I'm cranky, so maybe I'm just extra-cranky this morning, but why would you display a blade that isn't used in a martial arts school?

Do you practice bladed arts? Why would you display a blade if you don't?

This kind of really applies to the katana-every time I've visited a karate dojo that displays a katana, no matter how good the instruction was, or how legitimate the organization, if they didn't teach how to use it, and it was just there for decoration, I've thought a little bit-just a little bit-less of them......unless it was a trophy from a tournament-then I thought less of the tournament....

Why decorate with a katana?

Yeah that is kind of cranky. I don't think you need a reason to display anything you want. I mean hey why do people wear red. They are not fire men?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

don't stress. You actually cant not offend these guys. It is part of their charm.

OP
Spinedoc

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
don't stress. You actually cant not offend these guys. It is part of their charm.

Well, I was raised to be polite, and one of the things I learned both in the military and since was to always try to be polite. Until it was time to not be….LOL. ;)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah that is kind of cranky. I don't think you need a reason to display anything you want. I mean hey why do people wear red. They are not fire men?

In this case, the reason does matter. Spinedoc is considering displaying swords as part of his dojo's shrine. The items there should have meaning and intent, not merely be there to look neat. Displaying a fake may be adequate for a movie or prop -- but in a real training hall? At the very least, it misses the point, I think. It'd be kind of like putting an almost right national flag up for display at a civic event.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In this case, the reason does matter. Spinedoc is considering displaying swords as part of his dojo's shrine. The items there should have meaning and intent, not merely be there to look neat. Displaying a fake may be adequate for a movie or prop -- but in a real training hall? At the very least, it misses the point, I think. It'd be kind of like putting an almost right national flag up for display at a civic event.

plenty of almost right national flags at civic events. Those little ones on a stick for example. And they are used incorrectly. I assume there are technical rules for owning a katana like being a samurai.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Trying to think, but I don't think I've ever seen an iai dojo display swords before. Bokken and jo in racks for usage, yes, but never a sword.
Simplicity and practicality for me, but to each their own.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
there used to be a dojo of some sort in a town nearby, that had a plush toy stuffed tiger on display in the window along side the tournament trophies and whatnot. I could never figure that one out, could never quite understand the message they were trying to make. Other than, "babysitting club" I guess...

I feel the same way about the fake swords put on display by people who have no understanding of the weapon and do not even attempt to train with it. It's just another plush toy tiger. What's the intended message? Fantasy martial arts club for pre-pubescent teenage boys who will still be living with their parents when they turn 40.

Latest Discussions