Suggestions for Good Supplemental Workout DVDs or Programs

Stargazer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This forum has been super informative and helpful.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a good supplemental workout DVD or program? You know, for the days you're stuck at home or can't get to the gym. Nothing to replace training, but something to supplement it.

I've heard everything from power yoga to the intense workout infomercial programs to simple cardio. Thoughts? I need to get more flexibility/fluidity and strong, consistent strength in my forms. Thanks for any tips.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will admit I am biased LOL, but I have truly seen results with the programs you see late at night: P90X, Insanity, etc. They have truly given me results, and I stick to them because there is a massive support system online. A lot of those infomercial workouts get labelled as "fads," but let me tell you: P90X has been out for 10 years and it still accounts for a high percentage of Beachbody's revenue. That is no fad.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I liked p90x. I really only do the ab and yoga workouts anymore, I normally do Olympic style lifts, but I usually do a high intensity workout once a week inspired by concepts from p90x. P 90x won't necessarily give much more than just basic athletic strength, but it's a great workout... you do need some basic equipment though.

My friend has done insanity for about two years now and she looks amazing. Could do 14 pull-ups last time I saw her.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I liked p90x. I really only do the ab and yoga workouts anymore, I normally do Olympic style lifts, but I usually do a high intensity workout once a week inspired by concepts from p90x. P 90x won't necessarily give much more than just basic athletic strength, but it's a great workout... you do need some basic equipment though.

My friend has done insanity for about two years now and she looks amazing. Could do 14 pull-ups last time I saw her.

Right, P90X isn't meant to be a mass-gaining program. For that you would do better with Body Beast (again, if you were looking into the home-based fitness market).

As for Insanity, I don't doubt that pull-up count for your friend. There are no pull-ups in Insanity (although there are in the sequel Asylum), but the fitness you gain from that program could definitely give you the ability to do that many!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I enjoy running, biking and swimming (tho I often do not have the opportunity to swim) so that is what I do. I personally don't have any faith in buying a program. I know that I would not be interested enough in the exercise itself to stick with it. Figure out what you enjoy for its own sake, and that's what you'll stick with.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
when I had access to a lap pool regularly I was pretty damn cut.

Didn't know that about Insanity... she must do pull-ups outside of that, regardless she looks great and is very fit.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
when I had access to a lap pool regularly I was pretty damn cut.

Didn't know that about Insanity... she must do pull-ups outside of that, regardless she looks great and is very fit.

Trust me, I know from my own results that Insanity contributed to that! LOL

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To piggy back on the P90X and Insanity route, I use RUSHFit and I really like that program. I also hear that DDP Yoga is a really good program but I've never personally used it.

Latest Discussions