Your thoughts on a new training regimen

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
So as a disclaimer, this regime is quite extreme. I will be maintaining it for 5 weeks, with the fifth week being an offload week, where I do the workouts with considerably less weight and intensivity.

This starts off at 0530 in the morning. I get to the gym at around 0600 and begin at 0610. I work a specific muscle group, with 4-6 exercises at around intermediate to heavy weight. I don't go to my maximum weight (benchpress 1 rep max most likely around 80kg, training weight usually at around 70kg) instead I go bit less than my normal weight, in the case of benchpress around 60kg. After this I will finish off with a small muscle group like forearms with 1-2 exercises with heavy weights. This is then followed by a 6 minute ab workout which consists of switching exercises with no rest each 30 seconds. Finally, I conclude with about 10-20 minutes of full body stretches which mainly concentrate on the legs to help with kicking height and achieving the splits.

I will get home, and eat about 3-5 eggs, sometimes with a bit of bacon. Shower, uni work, until late in the afternoon. This is when I will have 1 hour of martial arts training comes in. Due to the COVID situation, most martial clubs only do 1 session weekly at my university. After this, I immediately go to the gym and hit the same muscle groups I did in the morning with more or less the same exercises and intensivity, again finishing off with the small ab workout and stretches.

As soon as I get home I will eat and shower. Here is a table of the muscle groups and martial arts I train weekly.
MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFriday
Chest, BicepsBackLegs, TricepsChestShoulders, Forearms
Shorinji Kempo - 1hrBJJ - 1hrJudoBJJTaekwondo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Saturday and Sunday are rest days completely dedicated to studying and resting up. I get to sleep at around 2100-2130 in order to get my 8/8.5 hours of daily sleep. As for food, breakfast always consists of 4-5 eggs, sometimes with a sausage and some bacon. Lunch is 2-3 burger patties with 150-200g of greens (Edamame, brocolli, brussel sprouts) and one or two eggs. Dinner is virtually the same. Every 4 days, I carb load which consists of 1-2 chocolate bars, the eggs for lunch and dinner replaced with 150-200g of rice and sometimes my breakfast replaced with 200g of oats mixed with boiling water and 2 spoonfuls of honey (basically porridge).

My goal is to:
  • gain mass
  • maintain fighting ability
  • increase flexibility
  • use up most of my free time to improve my conditioning and abilities
I want to compete as soon as this COVID stuff is over, and also maybe become a professional some day. I train to be the best I can be and I wanted to hear some thoughts on what you think. I have already been following this for a week, except I had to exclude the martial arts training as the clubs are shut down for another week due to COVID restrictions. So far I am doing good, although I certainly feel tired. This Saturday I will be measuring my dimensions with a tape measure and comparing the results with those I get on the Monday after the fifth (offload) week.

I will post the results on here.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lot of different martial arts in there. Are they all taught at the same school? Are your instructors aware of the cross training? Most instructors won't mind but often want to know because it influences how and what they teach you.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So as a disclaimer, this regime is quite extreme. I will be maintaining it for 5 weeks, with the fifth week being an offload week, where I do the workouts with considerably less weight and intensivity.

This starts off at 0530 in the morning. I get to the gym at around 0600 and begin at 0610. I work a specific muscle group, with 4-6 exercises at around intermediate to heavy weight. I don't go to my maximum weight (benchpress 1 rep max most likely around 80kg, training weight usually at around 70kg) instead I go bit less than my normal weight, in the case of benchpress around 60kg. After this I will finish off with a small muscle group like forearms with 1-2 exercises with heavy weights. This is then followed by a 6 minute ab workout which consists of switching exercises with no rest each 30 seconds. Finally, I conclude with about 10-20 minutes of full body stretches which mainly concentrate on the legs to help with kicking height and achieving the splits.

I will get home, and eat about 3-5 eggs, sometimes with a bit of bacon. Shower, uni work, until late in the afternoon. This is when I will have 1 hour of martial arts training comes in. Due to the COVID situation, most martial clubs only do 1 session weekly at my university. After this, I immediately go to the gym and hit the same muscle groups I did in the morning with more or less the same exercises and intensivity, again finishing off with the small ab workout and stretches.

As soon as I get home I will eat and shower. Here is a table of the muscle groups and martial arts I train weekly.
MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFriday
Shorinji Kempo - 1hrBJJ - 1hrJudoBJJTaekwondo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Saturday and Sunday are rest days completely dedicated to studying and resting up. I get to sleep at around 2100-2130 in order to get my 8/8.5 hours of daily sleep. As for food, breakfast always consists of 4-5 eggs, sometimes with a sausage and some bacon. Lunch is 2-3 burger patties with 150-200g of greens (Edamame, brocolli, brussel sprouts) and one or two eggs. Dinner is virtually the same. Every 4 days, I carb load which consists of 1-2 chocolate bars, the eggs for lunch and dinner replaced with 150-200g of rice and sometimes my breakfast replaced with 200g of oats mixed with boiling water and 2 spoonfuls of honey (basically porridge).

My goal is to:
  • gain mass
  • maintain fighting ability
  • increase flexibility
  • use up most of my free time to improve my conditioning and abilities
I want to compete as soon as this COVID stuff is over, and also maybe become a professional some day. I train to be the best I can be and I wanted to hear some thoughts on what you think. I have already been following this for a week, except I had to exclude the martial arts training as the clubs are shut down for another week due to COVID restrictions. So far I am doing good, although I certainly feel tired. This Saturday I will be measuring my dimensions with a tape measure and comparing the results with those I get on the Monday after the fifth (offload) week.

I will post the results on here.
i only got so far through, but REST is important part of fitness, why hit the same muscles twice in one day,

do enough to trigger adaptation and then wait for the adaptation to happen, then go again

what your doing has a greater,similarity to body building than fitness building but even that can be over done

there an optimum amount of exercise for what ever your teyibg to do

to little and to MUCH has the effect of slowibg down progress

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
i only got so far through, but REST is important part of fitness, why hit the same muscles twice in one day,

do enough to trigger adaptation and then wait for the adaptation to happen, then go again

what your doing has a greater,similarity to body building than fitness building but even that can be over done

there an optimum amount of exercise for what ever your teyibg to do

to little and to MUCH has the effect of slowibg down progress
Yes that's what I was concerned about. It is supposed to be bodybuilding oriented rather than a normal gymming routine. I researched the idea of training two muscle groups a day and read multiple articles that stated that it would allow you to build up more gains, assuming that instead of training at the maximum weight and intensity, you trained between medium and heavy in both workouts - enough to feel like you did a good workout, but not enough to fatigue you like your average, high intensity weight-oriented workout. Thus, I incorporated into the regime, but I am concerned as to how the 1 extra hour of martial arts will affect this. Also, whether 8 hours of daily sleep, with maybe a 2 hour daily nap. I am also concerned as whether I eat enough.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes that's what I was concerned about. It is supposed to be bodybuilding oriented rather than a normal gymming routine. I researched the idea of training two muscle groups a day and read multiple articles that stated that it would allow you to build up more gains, assuming that instead of training at the maximum weight and intensity, you trained between medium and heavy in both workouts - enough to feel like you did a good workout, but not enough to fatigue you like your average, high intensity weight-oriented workout. Thus, I incorporated into the regime, but I am concerned as to how the 1 extra hour of martial arts will affect this. Also, whether 8 hours of daily sleep, with maybe a 2 hour daily nap. I am also concerned as whether I eat enough.

start by doing it every three days then two, you are always goibg to need a days rest one in every three

the 531 strengh work out has you working a muscle group at 80% once every 5/6days with a days rest in between muscle groups and that works and pumps your body up nicely, you cant go faster than your muscle can repair and grow, hence steriods, if your takibg advice from a body builder there a very good schhance that he is steriod user and the advice only works for steriod users

cardio work outs need to happen a lot more frequently than that

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When will you have time to soak your body in that urine bath?

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
As far as the exercise stuff I can’t say I’m not a personal trainer and everyone’s body is different to how it reacts to that type of thing. But for the martial arts it seems like you’re stretching yourself to thin tbh. I mean over 5 days your training 4 different styles so while yes you will improve in each. It’ll be a slower progression and of course an important part of martial arts is practicing by yourself which you won’t have the time to solo train each style. In my opinion which you can take or leave makes no difference to me but at the most you should pick 2 and just stick with those. Otherwise it’s just to much all at once

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as the exercise stuff I can’t say I’m not a personal trainer and everyone’s body is different to how it reacts to that type of thing. But for the martial arts it seems like you’re stretching yourself to thin tbh. I mean over 5 days your training 4 different styles so while yes you will improve in each. It’ll be a slower progression and of course an important part of martial arts is practicing by yourself which you won’t have the time to solo train each style. In my opinion which you can take or leave makes no difference to me but at the most you should pick 2 and just stick with those. Otherwise it’s just to much all at once
I don't really have a choice. All of these styles only do 1 class a week, and apart from BJJ, which only does two in my current beginner's program, I haven't managed to find clubs that are open for more. It's only temporary due to COVID. I also don't know why I included Judo in there since I was actually going to drop it. I mean come on how do you train Judo without making contact...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I assume you mean 3-5 dozen eggs? If you keep doing that you'll get to be roughly the size of a barge.
i think he neans eggs not crates of eggs, but anyway eggs are not particularly fattening, you may die of a heart attack, but youl be thin whilst you do it

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
5,3,1 program that jobo was talking about.
5/3/1: How to Build Pure Strength | T Nation
Super great program for strength building. You can tweak it a little but to start off id stick more or less to the core concept and get a feel for it. Another plus is that its not a long routine. I knock out my version in roughly 40 mins. So you'll have plenty of time to train MA and stretch and all that

Latest Discussions