Stupid thing you've done in training

B

Black Bear

When I bought my banana cup (aka. "tuckunder"), I was really excited. I was showing my colleagues, and I said, go on, kick me! Kick me as hard as you can in the nuts!

Well you know, with a tuckunder, you won't get your testicles mashed and swollen into grapefruits, but it still hurts enough to make you go cross-eyed.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've just cracked myself in the head a few times with rattan...worst time was while on the floor at a seminar.

it left a nice bump. :)

OP
G

gman

When I was learning parries we went over the proper way to parry and my instructor said be sure to take the parry to the side if your head. Well, I guess I didn't take his advise and I took the parry straight into my face and poked myself in the eye. What a genious.:shrug:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
...I've clocked myself in the head with my 'chucks quite a few times.....and tangled the peaches in the chain...boy...that's a new kind of pain, right there...:shrug:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The 3 section staff is my nemesis. I've whacked my self so many times that I start to see double every time I look at one of them.

The goofiest thing I've ever done in class was my first week and first defense line in my aikido class. I had been trained for a couple of years in kenpo and the first attack that comes at me I just reacted and went into Whirling Warrior instead of one of the aikido techniques I was supposed to be working on.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chronuss
[Band tangled the peaches in the chain...boy...that's a new kind of pain, right there...:shrug: [/B]

How did you get the beans above the franks!!!!

There's Something about MA

OP
B

Black Bear

Wait, that's not the stupidest. I was practicing power strokes on a tire (hanging, like a punching bag). Normally, depending on the position of the tire and the angle of incidence, the strike will either flow through or bounce off. This time, there was a wonky rattan vibration and it went straight back into my face. Broke a tooth.

While I was having it capped, I got fitted for a Proform mouthguard.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by upnorthkyosa
How did you get the beans above the franks!!!!

very carefully...;) ...I was doing a rotation around the leg and the chain brushed against...whew...:rofl:

OP
B

Black Bear

That "bubble" was without a doubt the most disturbing movie scene I've ever witnessed.

OP
L

LadyDragon

I'll never forget the first time I did a double reverse cresent kick. In the middle of one of my kicks I lost my focus and ended up on my back on the floor...

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was at a silat seminar just this last weekend and while falling to a hari mau position I was supposed to smash my elbow into my partner's thigh. To be nice I purposely missed, but I added too much zeal to the technique which made my elbow come to a very abrupt stop on the unpadded concrete floor. Still can't lean on it 4 days later.

OP
K

KanoLives

After my class had finished, my instructor asked me to warm up the next class which was the adult beginner class. After doing some drills to warm up the body. We went into our straight leg swings to stretch the hamstrings. As I was counting and doing them with the class I swung my leg up. The momentum caused me to slip with the one foot I was standing on and I fell flat on my back.

I played it off though by saying I wanted everyone to slap out (breakfall backwards). And asked if everyone had seen my demonstration of it. Don't think they bought it though. :rofl:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
I was at a silat seminar just this last weekend and while falling to a hari mau position I was supposed to smash my elbow into my partner's thigh. To be nice I purposely missed, but I added too much zeal to the technique which made my elbow come to a very abrupt stop on the unpadded concrete floor. Still can't lean on it 4 days later.
Did that with a heel strike (stomp to the head) during a kenpo demo. Bruised all the way to the bone. Didn't even limp until the demo was over but limped for a week or two afterwards.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
knocked myself silly with nunchuks, trying to pass the chuk under my arm and catch on top. cracked myself across the back of the head and next thing I knew, I was staring at the ceiling thinking "oooh...lookit the pretty stars!"

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nightingale
knocked myself silly with nunchuks, trying to pass the chuk under my arm and catch on top.

..the first time I tried that rotation...it went under my arm and cracked me on my left temple...had a nice knot and a cut since they were octagonal 'chucks...shoulda been using the ones with the rounded ends...

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mine have rounded ends, but all my weapons wooden components are made from purpleheart, which is a very hard, very heavy wood. in other words... OUCH!

Kamas- purpleheart handles
nunchuks - purpleheart handles
escrima - purpleheart sticks
bo - purpleheart staff
katana - purpleheart grip

I've even got two stilettos with purpleheart handles that I wear to the renaissance faire. hehe. all my weapons match. the kamas, chuks, escrima and bo I bought at a MA supply store all at once, because the wood was so beautiful and had such a nice feel to it. The katana and stilettos were made especially for me by a wonderful craftsman.

Latest Discussions