Stupid Weapon Injuries

xTNVx NirVana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Have any of you had any stupid weapons injuries? I did. Today, I was running down this narrow passageway with my bo staff (I was going to the open park where I could practice. Well, there was a petrusion from a fence, and the bo staff was parallel to the ground. I ran at around 7 mph and I wasn't paying attention to the length of my bo staff (6 ft). Guess what? Is hit the wall and drove in to my leg. Luckly, my friend was with me, so he got my parents to get me back home. Luckly, nothing broke, but I have an about 3 inch bruise one my leg, and it hurts like heck to run. Luckly, nothing major happened. Anything stupid like this happen to you?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once when I was putting an SKS back together I jammed the bayonet about half an inch into one of my fingers. I nearly took off the end of my left thumb with a knife.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once when I was practicing with my dragon staff (its about 40 inches long and an inch in diameter, made of hardwood) outdoors when it began to rain. The form requires quite a bit of spinning of the weapon and mine happens to be lacquered. The end result it shot out of my hand straight up and came down on top of my back and shoulders. The strange thing is I didn't learn and have been caught out in the rain more than once. No more injuries though.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yup - I refuse to use the 3 part staff cause I got it twirling real good one day and forgot it was IN SECTIONS...and knocked the bejeezus outta myself with one end of it as a result.

knifeboy

White Belt
Reaction score
ya - i once hit myself in the face while practicing with nunchucks (full force).

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I recently witnessed a trainee practicing asp strikes. The asp was retracted anf the strike was to be with butt into a pad. The trainee forgot to put his thumb over the top of the asp and it extended and he caught the tip right in the forehead. In no time it had swollen to golfball size.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok I confess, back when I was young, stupid with no training I used to "practice" in front of the mirror with various weapons like those idiots you can see at youtube. Doing just that with a pair of manchetes I once somehow managed to chop into both of my arms at the same time. It wasn`t too bad, but the scars are still a reminder to me to treat your weapons with respect.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Real injuries no, but I regularly hit pretty hard my shin or my knee with my Jo. There are some excericises that I do at home to practice with Jo where it is important that when you swing it by your side it remains very close to the body and doesn't swing wide. It happens that I smack my shin and knee trying to keep the Jo as close as I can to my body.
As I said, no injury, just a little bit of pain heehee.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
So how does it feel to hold a Garand by the tip of your finger :xtrmshock

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On a cold winter day it can make your thumb hurt like hell.
The advantage of the M1A1 is the BOX MAG!

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have dropped a sai or two on my foot a couple of times because I was not focusing on what I should have been doing.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All I can say is that if you already have a previous shoulder injury that is bothering you, don't do an hourlong bo workout with an emphasis on adding snap to the strikes...

Stupid.Stupid.Stupid.

Not only was the arm useless for about a week or so afterwards, but in shielding it, I also managed to deposit everything in my opposite elbow... resulting in a nice case of tennis elbow on top of the shoulder...

You live and you learn. Well, you live anyway.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Surely you've gotten the mandatory chin laceration from hanbo practice?

Obviously, I do not train with nunchaku.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The two sectional staff is tapered, with the butt end having about a 2 inch diameter. Spun it behind my back as I was turning and brought it right across by knee as I turned to the front. I limped for two weeks.

Same weapon has a 12" section at the end attached with a chain. Part of the form has you spinning it over your head, and then bending over to spin it across your back. It's very important to remember where that whippy end is at all times...

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Real injuries no, but I regularly hit pretty hard my shin or my knee with my Jo. There are some excericises that I do at home to practice with Jo where it is important that when you swing it by your side it remains very close to the body and doesn't swing wide. It happens that I smack my shin and knee trying to keep the Jo as close as I can to my body.
As I said, no injury, just a little bit of pain heehee.

Yeah, I run into this problem with the Dragon Staff as well. The shins and knees can take a fair old whacking when standing in Horse Stance.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I run into this problem with the Dragon Staff as well. The shins and knees can take a fair old whacking when standing in Horse Stance.

What is the Dragon Staff if you don't mind me asking? I'm not familiar with that one.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the Dragon Staff if you don't mind me asking? I'm not familiar with that one.

The Dragon Staff is a weapon similar to a Jo. It is about 40 inches long and an inch in diameter, mine is made of hardwood and is lacquered, others have pine ones. It was developed from a walking stick used by monks at the monastery where my bagua style was developed, in Sichuan. The reason it is called a Dragon Staff is because the original walking sticks had a dragon head on the top.

The techniques are really cool with a lot of leg strikes and parry and counterstrike. There is a bloody long, and repetitive, form that goes with it.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
overtrained one day with the kukri and it sliped out of my hand on a downward strike - sunk about an inch into the floor about a milimeter from my toe.

for those that don't know, the kukri - even dull like mine was - is unforgiving to say the least.

other than that, too many knicks and cuts with a knife to remember.

Latest Discussions