Stupid thing you've done in training

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Decided to break some boards with my head at a demo and knocked myself out. Should have stopped at two. Oh well, no more head breaks.

OP
S

Spud

We were doing an intro to Krav Maga at our Dojang. The visiting instructor was a very energetic gentleman and wanted to make sure we were getting some cardio in (silly thing for a two hour intro class). Both my partner and me were rapidly getting winded and losing focus as we worked the combinations on hand targets.

He dropped his guard and I stepped in too close – perfect elbow strike right to his forehead. Left a big goose-egg.

Kind of funny, but the instructor was pushing our boundaries for a safe class.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lost focus and punched the floor doing a form, broke 3 bones in my hand

Forgot once( and only once) that new students can kick hard as hell and ended up with 2 broken ribs

Said something stupid to my instructor once (thinking I was being funny) he didn't see it that way

OP
K

kenpo12

Picked up a piece of wood in the garage and didn't realize it was laminated. It took about 3 months for my knuckle to feel normal again after punching through it.

OP
S

Spud

Originally posted by kenpo12
Picked up a piece of wood in the garage and didn't realize it was laminated. It took about 3 months for my knuckle to feel normal again after punching through it.

Those pesky details! LOL!

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Let's see now...

Smacked myself in the head with a rattan stick,

Smacked my partner in the head with a rattan stick,

Slipped on my own sweat while doing a spinning hook kick and landed on my rear,

Slipped on someone else's sweat while doing a spinning hook kick and landed on my back,

This one's my best: We've got this one form where you give a little hopping front kick and then cross one foot behind the other (in pyong-an 4). One day, when I had gone for a while without trimming my toenails, I cut the heel of my front foot with the big toenail of my back foot. It bled quite nicely too.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zepp
One day, when I had gone for a while without trimming my toenails, I cut the heel of my front foot with the big toenail of my back foot. It bled quite nicely too.

...I've gotten cut by someone else's toenail...does that count...?
::shudder::...

OP
B

Black Bear

Originally posted by Chronuss
...I've gotten cut by someone else's toenail...does that count...?
::shudder::...
I did too. That was nasty.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Heh, I've gone for a crossover side kick a couple of times and just sort of scooted my supporting leg into thin air, landing myself on my **** with a thud!

Usually in gradings as well when I've been nervous and not concentrating!

Ian.

OP
T

ThirdDegreeBurn

Getting cut by somebody else's toenail just sucks.
I was doing a Shinai form in practice. Figured I like the sound better without the braces on it. Slipped, finger got caught in the bamboo, tried to jerk away and left some nice scratches on my hand.

I was young. Shut up. ;)

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
indeed...but it has to be one of the most disgusting things that can happen.

Actually, the most disgusting thing I've had happen in MA is when I've peeled a piece of dead skin off myself and then realized that that wasn't my skin after all.

(I'm sure you're all glad to picture that.)

OP
S

Shinzu

...I've clocked myself in the head with my 'chucks quite a few times.....and tangled the peaches in the chain...boy...that's a new kind of pain, right there...:shrug:

i know that is not funny but i have never heard them be called peaches before...LOL. ill have to remember that :rofl:

back to the subject. i was trying to show off with the staff and it went flying out of my hands. i never did that again.

OP
M

Mudo Warrior

Ok I did someting completly stupid several years ago. I was training very hard at the time. Strength training, endurance training and flexibility training are now and have always been a big part of my life. However, while i am very successful in the strength and endurance portion of my training I was not blessed with outstanding flexibility. So at the time I had just taken my 1st Dan test a few weeks before and had set the goal of full splits for myself for the future. Anyway to make a long story short one day after stretching for a while I asked one of my freinds and fellow black belts to stand on my thighs after I had gotten out as far as I could go. Yep you guessed it my right hip cracked, and thats right being young and stupid I didn't go to the doctor for a few months so I have very little cartalidge in my hip now. Yes that has to be the supidest thing I have ever done while training.

OP
C

CloudChaser

since i'm still somewhat of a beginner in the martial arts field, i haven't had as many opportunities to screw up big time...but there was this one doozy of an incident while learning to handle the staff where we had to do the figure-8 twirl,... i lost control, and it um, 'jumped' out of my hands towards the head of the senior instructor in front of me! he had his back to me, but managed to block it away in time (it helps when you're facing mirrors, heh)
i, of course, just grinned sheepishly and wanted to go hide in a corner somewhere... oh yeah, if you drop your staff, you gotta pick it up with your feet only so guess what my extremely un-coordinated toes had to struggle doing while everyone was watching with keen amusement...

OP
K

kenpo12

So the lesson is, listen to that little voice inside you that says "Don't do that, you'll hurt yourself".

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont hear that little voice say that but I do hear it say "what the hell did you try that for" and "lets forget that one for a while"