Train SMART- Not HARD.

OP
J

JDenz

the Vioxx and celebrex are probley the best thing that you can get for the swelling and pain you probley are already geting them. If you are taking that you will probley want to stay away from the other stuff.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good Post, Vince. I wish you well.

As far as hard training goes, I tried it. I f**ked up my knee, and pulled my hammies 4 times (right once, left 3 times). I realized that I don't need to kill myself for martial arts. It's all in the technique.

For the breaking question, like I said above, it's all in the technique. If you work on a punch, for example. Make sure you punch correctly (first two knuckles, ect). You don't need to punch something 100 times to do that. Work on it slow motion and work on form. Then use a punching bag to see if you are doing it right. If your hand hurts, you did it wrong ;) When you punch the bag, look at your hand. If the last two knuckles are slightly red instead of the first two, you did it wrong. This goes with any technique. There's different ways to know if you are doing a technique right.

When you break, think "through the board," too. If you stop at the board, you won't break it. Watch your hand mentally go through the board before you break. It helped me when I first started breaking :) And don't forget to hit with the first two knuckles or it will hurt ;)

I never did that "hit gravel" or kick the tree crap, and I am a breaking fool :D And I still have the "girly figure" to boot ;) I heard that I kick like a horse, too (power that is) :shrug:

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Is that what you were refering too?

Actually I was just curious if there was a way to toughen the shins without destroying your legs. So far I have yet to find one. I guess what I'm looking for is someone who has done it in their 20's and 30's and can still walk in their 50's. I'm trying to develop my kicking abilities a bit further and thought that conditioning might be a good addition to my training. However, I don't want to start doing any of this until I can find a sound method that won't leave me crippled. Any resources you can point me towards?

OP
A

Angus

Thai roundhouses (from Muay Thai) and sometimes even wheel kicks (ie, Kyokushin's huge roundhouse) use the shin as the hitting target rather than the instep or ball of the foot. Believe me, you feel it when you receive a shin kick!

OP
R

RCastillo

What about those people that work on taking death blows to the throat, groin, neck. Somehow, that soft tissue area will break down. it wasn't made for that type of torture. Or am I wrong, you correct me on this.:asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Smart training goes with everything. Especially with weight lifting. There are people who do hundreds of sets but that doesn't get them anywhere, or people who do 100 exercises per body part. Not good.

Hard training comes from smart training. You have to put 100% into everything you do, and that everything should be smart training. And there's a difference between just plain overtraining and overtraining to build toughness. Running up mountains without a shirt on in winter isn't for conditioning, more to build heart and your mind.

Why do football players go through tough summer camps? It brings the team together as you all go through peril. Same with boot camp. Same with all the cadets at USMA and the like.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that with us all Vince and as I'm reading your post I was thinking how much it sounds like what I did. When I first started out in 1975 I did everything I could to emmulate the books I'd read, movies I'd seen and soon found that most of what I was doing just flat hurt too much to keep doing. The many, many years of incorrect kicking has really taking it's toll on my knees. No real structural damage but lots of arthritis in them that makes them ache most of the time. It's not to the extent that I can't train, most of the time anyways, but I do have to invest in 55 gallon drums of Ibruoprofen to help dull the ache.

Good luck with your recovery and thanks again for trying to show some of those younger martial artists out there to train smart. After all it's called self-defense not self destruction right?

:asian: :asian: :asian:

Klondike (aka Chuck)