Stupid thing you've done in training

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
He wasn't too happy with me even though I let go of his leg at that point. KT:idunno:

Just curious, he wasn't happy because you had gotten the upper hand or in this case, leg or that you didn't follow through and land him on his butt? Either way, he lost. :)
TW

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
That I'd gotten the upper hand. As I posted elsewhere, a good technician, but sparring is supposed to be his specialty. How could he have underestimated an opponent??:asian:

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
No majors but...

When I first started a big dude threw a big punch and I put in a big block which really hurt. Went back to the end of the line and looked at my arm. There was this huge big egg lump sticking out of it. One of the Instructors saw it and said "did you pop it"? so I promptly turned my arm around and went to pop the lump....he stopped my before I could get a good squeese on it Duh!!! :uhohh:

Gift of return - did the move well aimed my knee and stuck it in. Unfortunatley to the correct spot. My partner couldnt sit or train for a while. Took three months to heal, just about when it was she slipped over and sat on it again...opps

Doing a move that required a spinning left rear stiff leg kick to head. Had a tall partner, my short legs, stiff leg turned into a bent leg, foot went straight between his arms and I split his lip with my heal and he had the cheek to leave his blood on my foot!!!

The list goes on and on, I true walking disaster in the making.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are far too many for me to list them all

Injury wise: I continue to open hand (slap block) low kicks... after having many dislocated fingers you would think that I would know better.

Embarrassment: Well the most embarrassing thing was during my green belt test i got lost in Short 3 and started doing Long three... oh man that sucked. Then that same night after I finished performing my personal form I tripped on a loose carpet seam and did a face plant.

-Josh-

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
i got lost in Short 3 and started doing Long three
Josh, for what it's worth - we've all been there! Easy to do.

I'm curious. Why do you do a personal form at green belt? I've been working on my personal form since orange, but no one's ever seen it - mainly because I keep changing it, and also because we usually show our personal forms when we test for black.

What's the other J in your name stand for? You've got a cool first one:)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:

Yeah, we have all been there. I keep combining Tangun and Toesan, which is yellow and orange in ITF and I'm supposed to have already tested on that. I got to continually keep going over it. Memory is a funny thing. If you don't practice it, you lose it. Not like riding a bike at all.... TW

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor allowed (in fact encouraged) us to occasionally wear street clothes during class in order to experience how different it is from wearing a uniform. Well, this was back in the 70's (insert obligatory "old guy" joke here), and I sometimes wore platform shoes. That's right- one time I wore the stupid platforms in class.

But only one time.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:

I'm curious. Why do you do a personal form at green belt? I've been working on my personal form since orange, but no one's ever seen it - mainly because I keep changing it, and also because we usually show our personal forms when we test for black.

What's the other J in your name stand for? You've got a cool first one:)

Well it wouldn't have been so bad when I got lost if I hadn't been leading some new people throught it... so I didnt catch it until a few techniques down the line, and my instructor didn't say a word till he could see that I knew I screwed up. :btg:

Showing my personal for green belt wasn't really a requirement, but my instructor likes to see the progress I've made on it, to keep me from making and major blunders in it.

dubljay stands for my first and middle name Joshua James.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
dubljay stands for my first and middle name Joshua James.
Had a feeling. My sons are both Js.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
oh boy...let's see...the time i was doing a spinning hook kick on my own...during the beginners class, they were working on their stuff and i was just there doing my own thing...my left leg absolutely left the ground and i hit hard on our wood dance floor...the best part is i literally landed with my legs crossed and my head on my hand...so it looked like i was just resting there, chilling out...everybody hears this loud THUDDD!!! and look over and all they saw was me lying on the floor looking like i was ready for a photoshoot or something....

dumbest thing ever...was at my first judo tournament...drank a whole bottle of gatorade propel water after my first two matches...went out for my third....threw up all over the mat...luckily it was just water...the worst part...i was winning...throwing up on the mat is a hansoku make, automatic disqualification from the tournament....and i had to clean it up too....but hey...if we can't laugh at ourselves?

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not even going to touch injuries,not enough space in here!

One of the many stupid, embarrassing things I have done....

This was about 7 months ago.

A visiting Chinese Wu Shu team (from China)took over our Hapkido Dojang for a weekend,and one of the days we were treated to a "demonstration",and after theirs,we were to give a demo of Hapkido.

So they proceeded to give an absolutely dazzling display of Wu Shu,and then it was our turn. Everything was running smoothly,as expected,there were big aerial breakfalls all the way around,and then my Teacher decides to show defenses against attacks from behind.....well,usually since he likes to toss me around quite a bit,when he wants me to attack,he extends his hands behind him for me to grab. So we do one technique,then another,then another,etc..then he stops to explain something....and I take a knee BEHIND him...at one point he extends his hands....I grab....He didn't want me to...I insist....Paul goes for a very high,very hard trip to the mat....collective "AHHH!" of appreciation from Chinese people.....He looks down to where I'm at,sucking wind and collecting whatever is left of my rattled brain,and says...."Why did you grab me?":whip: How's that for stupid!?!:lol:

OP
T

ThatWasAKick

LOL, Paul. Would have enjoyed seeing that.

My stupid thing was at home. I tend to question everything I learn for it's practicality. The first time I was shown Dragon Wrist (hitting with your wrist in a flicking motion) I thought, "Yeah, right, that's really gonna hurt." <roll eyes>

So I went home, sat in my chair, got curious, and did a dragon wrist to my chin.

My head snapped back, hit the chair, and I saw stars.

Dumb. Really, really dumb. I was so glad no one was watching.

OP
B

blackbeltedbeauty

stupidest thing.....let's see, let's see....there are alot of those. The most recent one, I was swinging my whip chain around and got it caught on the ceiling. I chipped my tooth with my sai once. I've hit myself with the bo staff hundreds of times.

The time I felt dumbest was when I was going up to get my red belt from my tkd instructor after my test. A couple minutes before, I sneezed into my hand. After handing me my red belt, my instructor extended his hand for me to shake it. When I shook with the wrong hand, he asked me why. I told him I sneezed in the other one and the whole dojang rang with laughter. I was being polite, but I can see why it's slightly funny.:)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the dumbest thing i've ever heard came from my friend who studies kempo and does some kyusho jutsu...the head instructor was showing something and knocked one guy out with a strike to the neck.....the guy that got knocked out thought it was so cool...so he's driving home flicking himself in the neck trying to figure out how the instructor did it....he was a smart one

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i would say that when i first started i tried to do an advance technique. it was sort of an air spin move and i didn't pull it off. i fell with my legs facing one way and my up body facing another. naturally i hurt my back and was out of commission for a couple of weeks.

peace

OP
J

jesse sutton

Since i've known my teacher for many years, as a family friend, I know him as Joe. I'm friends with his son, i live down the street from his mother, his sister is a good friend of my mother, and we work at the same job. So he's Joe. Wasnt ever Mr. Foster in my eyes. Then i started training back in February, and although i'm supposed to call him sir in class, or Master Foster, i sometimes forget, and say 'Hey Joe, can you help me with this??' which looks very bad in front of everyone else.

I feel so stupid everytime i do it, but its hard to get out of that.

Other stupid things:

Was punching the bag, and Mr. Teacher was holding the bag, and he just wanted me to go nuts and hit as hard as i could, and forget technique for a moment, and just get it all out. And so i was rockin the bag for a minute or two, and wasnt even thinking anymore, and then he said 'stop,' but i didnt really hear and so he let go of the pad, because he thought i heard him, and i punched the bag right back into his face. I actually thought he was going to murder me on the spot.

When i was learning the spinning outer crescent kick i whipped around too quickly before learning to balance it, and fell on my ***.

Before class me and Joe had gotten some Mcdonalds, and i didnt feel well, and so while doing our situps (leg lifts to be exact) i accidentally let rip the most extraordinary gastric anomale ever. He just laughed it off, but i still felt like a moron in front of everyone else.

After class one day we were playing chess, and while trying to trap his queen, he checkmated me. Ya... he's smarter then me too.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm, let me see... Well, let me start with my old school... The whole class was doing a drill where we had to run back and forth on the mat and touch a marker. I start off at the edge, my second smallest toe gets caught on (rather under) the mat, and I start to trip and manage to not fall and start "windmilling" the rest of the way. It was quite painful to walk for a day or two, because jammed that toe real bad. Now at my current school, and I had just earned my green belt, and decided I wanted to try a new move for my belt level. I tried to do a spinning leg sweep, nearly missed tripping a student in front of me. In order to not sweep them, I had to basically stop in mid- spin, and move my leg out of the way, causing me to fall flat on my backside with a resounding THUMP! We don't have mats here, so every fall sounds worse than it really is. I also fell on my back when I forgot what leg to lift off from for a jumping front kick, then one time I was sparring with one of my instructors, and we clashed shins- left us saying a few words after that, nor could we move right away.

That's it for now. I really am not clumsy, just have "moments".

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bignick said:
the dumbest thing i've ever heard came from my friend who studies kempo and does some kyusho jutsu...the head instructor was showing something and knocked one guy out with a strike to the neck.....the guy that got knocked out thought it was so cool...so he's driving home flicking himself in the neck trying to figure out how the instructor did it....he was a smart one
So let me guess, he crashed??

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions