Knee injury

sotosxboxakias

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

So my story is: I was sparring with a partner that was going too hard on me. I told him to slow down 2-3 times but he did not. few rounds later he kicked me from inside of the leg around the knee when my leg was in the air trying to check the kick.. The kick was painful and i immediately stopped sparring. I added ice on the spot. After some minutes i was able to walk with difficulty and pain.

Next day i was really afraid and went to the hospital. They did an X-ray but no bone fraction or so. The gave me some medicine though. A week later i was able to walk normally but when i was bending my knee it was hurting me. So i went again to another doctor who told me to have a MRI and see from there. it might be a meniscus.

So i did the MRI and i am waiting for the results in a few days.

Here comes my problem. I went on and did the mistake to search online what i might have and almost everyone was telling me that it might be an ACL tear. I have panicked and i can't really sleep two days now.

What do you think?

PS. My knee was not swollen or it was too little to notice for a day or two after.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think doctors who have examined you in person have a better idea than random strangers on the internet. Especially once they have MRI results.

We have a few people in the medical field here on this site, and I would be absolutely shocked if they tried to diagnose you over the forum. In fact, there's this disclaimer in the rules:

1.12 Legal and Medical Related Posts & Issues:

MartialTalk DOES NOT endorse any legal or medical advice given within the community. We highly recommend that members and guests get the advice of an accredited expert whenever possible.

1.12.1 Seeking Legal or Medical Advice

If you need any detailed help, you should seek competent legal/medical counsel, and speak with them in person. Most of us on this forum are neither lawyers nor doctors. If you happen to receive legal or medical advice from another member and wish to follow it, then it's up to you to verify that such information is correct. Martialtalk.com and its staff are not responsible for verifying such things, and the final responsibility rests with the individual user.

With that said, I'll give you this little story.

I recently started doing BJJ. In the gi class, you get tight grips on the gi, and pull on your opponent's pants or jacket to move them around. In no-gi, there is no gi to grip (that's where the name comes from), and so you're instead gripping their muscles to move them around. In no-gi, it's very common to get tiny little bruises about the size of a fingertip.

When I first noticed these bruises, I went on google and looked up "Small random bruises". The search results were telling me that I had a clotting disorder, and that if I didn't get immediate medical attention I would likely die in 2 days.

Then I looked up "Small random bruises BJJ" and google told me this was perfectly normal.

It might be a meniscus tear or an ACL tear. It might not. If it is, then it will suck, but it also can be repaired and will likely eventually be alright.

OP
S

sotosxboxakias

White Belt
Reaction score
I think doctors who have examined you in person have a better idea than random strangers on the internet. Especially once they have MRI results.

We have a few people in the medical field here on this site, and I would be absolutely shocked if they tried to diagnose you over the forum. In fact, there's this disclaimer in the rules:

With that said, I'll give you this little story.

I recently started doing BJJ. In the gi class, you get tight grips on the gi, and pull on your opponent's pants or jacket to move them around. In no-gi, there is no gi to grip (that's where the name comes from), and so you're instead gripping their muscles to move them around. In no-gi, it's very common to get tiny little bruises about the size of a fingertip.

When I first noticed these bruises, I went on google and looked up "Small random bruises". The search results were telling me that I had a clotting disorder, and that if I didn't get immediate medical attention I would likely die in 2 days.

Then I looked up "Small random bruises BJJ" and google told me this was perfectly normal.

It might be a meniscus tear or an ACL tear. It might not. If it is, then it will suck, but it also can be repaired and will likely eventually be alright.
Thanks for the reply. Although what i am trying to have here is if anyone had a similar case as mine. Not a diagnosis of course. Thank you

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Although what i am trying to have here is if anyone had a similar case as mine. Not a diagnosis of course. Thank you
Millions of people have had meniscus and/or ACL injuries. While both suck, neither is particularly devastating.
What confuses me is why you're so freaked out about the possibility that it's an ACL injury vs the meniscus.

OP
S

sotosxboxakias

White Belt
Reaction score
Millions of people have had meniscus and/or ACL injuries. While both suck, neither is particularly devastating.
What confuses me is why you're so freaked out about the possibility that it's an ACL injury vs the meniscus.
Either will be bad. But the acl has like 4 months and more for recovery. Plus i'm really really afraid of any surgical op.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Either will be bad. But the acl has like 4 months and more for recovery. Plus i'm really really afraid of any surgical op.

I have had meniscus repair on both knees, I am also not a big fan of surgery, but they knock you out, you feel nothing and then you go home to recover and you also go to PT to aid in recovery. I actually enjoyed that recovery time.

if it's what you need, it's what you need. Either get it done, take the time to recover, and then go back to training. Don't do it, it my get worse and you can't train, or walk pain free, at all.

I also had a knee replaced, you want something that is not fun and means a long painful recovery, that is it. Meniscus repair is nothing by comparison.

Bottomline, go with what the medical professionals tell you

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bottomline, go with what the medical professionals tell you
Want to add to this-if they tell you nothings wrong and you know you're feeling pain that you shouldn't be, feel free to get a second opinion. Doctors are fallible like the rest of us.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Been there a couple times. Gotta be patient. No working out, carrying weight, etc. Wait for the MRI to come back. That will usually lead to some sort of Dr. consultation and that will usually dictate your path.

OP
S

sotosxboxakias

White Belt
Reaction score
Been there a couple times. Gotta be patient. No working out, carrying weight, etc. Wait for the MRI to come back. That will usually lead to some sort of Dr. consultation and that will usually dictate your path.
Thanks for the reply. Man I’m so afraid and anxious. I can’t even sleep.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Recovery for either varies widely, depending on the severity of the injury and the exact repair needed.

Guess how the meniscus repair is done?
I had my ACL reconstructed twenty-some years back and they had to knock me out to slice open my knee and took a strip of the patellar tendon to transplant. I did not enjoy that. The place on my knee where they harvested the tendon (and a bit of bone) was sore for a long time.

Later I had a torn meniscus worked on, and they did it arthroscopically. It wasn't as bad 'cause I don't really remember much about it.

Nowadays, I believe that the ACL replacement is done arthroscopically as an outpatient, usually using a graft from a cadaver. Sounds gross, but a lot less painful than the old way. So, even on the outside chance that you did face ACL replacement don't get too worked up. You can handle this! ;)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

So my story is: I was sparring with a partner that was going too hard on me. I told him to slow down 2-3 times but he did not. few rounds later he kicked me from inside of the leg around the knee when my leg was in the air trying to check the kick.. The kick was painful and i immediately stopped sparring. I added ice on the spot. After some minutes i was able to walk with difficulty and pain.

Next day i was really afraid and went to the hospital. They did an X-ray but no bone fraction or so. The gave me some medicine though. A week later i was able to walk normally but when i was bending my knee it was hurting me. So i went again to another doctor who told me to have a MRI and see from there. it might be a meniscus.

So i did the MRI and i am waiting for the results in a few days.

Here comes my problem. I went on and did the mistake to search online what i might have and almost everyone was telling me that it might be an ACL tear. I have panicked and i can't really sleep two days now.

What do you think?

PS. My knee was not swollen or it was too little to notice for a day or two after.
Don't panic. Heal first, train later. Make sure you do rehab before going back to full activity.

Today's medical skills and technology makes it much easier to repair. It's no where near what it used to be 30 years ago. The bad news is that you will need to baby that injury for a while. It's not going to be a fast heal. It will start feeling better before it's actually fully healed. That's when you really need to be cautious. The rehab exercises will help you to determine if it's healed vs not hurting.

Latest Discussions