Stupid question number 1.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This also sounds horrific. :D
That is nothin. I was in a class once, when a guy went to grab a guy by the shoulder, but on the way his pinky finger got caught in the fabric of the other guy's gi (or dobak). His pinky finger snapped, and was pointing down when he held his other fingers up. Talk about freaky. :eek:

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That is nothin. I was in a class once, when a guy went to grab a guy by the shoulder, but on the way his pinky finger got caught in the fabric of the other guy's gi (or dobak). His pinky finger snapped, and was pointing down when he held his other fingers up. Talk about freaky. :eek:

This happened with my hand and the rest of my arm falling off my bike once. Snapped my wrist in half. :p

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would happen occasionally when I was Thai-boxing. In the gym, when guys were sparring and going pretty hard, someone would time a good shin, or a knee, right into the lower ribs of their opponent - who would go right down. They'd be out for a bit, too... just as if they'd been head-shocked. There was a E.R. trauma nurse working out with us at the time who apparently asked a doc about it and the doc told him it had to do with all the blood flow and pressure regulation that takes place in/around the liver. Knowing how much blood flows through that area each second, it sounds plausible. Like attacking the carotid sinus, you cause the body's blood pressure system to attempt to reset, which briefly crashes the blood pressure, resulting in brain reboot.
Yeah, I'd guess most body-shot KO's are liver shots. I've had a couple of folks (one a boxer, the other was MMA maybe) tell me they've been KO'd by a liver shot. Anything that disrupts the blood pressure regulators can do that. Years ago I learned a blood regulator point in the neck that can be used to disrupt someone's balance with relatively little force. It might be the same point at work in a video I've seen of a US serviceman KO'ing another while demonstrating a strike to the neck. The principle is that it causes a spike in measured blood pressure (local to that sensor), which the body immediately tries to regulate down. Since the strike only causes a momentary and localized spike, but the regulating system corrects across the entire body, what you end up with is a quick drop in blood pressure, which causes unconsciousness.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd guess most body-shot KO's are liver shots. I've had a couple of folks (one a boxer, the other was MMA maybe) tell me they've been KO'd by a liver shot. Anything that disrupts the blood pressure regulators can do that. Years ago I learned a blood regulator point in the neck that can be used to disrupt someone's balance with relatively little force. It might be the same point at work in a video I've seen of a US serviceman KO'ing another while demonstrating a strike to the neck. The principle is that it causes a spike in measured blood pressure (local to that sensor), which the body immediately tries to regulate down. Since the strike only causes a momentary and localized spike, but the regulating system corrects across the entire body, what you end up with is a quick drop in blood pressure, which causes unconsciousness.

Stuff like this fascinates me. How do people work this stuff out?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once something like this happens, you have the experience; so, it isn't so scary anymore. Consider running your shin into a coffee table. It hurts a lot, but you only wince, because you have done it a hundred times; now, if someone popped you in the face, it would hurt less, but emotionally, you are devastated. Once it happens a few times, it is just like running your shin into a coffee table. You look to avoid it, but you don't hide yourself away, either.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do people ever get seriously hurt do Taekwondo? I understand there will always be some element of risk and that everything will be done to eliminate it. However should I expect to ever break a bone or get knocked out etc at aome point?

I started training in about 1968. Sparring has gotten considerably safer since then. I did break my hand a few years ago by screwing up a block.
Different schools spar using different rules. In our school, the rules, as they relate to the level of contact, vary depending on the age and rank of the student, as well as on their desire.
Even Dan ranked students are not required to spar heavy contact in our school, though most do.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So what's the difference between different guards?
the difference is, that other guards than the common boxing guard, don't work. when there's just your forearm blocking, the kick might just push it away or you might miss the leg (same btw to punches). when the kick hits your head with having your forearm right before it (so right between opponents leg and your head then), most times its no problem for you.
in "olympic" tkd they just let their arms hang around. this isn't even a guard.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Medical science provides a lot of input to understanding these things now. Centuries ago, there wasn't as much understanding, so there was more depenence on answers like "energy flow". Those can still be useful concepts, but they don't actually usually explain what's happening.

The process involved with blood pressure KO's is one I understand rather easily, because I have low blood pressure. If I stay kneeling a while and stand up quikly, it causes my blood pressure to bottom out briefly. It can easily cause me to "grey out", ending me up back on my knees or worse.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Even Dan ranked students are not required to spar heavy contact in our school, though most do.

So it depends on the individuals involved? If they want to or not?

The process involved with blood pressure KO's is one I understand rather easily, because I have low blood pressure. If I stay kneeling a while and stand up quikly, it causes my blood pressure to bottom out briefly. It can easily cause me to "grey out", ending me up back on my knees or worse.

This has happened to me before, if I've been sitting in a hot bath and get up too quickly then I've had something similar. Although it's never caused me to fall to my knees or anything like that. I've lost my vision momentarily. I asked my mother about it a few years ago because she is a nurse and she said it was probably to do with blood pressure. It's this kind of thing?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's possible to get hurt doing most anything, but I wouldn't worry too much about TKD unless you have a medical issue like hypermobility or osteoperosis.

I've only seen one person get knocked out in TKD (in person, I mean), and it was a guy who slipped and fell and hit his head on a chair. Concussions can happen, but aren't very common since (in my experience) people usually only do light head contact in class.

Sprained ankles, broken toes and bone bruises are, in my experience, the most common TKD injuries. Oh, and I've known a couple people that tore their ACL doing spinning jump kicks. That's the worst thing I've seen, I think.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the difference is, that other guards than the common boxing guard, don't work. when there's just your forearm blocking, the kick might just push it away or you might miss the leg (same btw to punches). when the kick hits your head with having your forearm right before it (so right between opponents leg and your head then), most times its no problem for you.
in "olympic" tkd they just let their arms hang around. this isn't even a guard.
Lies! The guard is just as much about striking as it is blocking, :cool:

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's some kind of ligament right?

Yeah, it's a knee ligament. They have to do surgery to repair it, which as I understand it is pretty routine surgery but does mean that you have to stop training for months while it heals up.

When you do a spinning jump kick (like a tornado kick, 540, etc), your body is rotating pretty quickly up in the air. If you land it wrong and like dig your foot in, well, your leg below the knee stops turning but your leg above the knee is still turning, which puts a lot of pressure on the knee to twist and can cause injury.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it depends on the individuals involved? If they want to or not?

This has happened to me before, if I've been sitting in a hot bath and get up too quickly then I've had something similar. Although it's never caused me to fall to my knees or anything like that. I've lost my vision momentarily. I asked my mother about it a few years ago because she is a nurse and she said it was probably to do with blood pressure. It's this kind of thing?
Yep. It happens to me every time I rise from seiza (Japanese kneeling/sitting position). And that's the same effect (though much less abrupt) as what happens when you disrupt a blood pressure sensor.