Stupid question number 1.

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do people ever get seriously hurt do Taekwondo? I understand there will always be some element of risk and that everything will be done to eliminate it. However should I expect to ever break a bone or get knocked out etc at aome point?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can cope with fingers and toes. :) Was more worried about arms, legs, ribs and collar bones really. :D
Not taekwondo, but I've broken almost three of those four (leg, collar bone, and wrist which sort of counts as arm). I am a bit of an oddity in that way though...most people I know don't break many/any bones from training.

Last edited:
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not taekwondoe, but I've broken almost three of those four (leg, collar bone, and wrist which sort of counts as arm). I am a bit of an oddity in that way though...most people I know don't break many/any bones from training.

That's a relief. :D What about getting knocked out? Some of those kicks are vicious.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do people ever get seriously hurt do Taekwondo? I understand there will always be some element of risk and that everything will be done to eliminate it. However should I expect to ever break a bone or get knocked out etc at aome point?

probably not a good idea to worry about something that may or may not happen..
Bumps and bruises are probable and in the end.. make pretty good stories.. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you will be doing is training appropriate to your level, so depending on your fitness and flexibility sore muscles to start with. Later on some bruises and perhaps some stubbed toes and fingers going back if you try to block with them for example. When you start learning kicks it's quite common ( even for 'experts lol) to unbalance themselves and land on their bums. Embarrassing but we've all done it and no harm done.You'll be surprised how quickly you learn even if you think you aren't. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't worry, worry isn't an effective technique, it's counter productive and tiring. Go have fun, enjoy the process, you'll be just fine.

No need to fret for six months or so, when this guy comes by most TKD schools.

:)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends on the training. I wouldn't "expect" to have broken bones (those aren't really common even in grappling arts - I remember only 2 that happened in my presence). If you're sparring with head shots and any level of power, you'll probably eventually get at least one concussion of some sort (which a knock-out is).

dowz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I guess the only probable thing that can get your bone broken/knocked out, is if participate in contact sparring/competition.

Usually for grading purposes... it is either light contact or non contact. You likely won't get much injuries (unless you trip and fell)

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I got fractures in my big toe and little toe on my right foot (seperate incidents.) *shrugs*

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You are more likely to knock yourself out, in the beginning. :)

When you start learning kicks it's quite common ( even for 'experts lol) to unbalance themselves and land on their bums.

Go have fun, enjoy the process, you'll be just fine.

Usually for grading purposes... it is either light contact or non contact. You likely won't get much injuries (unless you trip and fell)

I'm not going to worry about it. :D

If you're sparring with head shots and any level of power, you'll probably eventually get at least one concussion of some sort (which a knock-out is).

Ok, this seems reasonable. I used to play rugby at school, there has been a lot of stuff about concussion in rugby in the press in recent years but I never saw any when I played, you know it happens but you rarely see it. I guess the same logic would apply here?

I got fractures in my big toe and little toe on my right foot (seperate incidents.) *shrugs*

A broken foot sounds quite nasty. Does it stop you from walking?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A broken little toe, which you can do just as easily stubbing it on furniture, show you just how much you rely on it when walking! The bit I hate is when you knock it or whatever and there's a sort of pause of a moment or two then the pain hits. :)

TKD is far less dangerous than rugby, no scrums for a start lol, no rugby songs either which is a shame. :D

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
no rugby songs either which is a shame.

I never was one for singing. I have a season ticket at the Leicester Tigers and I'm quiet all through the game even now. I'm not sure how rugby songs would go down in a TKD environment. :D Seems somewhat inappropriate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never was one for singing. I have a season ticket at the Leicester Tigers and I'm quiet all through the game even now. I'm not sure how rugby songs would go down in a TKD environment. :D Seems somewhat inappropriate.

Oh you'd be surprised lol.

Latest Discussions