Striking and selfdefence with my Sifu

OP
ice84

ice84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not very likely though, since we (on Martialtalk) are scattered all over the world. But regardless, I also liked the second demo clip better. However, I'm long past the point where fast and aggressive techniques alone wow me. At my age (almost 60), speed and strength are not increasing. I'm more interested in building on concepts like efficiency, economy and practicality... stuff that can help me improve without asking for the impossible.

Oh, I forgot to mention deviousness. Deviousness and treachery are really important as you get older! ;)

Yes..but this is just only because my Sifu is an athlete too not only a teacher so he prefer showing speed and strenght etc at his age. in fact he has never done yet a tutorial video even if i have suggested more times

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
People weren't impressed with your sifu over on martial arts planet so you thought you'd try over here? The demos are nice, they probably impress people that don't know much, but they don't show much skill as far as timing and application go. Moving hands quickly against a compliant partner does not mean you can do it when a guy fights back. I'm not impressed. I've seen too many compliant "attack and freeze" demos that make the instructor look good. The movements in the video look nice and the sifu is athletic so it's plausible that he can fight but this and the other videos are not evidence of his fighting ability.

maybe this is ok for you ?
Again, compliant demo, attack and freeze. Not necessarily a bad demo, but there's no demonstration of actual ability to apply. I understand the purpose of a demo, they show how an art can potentially be applied. I also don't see why an experienced martial artist can be dazzled by them. Granted, if the techniques in the demo are far off the mark and the instructor can't pull off a technique on a compliant partner then one might assume his application is worse.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People weren't impressed with your sifu over on martial arts planet so you thought you'd try over here?

Well, in all honesty, we are a bit friendlier here. Especially to Wing Chun. Nothing against that other forum, but they are a tough sell, unless people can show that they test their stuff against resistance. Now that's not a bad thing. It's just a little different.

Again, compliant demo, attack and freeze. Not necessarily a bad demo, but there's no demonstration of actual ability to apply. I understand the purpose of a demo, they show how an art can potentially be applied. I also don't see why an experienced martial artist can be dazzled by them.

Yeah. Pretty much my take on it too.

It seems to me that Ice 84 really only posts here to promote his sifu, and not to engage in open discussion... which is what I enjoy. On the other hand, I only have a handful of students. Maybe if they would go around and promote me everywhere I'd have a few more. That would be nice. So what the heck. Ice84 -- go ahead, ...fine by me!

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, in all honesty, we are a bit friendlier here. Especially to Wing Chun. Nothing against that other forum, but they are a tough sell, unless people can show that they test their stuff against resistance. Now that's not a bad thing. It's just a little different.

Yeah. Pretty much my take on it too.

It seems to me that Ice 84 really only posts here to promote his sifu, and not to engage in open discussion... which is what I enjoy. On the other hand, I only have a handful of students. Maybe if they would go around and promote me everywhere I'd have a few more. That would be nice. So what the heck. Ice84 -- go ahead, ...fine by me!
I don't have a problem with the demo or any demo, and as long as the guy in the demo isn't a complete slacker or doing something grossly wrong. Some demos only show one aspect of an art and just because we don't see it in the demo doesn't mean the art doesn't offer it. What is more alarming to me is when people don't realize what a demo is and what it's purpose is. An experienced MAer knows it's meant to showcase and make the presenter look good, and it should be accepted as such. The problem is some newbs and non martisl artists don't know the difference. Even worse, some schools don't have much of a difference. If you don't add in some resistance or stress testing of some kind all you're doing is demo training.

OP
ice84

ice84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
People weren't impressed with your sifu over on martial arts planet so you thought you'd try over here? The demos are nice, they probably impress people that don't know much, but they don't show much skill as far as timing and application go. Moving hands quickly against a compliant partner does not mean you can do it when a guy fights back. I'm not impressed. I've seen too many compliant "attack and freeze" demos that make the instructor look good. The movements in the video look nice and the sifu is athletic so it's plausible that he can fight but this and the other videos are not evidence of his fighting ability.

Again, compliant demo, attack and freeze. Not necessarily a bad demo, but there's no demonstration of actual ability to apply. I understand the purpose of a demo, they show how an art can potentially be applied. I also don't see why an experienced martial artist can be dazzled by them. Granted, if the techniques in the demo are far off the mark and the instructor can't pull off a technique on a compliant partner then one might assume his application is worse.

My friend you have serously problem of envyi . Martial planet is ? Sorry this is my Sifu i invite you to met him you became his student 100%
No way n.1

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
My friend you have serously problem of envyi . Martial planet is ? Sorry this is my Sifu i invite you to met him you became his student 100%
No way n.1
Well than I suppose this guy just has beloved fans to promote him on all the forums. Who knows you may even be the guy in the video promoting himself?

OP
ice84

ice84

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well than I suppose this guy just has beloved fans to promote him on all the forums. Who knows you may even be the guy in the video promoting himself?

Jus reply you the last Time you Have too much envyi of my sifu this is not good for you babe. Who knows you Are one of the sifus or Gm around my sifu has destroyed mentally too? My name is Vincenzo Rega your is ???

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Who knows you Are one of the sifus or Gm around my sifu has destroyed mentally too????
Post video please? I'm training to mentally destroy my opponents too! I haven't quite figured it out yet? Sometimes I can make them cry and drool on themselves? I'm still training, but hopefully one day I can learn the complete mind destruction system? I've checked my local laws and when I reach that level. l'll definitely need to register myself as a deadly weapon with my local Police Dept.

Last edited:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Post video please? I'm training to mentally destroy my opponents too! I haven't quite figured it out yet? Sometimes I can make them cry and drool on themselves? I'm still training, but hopefully one day I can learn the complete mind destruction system? I've checked my local laws and when I reach that level. l'll definitely need to register myself as a deadly weapon with my local Police Dept.

Jake, have you studied the super secret Jedi Wing Chun? It's so secret that they were afraid to put it in the movies for fear that the forces of the dark side would learn about it and try to copy it! ;-) It features very special "Force Flow" methods known only to a select few!

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jake, have you studied the super secret Jedi Wing Chun? It's so secret that they were afraid to put it in the movies for fear that the forces of the dark side would learn about it and try to copy it! ;-) It features very special "Force Flow" methods known only to a select few!
I'm not at liberty to reveal my training or it's source online. So I just sent you a mental PM. This message will self destruct in 5 seconds. Hopefully your mind will still be in tack? Please use caution. I'd feel terrible if you were not around to post on MT anymore.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
You got it and your ok! Great! Keith, I'm letting you know I received your mental reply. And I'm ok! Whoo this is some scary stuff! I think we should stop now, and leave it to the professionals!

Last edited:

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
For a moment I was about to write a reply with a Yellow Bamboo YouTube clip but then I watched the clip, got so sad, and now I just feel it is better left alone and let thread return to its original purpose.