Stretching - how much can you get back? good program?

survivalist

White Belt
Reaction score
Last time I studied Martial Arts was about 10 years ago. Since then I have not done anything that required any significant flexibility. I'm getting back into MA.

I'm in my 40s and am wondering how much flexibility I can get back. Not that I was ever super-limber - I couldn't do the splits or anything.

I can still touch my toes. I can't get very deep in side splits.

I don't expect to be an olympic gymnast but I'm wondering how much one can recover?

Also, does anyone have a good program/book/video/series on stretching to recommend? I know basic stretches - generally I do long (well, 30-40 second) stretches of all the major body parts. But a structured guide might be helpful.

Thanks!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most people train for flexibility by doing static stretching, ie. trying to touch their chest to their leg while sitting on the floor, or any type of variation of that. The problem with that type of stretching is it doesn't mimic the movement that you are stretching for, namely kicking.

To remedy this you should practice dynamic stretching.

First exercise: swing straight leg to the front as high as you can. Hold your outstretched arms out in front for a target.

Second exercise : swing your leg out to the side stretching the inner thigh, again having your outstretched arm held out for a target.

Third exercise : looking over your right shoulder swing your right leg to the rear as high as you can, torso will be inclined forward on this stretch. (And then repeat for left side)

IMPORTANT: warm up before doing these stretches. Many people think of stretching as warming up, it's not. Run in place, do a stationary bike, jump rope, whatever to get a light sweat going and heart pumping a little, then perform these stretches. I do 3 sets of 10 of each stretch. Also don't try to go too far too fast. You may throw something out you'll want later. So progress slowly.

Then after your workout, do the old fashioned static stretching as your cool down.

Another tip. When kicking, practice slowly to bring more muscle memory into the kick instead of just relying on momentum.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last time I studied Martial Arts was about 10 years ago. Since then I have not done anything that required any significant flexibility. I'm getting back into MA.

I'm in my 40s and am wondering how much flexibility I can get back. Not that I was ever super-limber - I couldn't do the splits or anything.

I don't expect to be an olympic gymnast but I'm wondering how much one can recover?

I was never very flexible. I'm still not. But I started training MA at age 46. Now I'm 51 and I'm more limber than I was at 18. So I'd say you can probably get a lot back.

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is a question I think which is among the best I've seen on the forum. I think, in part because it's pertinent toward all people who take a break doing martial arts, and return. I've certainly found myself wondering it when I've had times when I've regressed in ability, even while continually training. It's what happens when we let apathy take a part in our ethos on the arts.

I believe, if the break is short enough, it will not have too great effect on your ability to be flexibly, given that you periodically use that flexibility. I think of my sister who has full splits due to gymnasts, and due to being active, has continue to have it. Starting at the age of 3-4 and never stopping, even today, when she is 20, probably means that she will always be able to do the splits.

Remember that our bodies build upon the foundation. If your body was manipulated into being flexible at a young enough age, what follows later in life will be built upon that. Hence why I feel it is so difficult for so many to gain flexibility, especially the later they start. Because our bodies constantly... shift in material, gaining and losing mass and matter, we change literally every 7 to 14 years. If your break extends through, or past that duration, there is a good chance your body will find it difficult to re-stretch, and regain the flexibility it had in youth.

However, I also think of a former partner, who stopped training at 12, and now 20, can still perform the splits. Being proud of her flexibility she showed it off... and never lost the ability.

I suspect it's because our bodies prefer to be shocked and utilized in bursts, than to be constantly used.

And I also think that flexibility can be over trained.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the Hapkido I learned, we began with static stretches. If one was smart, one learned to listen to more experienced students on how to start. It worked for us. We also used a series of kicks after the stretches, the first being a front kick somewhat as described by yak sao; we didn't hold our arms out front, but at the lower side. We did many kicks that required stretching, and always looked to do better as we practiced those kicks. That method sure helped me. I have just gotten back into a routine of stretching after more than ten years of not doing anything. I need help, but am surprised at how much I can still do. All I would caution about is over stretching too quickly, causing pulled muscles or ligaments.

Good luck.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some general guidelines that I've picked up. Significant stretching should not be attempted until thoroughly warmed up. Ideally when the muscles are fatigued. Warm up initially and then do light stretching. Some artists recommend saving major stretching to the end of the work out. Do not bounce the stretch, keep steady gentle pressure and hold it at mild discomfort. Some stretching is more effective if done in a dynamic fashion and may require a partner for legs. As an example for a front kick stretch, stand with your back against the wall (or stretching bar if you have one). Have a partner push your extended leg upward gradually until you reach your limit, hold at this point until you feel some relaxation. At this point push downward with your leg with as much force as you can while your partner holds it in place. This causes a reflex relaxation. Stop pressing downward and let your partner gently stretch you a little farther. You should notice that you can achieve a little more extension. Hold your leg in this new extension until you feel it begin to relax. When you release; let the leg down gradually and flex the knee and hip. Most proponents of this technique recommend using it several times a week but not daily. Do not attempt to overstretch an injured muscle. Those of us in middle age scar torn muscle tissue rather than healing as youngsters do,so each tear ends up making us more prone to further injury and reduces our flexibility. Like they say, it's hell to get old.
Best of luck.
Dennis Breene

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
After I replied to your thread, I started reading a book that appears to be the kind of reference you would find helpful. Ultimate Flexibility- A Complete Guide to Stretching For Martial Arts. Author; Sang H. Kim. Master Kim is a Korean MA with a masters in sports science. His book appears to cover flexibility and training for beginners to advanced at all ages, including the returning practitioner after a significant hiatus. I've already gotten several great tips on how to adapt my stretching. You might consider checking it out.

Also, does anyone have a good program/book/video/series on stretching to recommend? I know basic stretches - generally I do long (well, 30-40 second) stretches of all the major body parts. But a structured guide might be helpful.

Thanks!

skeksi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Something valuable I was told once, too, is to make sure you are stretching in front of a mirror to observe form. Often we end up bending in order to do the stretch we think we ought to be doing, which breaks form and makes the stretch completely useless. I do this without even realizing it so the mirror is the only way to keep myself in line!

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey survivalist, Good for you for getting back to it. I retired from MA after 35 years, about 9 years ago. I Started back with a trainer at a gym that rhymes with old and I am doing my stretches twice a week. If I was to go out and buy a book, I would look at Bill Wallace's Dynamic Stretching and Kicking. I saw some of my older students make great gains by being persistent.

Good luck.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Being another of the old guard coming out of retirement I think any advice is helpful.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Being another of the old guard coming out of retirement, I appreciate any advice I can get. I'll give his book a look.
Dennis

hechavez

White Belt
Reaction score
Some general guidelines that I've picked up. Significant stretching should not be attempted until thoroughly warmed up. Ideally when the muscles are fatigued. Warm up initially and then do light stretching. Some artists recommend saving major stretching to the end of the work out. Do not bounce the stretch, keep steady gentle pressure and hold it at mild discomfort. Some stretching is more effective if done in a dynamic fashion and may require a partner for legs. As an example for a front kick stretch, stand with your back against the wall (or stretching bar if you have one). Have a partner push your extended leg upward gradually until you reach your limit, hold at this point until you feel some relaxation. At this point push downward with your leg with as much force as you can while your partner holds it in place. This causes a reflex relaxation. Stop pressing downward and let your partner gently stretch you a little farther. You should notice that you can achieve a little more extension. Hold your leg in this new extension until you feel it begin to relax. When you release; let the leg down gradually and flex the knee and hip. Most proponents of this technique recommend using it several times a week but not daily. Do not attempt to overstretch an injured muscle. Those of us in middle age scar torn muscle tissue rather than healing as youngsters do,so each tear ends up making us more prone to further injury and reduces our flexibility. Like they say, it's hell to get old.
Best of luck.
Dennis Breene

I am 62 years old with Latico-Bodig and Lou Gehrig's diseases. I have been lifting weights for over 30 years, been a martial artist most of my life. I am a Baha'i by faith. I have taken Pangasinan Eskrima and Eskrima Serrada for several years. Recently I have been taking Choy Li Fut for a year and earned a purple sash. I have been taking Tai Chi Chuan Yang for six months and my balance and my chi (life force) is very strong is has generated very strong endocannabinoids which have restored my motor neurons. I have earned a blue sash in Tai Chi Chuan Yang. Doing the 8 jeweled Qi Gong techniques aids tremendously in stretching back of legs; back of calves, ankles, and feet; neck; arms; waist and back; latissimus doral and deltoid muscles; and biceps muscles. We do this Qi Gong exercise before we do Tai Chi walking and forms. For Kung Fu, I do Qi Gong and practice kicks and horse stance with punches. My neurologist says I'm stronger than the noraml person even with my ALS. I hope this information can be of help.

Latest Discussions