Strangest calls...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
During the anthrax scare a 8” x 8” Package arrives for a commissioner of a state office it is covered with Arabic writing and Muslim symbols that everyone is afraid to touch so they put it on my desk and then immediately run back to their office and call the Bomb squad without any word to me other than “HERE”. The bomb squad arrives opens it to find a VHS tape that was of a guy spouting threats against said commissioner…. He left a return address on the tape.

During that same time a call from a state office mailroom that there is white powder spread all over and they want it checked it could be anthrax….. turns out that if you work in a mailroom that envelopes are great at producing white dust after a few years…it had been there for years and they did not notice it until after the anthrax scare started.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a new female officer at one of the neighboring PD's in our county. Her dad was a retired city officer and she had worked in our jail for a shorttime before leaving "to go to a real department". Anyway, one day she calls in a bomb and has the road shut down both ways to create a perimeter to get it checked out. It was one of the MDOT traffic counter devices that they chain to a sign and have the rubber rose running across to count cars etc. (she was let go shortly after that and is no longer in LE).

Recently, our dispatch center just split into two locations and divided how calls are routed. MANY people were not happy with that since some calls took a long time to be rerouted to the appropriate center. A plain brown package all taped up is left by a door with no markings on it at all to the new dispatch center. Fearing a REALLY unhappy citizen, they take precautions and evacuate the new center and send in the bomb squad to investigate. They open the package and find out that they are the new crisis management plans that were to be delivered! LOL talk about ironic.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
That`s a wierd law. When I went through EMT training we were told again and again that if someone refused treatment all you could do was wait around for them to pass out and then proceed on "implied consent". It was drummed into us that treating someone against thier will was considered assault in Ohio.

Rabies and a couple of other things can earn you involuntary treatment because if you get it you can infect other people and it is not a pretty death. This is kinda like how smallpox inoculation was mandatory in several European countries until some time ago.

There are probably some other scenarios, but this is really no different than being committed. Only difference is you're not having mental issues but physical ones: you carry a deadly and infectious disease.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then there was the lady who regularly called the station to say that someone was on here property..Responding officers never found anyone and were treated to a 5-10 min story about how her children were pumping poison gas into here bedroom to kill her so they could take her land..

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many moons ago, I was a deputy sheriff. I started out in Communications.

We had a regular caller, a little old lady who wasn't all there. The aliens would land on her roof and then come down and pull the weeds up out of her flowerbed and eat them. She didn't mind that, but she objected to the ray that they shined on her house that was causing the bricks to fall out.

One of the other dispatchers told her to wrap her house with aluminum foil; it would reflect the ray back on them. About 4 hours later, the deputy who patrolled that district happened to drive by her house and called us on the phone dying with laughter.

Yep. She had wrapped her house in foil. Must have worked because she didn't call us any more after that.

Bikewr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The delusions about being poisoned or gassed seem to be very common. Way back when I was working in communications, we had a local woman who would come to the police station every Saturday to fill up a large container with water.
The evil folks couldn't have gotten the police department's water, could they?
Our lieutenant at the time got tired of this , and waited near the front desk one Saturday with a glass of water.
As the dear lady walked in with her bucket, he made a point of taking a long swig. Then, he grabbed his throat and choked out...."They got ours too!"

She never returned.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The delusions about being poisoned or gassed seem to be very common. Way back when I was working in communications, we had a local woman who would come to the police station every Saturday to fill up a large container with water.
The evil folks couldn't have gotten the police department's water, could they?
Our lieutenant at the time got tired of this , and waited near the front desk one Saturday with a glass of water.
As the dear lady walked in with her bucket, he made a point of taking a long swig. Then, he grabbed his throat and choked out...."They got ours too!"

She never returned.
My dad worked for the federal government, and was stationed overseas, at an embassy. One day, a woman comes into the embassy, and is overjoyed to finally be drinking "American water" again. (This was before the bottled water era...) I don't think anyone was willing to explain to her that the water from the taps in the embassy came from the same municipal supply as everyone else on the street...

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
This thread is hillarious!

I have a cousin who is a bit paranoid and get these strange ideas now and then. For instance when she saw that there were some cables running under a bridge in the neighborhood, she naturally concluded that the power company was using these to "steal her electricity".

Also, she figured out that some of the containers that come in at the docks are full of dead bodies. Asassinated victims of the italian mob to be precice. The local farmers then grind up the bodies and use them as fertilizer for their fields.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Had a guy tell me he was Jesus now that happens every now and then but this guy was good. I asked his name he told me Jesus and I asked his date of birth (now heres where I thought I had him until he answered me) he said Dec 25th. I said ok what year he came back with ZERO.

Then there was the lady that said she had ghosts in her walls and called every night almost. So one night I took the taser out and told her it was an anti-ghost ray and set the taser off near all the walls in her house and told her they were all gone she never called again.

Had a lady call because the airplanes were to loud when they flew over her house.

And Ill never forget the Anthrax and the DC sniper calls. We must have stopped every white van and box truck in the tri state area.