Job Troubles

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Ladies and Gentlemen, i think I'm finally at that point.

I think I finally hate my job enough that all I want is to be rid of it.

And you can tell this is so because this is not a new thought to me: I haven't been "happy"(inasmuch as anyone ever IS "happy" at work) for the last 3 years and have started to dream about quitting at least twice weekly over the last 4-5 months.

In point of fact I was at my friend's place just last Sunday night and i had to do a double take when she suddenly asked me in a concerned tone if I was OK, since she said I suddenly got this very crestfallen look about me for a moment( I was in the midst of packing up the stuff I'd brought and was preparing to go home). And you know what? I had to think about it for a few seconds but she was right. The idea of going back to work, back to that place, had become *that* hateful to me.

Why? Crack open a beer and let Uncle Andy tell you a story.

It didn't used to be that I realistically could be said to do "too much work" for one guy. But it has over the last three years reached that point. My job is in the Returns department of the distribution center in which I work which deals in clothing. My job is to take in, every day, all of the returns that come in either by the Post Office or by this new thing we've been doing the last 3 years called a "SmartLabel" which is handled by a seperate logistics company and saves the customer money.

No big deal, right? Didn't used to be. Except for one small thing. 2 summers ago we bought out a competitor down South and I been ever since getting to deal with THEIR returns too.

It is my job to THEN open them up, and put them all on the processing lines so the processors can do the refunding/credit thing and get them back into inventory. I also must keep them supplied with the materials they need( clothing bags, post office returns, FedEx returns, empty their trash all the while moving this crap around and throwing away the empty gaylords too( a "gaylord" is a 4x4x4 box mounted on a pallet which my returns come in.) the most we can do in a day is about 20 WITH a full crew( which is only Tue-Wed-Thu) IF we're lucky, since the last month or two i'm lucky if I get ONE DAY a week I get less than 20 in, with the average being 26( a full 53 footer) I'll let you do the math.

And the department is spread out enough that I walk a little less than a marathon every censored day just to keep up. And a predominant amount of that little less than a marathon is spent hauling a pallet behind me. And now they want to add another floor in ther other building and grow and all that but have decided in their infinite wisdom to use MY whole receiving dock as the staging area for the materials and there's that much less room I have to get the censored things in.

I had help for this last summer but that person decided he wanted a different job in the dept( smart man). I wouldda done it too except I knew they'd never let me off this job. So since then I've been stuck with a temp, and to be fair he's very conscientious and very rare as temps go, very willing to learn, and speaks English understandably, pleasant to get along with, and causes no problems. But that's not a permanent solution.

On top of this my first hour of my shift each morning is spent cleaning night shift's mess and refilling the processing lines they left empty. The guy in charge of processing nights then yesterday has the temerity to tell ME "Uh, hey Andy, I gotta get this moved right now..." and just drop everything I'm in the middle of when he wass here during his day portion of his shift. This is irresponsible and I take this as a point blank display of disrespect to me.

Ok, so these conditions I've been trying to shoulder and deal with but they've been my "strike one" for some while now.

So I try to remain positive about it and I think to myself "Cheer up! It could be worse!" :D

So I cheered up. :D

And it got worse. :D

So we fast forward to where I Just had my review tuesday and got my whole 30 cent raise(Sure! But The fact the company is all blowing their horn over growing and growing and buying out a SECOND competitor and opening stores all across the state and attracting investors and doing all super amazing frankly isn't much interest to me till the employees start seeing some of it, and when you started working at a place at $8.50/hour SIX CENSORED YEARS AGO and you only just now cracked just over $2 more than that---you don't owe them any more of your time--strike TWO).

During this review I make it a point to ask , in more polite terms, when am I gonna get some *Y&^%^in' backup here, and am told, up front, by my supervisor( who all things aside really is one of the best bosses I've ever had and does the best she can for me given the rules she has to follow, but her hands are tied on this from higher up), that they won't let her hire another returns material handler right now until they're "convinced" of a need for it.

Grim enough news on its own were it not for the fact I've known for a month or so now that we bought out a second competitor and now thats just THAT many more returns my workload will consist of. This I am apparently expected to once again handle by myself with the occasional temp.

Piss on THAT. Strike three.

You see, as it is now, I'm not what anyone might consider "old" but am getting near the point( 29 this April) where I begins to grow more difficult to do a physical job day in, day out and be all duct taped back together by next morning. With increasing frequency I come home from work and have difficulty walking without ankle pain or stiffness the rest of the day, and end up much of the time( too much, now) simply crashing and sleeping the whole rest of the day through just to be rested enough to get back up and do it again.

While this is happening I do not work out, I do not get to all of my Martial arts training and therefore do not lose weight and get out of the prediabetic zone. I do not get scriptwriting done, and otherwise get nowhere, in at least some part because of my job.

And as of yesterday's paper there are no ads to answer.

I will try again today. A friend's father told me of an opportunity at a local Home Depot( much the same thing I do now but with more power equipment and no customers, and more $$$, only thing that stopped me was the hours were 930 PM-6 AM---by this point I frankly don't care. I'll just have to take the Fri-Sat morning class is all).

Failing that, If I truly am at the end of my endurance to the point I must give my notice without something lined up, between transferring the money in my credit union account to my bank account and selling my last sidearm( ouch) I can lay hands on about $2K if needs must.

I'm off now to start pounding pavement( told em I was sick, and, in a way, i am).

Throw the whole keg in the cooler for me, come time I get back tonight I'm gonna need it BAD.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been there Andy, and am still there..In my past I have quit more jobs than I can remember.. I worked at "day labor" places to keep a small positive income, not much but it was cigarette and gas money..You could ALWAYS look into private security ( ducks) the bigger companies have benefits packages and paid training...Now it's not a lot of money but the physical requirments are none with the exception of walking...Look into the night shift...

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
From one Andy to another... I feel you, Brother!

After running my Locksmithing business into the ground... I had to start looking for a job after almost 5-years of working for myself.

Every day, the newspaper seemed like more of a waste of money and ink that anything else…

Right now... I'm working a $10/hr job that doesn't even give me 40-hours a week... and, even though I enjoy working there, I'm starting to realize that I must move on to something better for a FT job... and keep this one as a add-on...

Not an easy set of circumstances for someone looking at 40 in a few months...

Now, after having separated from my Wife as of this past Monday... and with a divorce now looming in my future... things just seem more messed up than ever...

So, like you, I’m looking to move on. With some luck… I’ll be in the I.B.E.W. by the start of the second-quarter of 2007..

As John Wayne said in Green Beret, “God willin’… and the river don’t rise!”…

Hang in there, Brother!

You'll find something eventually... so, try your best to stay positive...

At least you have some financial resources to fall back on if needed...

You're in my thoughts...

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy, you're caught in a horrible catch-22 - unless you prove (by doing your job badly) that they need to hire another person, the won't... and if you prove it by doing your job badly, they'll hire another person to replace you... Starting to look sounds like a great start. If I were you, I'd apply for the job at Home Depot, and then if the hours don't suit you, keep looking - but at least you wouldn't be in a place that takes such advantage of you. Good luck!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been in my current job for 6 or 7 years. For much of that time I constantly felt like I was under an avalanche of work with no help and no end in sight. This went on for years, and I watched the pile get higher. It caused me stress, and I actually would wake up at night in a panic.

I'm still in the job, but the work pile has actually shrunk and slowed down. So for now it's bearable even tho I still don't like the work. I'm working on my escape route, but for now I need to keep the job.

I'm just saying, I know how you feel, it makes us crazy and depressed. Stay strong, and look for the escape route.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A job is a finely balanced equation.
You do a whole bunch of **** for them, that you normally wouldn't do ...

They give you a whole bunch of money, they normally wouldn't give you.
If you find yourself out of balance on that equation, do something. Don't let inertia do it for you.

Andy, when you said the company wouldn't give you the other job because they wouldn't let you out of the job you are doing now .... you have to ask yourself why you believe that? And if you do believe it, why would you still want to work for these people.

Sit down with your boss and ask for an action plan to a) get more money or b) get a different job. The worst thing that can happen is they say, No we can't. Then you can go find a different job with a clear conscience. The best thing that can happen is they give you more money or a different job or both.

But, you really can't ***** about being a receiving clerk and only recieving $X.00 amount of dollars - that is what the market for receive clerks will bear. If you need to make more than X dollars, you got to find a different job, either with the company or without the company. Finding the same job in another company is going to pay the same amount of money - unless there is a shift differential, as you describe at Home Depot.

Much like your black belt --- no body is going to just give you what you want. You set and achieved short term goals, moving through yellow and orange and blue belts.

What is the short term and long term goal at your job? What steps do you need to take to achieve those goals?

Just change the name at the top of the paycheck is not going to make your life any better. If you want to have a rewarding job, you must ennumerate those items that will reward you, and then go about getting them. And that is accomplished by a through sit down with your boss. Set goals and expectations. Create an action plan to execute. Measure the results. Simple. Just like earning a black belt.

Of course, this could be a great opportunity to move to Montana. Seems you have wanted to get out of Massachusetts for quite some time, eh?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Of course, this could be a great opportunity to move to Montana. Seems you have wanted to get out of Massachusetts for quite some time, eh?

Funny, I was wondering if he would consider working in the Wyoming oilfields as a roughneck, where if you can pass a pee test you would start at $16-$20 and it goes up from there. You would have to be willing to work ridiculously long hours (paid overtime) and be willing to deal with some slightly cool weather (last night was negative 15). He might hate this job too, but at least he'd be making about five times as much.

Oh yeah and given Andy's prediliction for things that go bang, Wyoming is just slightly more permissive than MA on gun laws (open carry). :D

Lamont

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny, I was wondering if he would consider working in the Wyoming oilfields as a roughneck, where if you can pass a pee test you would start at $16-$20 and it goes up from there. You would have to be willing to work ridiculously long hours (paid overtime) and be willing to deal with some slightly cool weather (last night was negative 15). He might hate this job too, but at least he'd be making about five times as much.

Oh yeah, and Wyoming is just slightly more permissive than MA on gun laws (open carry). :D

Lamont

Where were these kind of jobs when I was single...Sorry off topic..

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I was where you are at, at one time in my life then I decided to do something about it and started my own business, have'nt looked back since. I would look into starting something that you enjoy and apply for a grant to get the ball rolling or else it will always be like this one way or another.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy, you're caught in a horrible catch-22 - unless you prove (by doing your job badly) that they need to hire another person, the won't... and if you prove it by doing your job badly, they'll hire another person to replace you... Starting to look sounds like a great start. If I were you, I'd apply for the job at Home Depot, and then if the hours don't suit you, keep looking - but at least you wouldn't be in a place that takes such advantage of you. Good luck!

Terry said:
Well I was where you are at, at one time in my life then I decided to do something about it and started my own business, have'nt looked back since. I would look into starting something that you enjoy and apply for a grant to get the ball rolling or else it will always be like this one way or another.

Andy,

I'm with both Kacey and Terry on this. Sounds to me like you need a better day job where they aren't trying to squeeze blood out of you, while you look around for an even better gig that, as Terry says, might make better use of all your skills. If you orient your training to getting into MA in a way that could supplement your income significantly, I have a feeling the world will, in a few year's time, start looking a hell of a lot rosier. And at 28, time is definitely on your side... why not take advantage of that?

Latest Discussions