What is the strangest, or funniest, thing you've seen in the outdoors?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the funniest things I ever saw happened on Spitzbergen last year (see photos in my album) where I and my friends were driving to this ice-locked ship in the Temple Fjord where they among other things serve food. On the way there we pass by an area where hundereds of seals are lying on the ice enjoying the sun next to their escape holes. Of course we tried to get closer for saying hello and taking some pictures but they would bounce their fat bodies up in the air and dive vertically into the hole when they thought they were in danger. Next to one hole I approached were two particularily fat ones, each probably twice the size of some of the other seals. At the exact same moment both decided that the silly human on on a snowmobile was close enough, tried to get into the same hole and smacked together in the air (both tails in the air, head straight downdards) so hard I could hear it over my engine over ten meters away. Both went flying landed in a mess and slid quite a distance before they regained their senses. Nearly fell off my snowmobile laughing :D

img-0859.17961

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Worse than that, we are in Catterick Garrison, it was up on the training area lol. The poor sheep spend their time dodging tanks and recruits. The farmers get crafty though they claim off the MOD for sheep they say they have lost when they haven't. We have a few farmers who are tenants of the MOD which owns vast amounts of land up here they even own a pub and several houses. The sheep up here are as tough as old boots, they stay out in winter and outside too. No namby pamby southern sheep them lol, the rams are known to attack and actually kill, a farmer died a couple of years ago up the Dales after his ram attacked him.

Yep those rams are dangerous and you must treat them with a firm hand. Here is one from northern Norway about to be shorn.
(Pic from the 2015 farmer`s calendar in Skånland county, I imagine Tez will want one)

Nakenkalender1.jpg