Still voting for Obama?

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I will vote for Mr. Obama - of what is available, I believe that he is best for the nation.

There are may things about his first term that have disappointed me. Amoung them are Gitmo, drone assassinations of Americans. I am not yet sure if I should be unhappy with the administration's response to any intelligence that indicated Benghazi, because I do not really have a clear idea of what they knew, when, and what responses were available to State, given the the $500 million dollar security budget cut the House GOP imposed on that Department; the budget that pays for security teams, building embassies, etc. I also do not know if I believe that Medicare for All is a much superior solution to nationalized Romneycare, but recognize that his general method of consensus building meant that to get a large thing done, he would have to start with a Republican idea and modify it to be useful. I wish we were entirely withdrawn from Afghanistan and Iraq.

However, I approve of his (Keynesian) responses to the economic disaster that he inherited. Without it, the company I work for would be a corpse. I approve of his general foreign policy. I approve, and strongly, of the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I approve, and strongly, of the choice to abandon the defense of DOMA. I approve of the subsidization of smart, green energy initiatives, even knowing that the grand majority of them will fail. There is absolutely no single larger issue in the next century than weaning our world from fossil fuels; this addresses our food, our water, our health, our security, our lifestyle. I approve of his support of reproductive freedom and choice. I approve of his support of the LGBT community; even if some of it was later in coming, and hope that it is real. I approve of raising certain taxes; though I believe that they can be better targeted. Our nation's government is in a serious income slump, rather than an expenditure spike; and the general shrinkage of the government in the form of police, firemen, teachers, over the last four years is harming our nation in general and my family in specific.

I cannot approve of Mr. Johnson's economic policies. In this day and hour, they would be suicide for the nation. They betray a deep misunderstanding of the engine of the capitalist cycle, and are akin to transplanting a heart backwards; the veins of the body cannot bear to become the supply vessels, and the arteries cannot support the return of blood; in the same manner, a recession of demand cannot be met by adding capital, but must be met by adding demand. His foreign policy is also dangerously short sighted, and does not do a good job of looking out for our interests as a part of a greater community.

Dr. Stein carries many good things too far, until they become bad things. For example, It is right to expect that those who profit in greater proportion from the nation, it's peoples, and its resources should return that investment in greater proportion; it is not right to impose an income cap. If the election cycle was looser, and voter intimidation was not so high in my home state, I might consider voting for her as a leftist protest vote, but that would have little effect on the actions of Mr. Obama.

Wee Willy Romney, meanwhile, compounds Mr. Johnson's economic issues by being awful on social issues, awful on foreign policy and personally greedy to boot. He has stocked his personal treasury by destroying the jobs and eliminating the pensions of tens of thousands of Americans, by taking out massive loans and twisting corporate law to stick others with the bill. He has personally and directly increased the total private and public debt held in America by outsourcing production to Asia. He has already proven himself incapable of handling our allies, let alone our enemies, via his foreign tour, and has gathered about himself neoconservative advisors; even if there are other advisors, that he would even consider such disastrous policies again disqualifies him as presidential. His misgovernnance of Massachusettes proves that he is not capable of working with the Democratic party, nor capable of recognizing the return on infrastructure. He appears to see our societal safety nets and educational systems as opportunities for personal and corporate profit, rather than programs made with the intent of easing suffering, providing opportunity and fulfilling the social contract. He is dead wrong in terms of both freedom and humanity when it comes to LGBT issues, reproductive freedom, immigration, and equality of employment. He is awful for our nation, and Paul Ryan is worse.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cdunn, maybe this will ease your feelings on green energy a little bit. Of the green companies recieving government money to assist with research, only 8% have failed (no, not the %50 cited in a debate by a fact free Romney). I am positive there will be further failures, as that is the nature of capitalism and new technology, but fortunately I do not think it will be a majority in the near future. So hopefully, those companies will help with the economy and finding solutions to our dependance upon fossil fuels.

It looks like you have put a lot of thought into where your vote will go. I wish more people would do the same, no matter where that vote finally settled.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will vote for Mr. Obama - of what is available, I believe that he is best for the nation.

There are may things about his first term that have disappointed me. Amoung them are Gitmo, drone assassinations of Americans. I am not yet sure if I should be unhappy with the administration's response to any intelligence that indicated Benghazi, because I do not really have a clear idea of what they knew, when, and what responses were available to State, given the the $500 million dollar security budget cut the House GOP imposed on that Department; the budget that pays for security teams, building embassies, etc. I also do not know if I believe that Medicare for All is a much superior solution to nationalized Romneycare, but recognize that his general method of consensus building meant that to get a large thing done, he would have to start with a Republican idea and modify it to be useful. I wish we were entirely withdrawn from Afghanistan and Iraq.

However, I approve of his (Keynesian) responses to the economic disaster that he inherited. Without it, the company I work for would be a corpse. I approve of his general foreign policy. I approve, and strongly, of the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I approve, and strongly, of the choice to abandon the defense of DOMA. I approve of the subsidization of smart, green energy initiatives, even knowing that the grand majority of them will fail. There is absolutely no single larger issue in the next century than weaning our world from fossil fuels; this addresses our food, our water, our health, our security, our lifestyle. I approve of his support of reproductive freedom and choice. I approve of his support of the LGBT community; even if some of it was later in coming, and hope that it is real. I approve of raising certain taxes; though I believe that they can be better targeted. Our nation's government is in a serious income slump, rather than an expenditure spike; and the general shrinkage of the government in the form of police, firemen, teachers, over the last four years is harming our nation in general and my family in specific.

I cannot approve of Mr. Johnson's economic policies. In this day and hour, they would be suicide for the nation. They betray a deep misunderstanding of the engine of the capitalist cycle, and are akin to transplanting a heart backwards; the veins of the body cannot bear to become the supply vessels, and the arteries cannot support the return of blood; in the same manner, a recession of demand cannot be met by adding capital, but must be met by adding demand. His foreign policy is also dangerously short sighted, and does not do a good job of looking out for our interests as a part of a greater community.

Dr. Stein carries many good things too far, until they become bad things. For example, It is right to expect that those who profit in greater proportion from the nation, it's peoples, and its resources should return that investment in greater proportion; it is not right to impose an income cap. If the election cycle was looser, and voter intimidation was not so high in my home state, I might consider voting for her as a leftist protest vote, but that would have little effect on the actions of Mr. Obama.

Wee Willy Romney, meanwhile, compounds Mr. Johnson's economic issues by being awful on social issues, awful on foreign policy and personally greedy to boot. He has stocked his personal treasury by destroying the jobs and eliminating the pensions of tens of thousands of Americans, by taking out massive loans and twisting corporate law to stick others with the bill. He has personally and directly increased the total private and public debt held in America by outsourcing production to Asia. He has already proven himself incapable of handling our allies, let alone our enemies, via his foreign tour, and has gathered about himself neoconservative advisors; even if there are other advisors, that he would even consider such disastrous policies again disqualifies him as presidential. His misgovernnance of Massachusettes proves that he is not capable of working with the Democratic party, nor capable of recognizing the return on infrastructure. He appears to see our societal safety nets and educational systems as opportunities for personal and corporate profit, rather than programs made with the intent of easing suffering, providing opportunity and fulfilling the social contract. He is dead wrong in terms of both freedom and humanity when it comes to LGBT issues, reproductive freedom, immigration, and equality of employment. He is awful for our nation, and Paul Ryan is worse.

Your statement in red carries very good common sense in the realization of wasting your vote. Why so many people are choosing to not vote or waste a vote on a person that will change nothing when so much is at stake or at risk is totally beyond me?

Your second statement in Blue is spot on in describing Romney and could not say it better with using much ###### what escapes me is beyond all this he is a serial liar who will say anything to anyone or group if he thinks it will gain him a vote he will not even admit to lying when it is put in print or video to his face if all else fails just don't answer or change the subject. Take away all the differences between Republican and Democrat and just go down to basics telling the truth and being trustworthy how can any rational person choose to vote for him? they are not rational they are voting for other reason's hate race greed nothing positive I can think of and many against thier own self best intererst? Romney cannot be trusted to do anything but hand over what is left of our government to the corporations and special interest.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An editorial on why obama needs to go...

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/benghazi-blunder-obama-unworthy-commander-in-chief-176736441.html

EDITORIAL

Benghazi blunder: Obama unworthy commander-in-chief
This administration is an embarrassment on foreign policy and incompetent at best on the economy - though a more careful analysis shows what can only be a perverse and willful attempt to destroy our prosperity. Back in January 2008, Barack Obama told the editorial board of the San Francisco Chronicle that under his cap-and-trade plan, "If somebody wants to build a coal-fired power plant, they can. It's just that it will bankrupt them." He added, "Under my plan ... electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket." It was also in 2008 that Mr. Obama's future Energy Secretary, Steven Chu, famously said it would be necessary to "figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe" - $9 a gallon.
Yet the president now claims he's in favor of oil development and pipelines, taking credit for increased oil production on private lands where he's powerless to block it, after he halted the Keystone XL Pipeline and oversaw a 50 percent reduction in oil leases on public lands.
These behaviors go far beyond "spin." They amount to a pack of lies. To return to office a narcissistic amateur who seeks to ride this nation's economy and international esteem to oblivion, like Slim Pickens riding the nuclear bomb to its target at the end of the movie "Dr. Strangelove," would be disastrous.
Candidate Obama said if he couldn't fix the economy in four years, his would be a one-term presidency.
Mitt Romney is moral, capable and responsible man. Just this once, it's time to hold Barack Obama to his word. Maybe we can all do something about that, come Tuesday.

As to saving pensions...not if you had one through Delphi...

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/23/business/la-fi-gm-bailout-review-20110623

The administration gave union employees of auto parts supplier Delphi Corp. preferential treatment over nonunion, salaried employees when the U.S. took over Delphi's pension plan, GOP representatives say.

June 23, 2011|By Andrew Seidman, Los Angeles Times

The government took over Delphi's pension plan during the company's reorganization in Bankruptcy Court. Roughly 21,000 salaried employees lost up to 70% of their pensions, as well as life and health insurance.

Even union representatives have sided with the nonunion employees. Ron Gettelfinger, former president of UAW, has said that the government's actions constituted a "grave injustice."

And yes, obama targeted the Delphi employee pensions...

http://dailycaller.com/2011/06/22/p...ng-non-union-worker-pensions-post-gm-bailout/

New emails obtained by The Daily Caller contradict claims by the Obama administration that
the Treasury Department
would avoid “intervening in the day-to-day management” of General Motors post-auto bailout.

These messages reveal that Treasury officials were involved in decision-making that led to more than 20,000 non-union workers losing their
pensions
. (General Motors not eager to be political talking point in 2012)

Republican Reps. Dan Burton and Mike Turner say that during the GM bailout,
Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner
decided to cut pensions for salaried non-union employees at Delphi, a GM spinoff, to expedite GM’s emergence from bankruptcy.

The key point of the Wednesday hearing was to show that the Obama administration advised GM on how to eliminate the Delphi workers’ pensions. The evidence suggests Geithner’s team played a significant role in that process, despite claims to the contrary.

Obama is not a "nice," guy...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...Them-To-The-Wolves-In-Stunning-Abuse-Of-Power

As the pensions of Delphi retirees were being slashed, the Obama administration was topping off the pensions of union workers with taxpayer-funded bailout funds.

“When the president talks about protecting the middle class, protecting health care and protecting pensions, he not only let you down, he showed what he really means,” Turner said. “You had just as much rights as everyone else. Your pensions were protected by contracts, by assets and by the laws of this country. The fact that your pensions were taken in a back-door deal in the White House is absolutely wrong.
“The fact that Tim Geithner was on every side of this deal, that conflicts of interest were raging and the fact that you were put on the table and someone made a deal with your pensions is wrong and we’re going to get those pensions back.”
The Obama administration’s treatment of Delphi’s retirees represents another instance of crony capitalism and “Chicago-style” politics that puts unions and other administration allies above all else. It also undermines the administration’s claims that it is on the side of the middle class and the GM bailout was a roaring success.

Last edited:

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As to economics and obama...and the keynesian delusion...

http://townhall.com/columnists/walterewilliams/2012/10/03/trickle_down_and_tax_cuts

Dr. Thomas Sowell's "'Trickle Down Theory' and 'Tax Cuts for the Rich'" has just been published by the Hoover Institution. Having read this short paper, the conclusion you must reach is that the term "trickle down theory" is simply a tool of charlatans and political hustlers.
President Barack Obama recently criticized Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan for trying to sell a tax plan, which he called "trickledown snake oil." Criticizing tax cuts as trickle down is a way not to confront the argument; however, there's empirical evidence about the effects of tax cuts. Sowell shows that during the Warren Harding administration, in 1921, Secretary of the Treasury Andrew Mellon advocated tax rate cuts, which were enacted into law by Congress. Afterward, there was rising output; unemployment plummeted; and the resulting higher income produced greater federal tax revenues, even though the tax rate had been lowered. There were somewhat similar results in later years after high tax rates were cut during the John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush administrations.The facts about the 1920s tax rate cuts are unmistakably clear for those who bother to check the facts. In 1921, when the tax rate on people earning more than $100,000 a year was 73 percent, the federal government collected a little more than $700 million in income taxes, of which 30 percent was paid by those earning more than $100,000. By 1929, after the tax rate had been cut to 24 percent on incomes higher than $100,000, the federal government collected more than $1 billion in income taxes, of which 65 percent was collected from those with incomes higher than $100,000.

In 1962, Democratic President John F. Kennedy pointed out that "it is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high today and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now." Both Presidents Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush made similar arguments, and the tax rate cuts had the effect of stimulating economic growth while increasing federal tax revenue and shifting a greater percentage of the tax burden on to wealthier individuals.One very insightful part of Sowell's paper is the discussion about what Mellon called the "gesture of taxing the rich" -- namely, tax-exempt securities that he tried unsuccessfully to put an end to. Tax-exempt securities and other tax breaks are valuable tools in the politics of class warfare and envy. Politicians have it both ways. They get votes by raising taxes on the wealthy -- or threatening to do so -- and at the same time provide the wealthy with a way out of high taxes through tax-exempt securities. This explains how President Obama can raise tens of millions of dollars in campaign contributions from Hollywood millionaires and Wall Street's rich and powerful. "Tax cuts for the rich" demagoguery is simply the height of deceit perpetrated on the gullible people and useful idiots.You can bet that the White House has people reading every bit of the news, including this column and Dr. Sowell's article.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No way in hell I am voting for Osama.

I would rather take my chances on someone else no matter who they were.

4 more years of Osama and we will be completely socialist country. we will have the government telling us what we can eat and how to live. not to mention 75% of people depending on the government for everything while the remaining 25% try to support thier worthless A$$es.

you want to see an Osama America after 4 more years? take a good look at what he did to chicago.... nice job O.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

4 more years of Osama and we will be completely socialist country. we will have the government telling us what we can eat and how to live. not to mention 75% of people depending on the government for everything while the remaining 25% try to support thier worthless A$$es.

you want to see an Osama America after 4 more years? take a good look at what he did to chicago.... nice job O.
There is no Osama on the Ballot; so, no worries. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

so given your little "Obama/Osama" issue, are you one of those people who think Obama is a secret Muslim, and not an American Citizen?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't hate Romny. I don't think he is a bad person, and definitely not a "nice" guy. You are known by the company you keep, and he has kept company with the top 1% rich guys of the worst sort, but I think that is mainly because he was raised by anti-liberal types from the time he was a little boy. It wasn't his fault really, but that doesn't change the fact that he needs to be kept out of the whitehouse with all cost.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
in every way conceivable, Obama and Biden while not perfect, are far far far far far more capable than Romney and Ryan.

Yup. The problems here are partially Bush's doing and partially a global problem no one country could've stopped from happening.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup. The problems here are partially Bush's doing and partially a global problem no one country could've stopped from happening.

People don't seem to understand. Bush didn't just kill our economy. He "set the ball in motion" for the whole world. No republican could of pulled us out of this mess.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are may things about his first term that have disappointed me. Amoung them ... drone assassinations of Americans.

And yet somehow that's not bad enough to cost him our votes.

I want you on the Jury for my Murder Trial. Seriously. People SCREAMED for Zimmerman's head, but wanna give Obama a Job.

What the heck is wrong with you people? That could be your wife, kid, brother, father, getting assassinated. After all, we do now, thanks to this man, live in a "combat zone" any one of us could be labeled an "Enemy Combatant" and killed or imprisoned indefinitely. Oh no of course not, "It could never happen to me. I'm a good law abiding citizen."

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, Carter and Clinton set that ball in motion, and Barney frank and chris dodd protected that ball and kept people, like Bush, from stopping it.

http://cnsnews.com/node/43799

Why didn’t the Bush administration sound the alarm on the unstable housing market that began to unravel on his watch?

Fox News’s Bill O’Reilly asked former White House adviser Karl Rove that question on Wednesday’s “O’Reilly Factor.”

“You left the Bush administration 15 months before the president did,” O’Reilly said to Rove. “While you were there at the end, was there any inkling, did you have any idea that the underpinnings of the economy were eroding so seriously?”

Rove responded, “Well, there was concern about it, particularly in the housing area, we were briefed as far back as 2001 about the problems with Fannie and Freddie; in fact, we moved aggressively in 2004 to regulate Fannie and Freddie, actually got a bill through the Senate Banking and Finance Committee only to have it filibustered by [Sen.] Chris Dodd.”

Rove said Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac “accelerated their imprudent behavior after we attempted to regulate them. They bought almost as much mortgage debt from 2005 through 2008” as they bought in their first 30 years of their existence.

A Google search brings up the following Sept. 11, 2003 New York Timesarticle, which shows the Bush administration was aware of potential lending problems and did try to do something about it:

The Bush administration today recommended the most significant regulatory overhaul in the housing finance industry since the savings and loan crisis a decade ago.

Under the plan, disclosed at a Congressional hearing today, a new agency would be created within the Treasury Department to assume supervision of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the government-sponsored companies that are the two largest players in the mortgage lending industry.

The new agency would have the authority, which now rests with Congress, to set one of the two capital-reserve requirements for the companies. It would exercise authority over any new lines of business. And it would determine whether the two are adequately managing the risks of their ballooning portfolios.

The plan is an acknowledgment by the administration that oversight of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- which together have issued more than $1.5 trillion in outstanding debt -- is broken. A report by outside investigators in July concluded that Freddie Mac manipulated its accounting to mislead investors, and critics have said Fannie Mae does not adequately hedge against rising interest rates.

Rove told O’Reilly on Thursday that Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) was among those in Congress who attacked the proposed reform of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

“In fact, in 2003, when we sent our first members of the Cabinet up to talk about this on Capitol Hill, Barney Frank had a hearing in which they basically beat up everybody we sent up there in pretty vociferous language. This is the famous hearing where one of the Democratic members literally says that he is ‘pissed off’ that the administration is even raising this issue,” Rove said.

Rep. Gregory Meeks, a New York Democrat, said at that Sept. 25, 2003 House Financial Services Committee hearing that he was “pissed off at OFHEO (Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight),” because of the agency’s suggestion that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac should be regulated more closely. A number of other Democrats agreed there was no need for reform.

Yes, once again, look close enough and you will see democrat fingerprints on another major problem...which they then blame on republicans...

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An interesting insight from an article posted elsewhere...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...-Fundraiser-City-Hall-and-ABC-News-in-Chicago

Paul McKinley, another activist from the black community, points to all of these issues as reasons why the unemployment rate continues to increase in the black community. While Friday’s jobs report indicates the black unemployment rate has risen to 14 percent, McKinley flat-out rejects that claim and points to a University of Wisconsin-Milwaukeestudy that shows the black unemployment in 2010 for black males between 16-64 was 54.1 percent—a figure McKinley believes is only worse now.
McKinley said, “the media won’t cover our issues” and that they are allowing the city to continue the destruction of their community through gentrification. This, he belives, is part of the liberal agenda and is by design. Other activists at the protest chastised ABC 7 News as a “racist-liberal” news outlet that is just a “mouthpiece for Rahm Emanuel.”
Despite a significant news event occurring on their very doorstep, ABC 7’s Brock and Krashesky fled the newsroom and ignored the activity from the peaceful grassroots protesters outside. ABC 7 failed to send even one cameraman or reporter to investigate the protest and see what was going on.

Four years of obama hasn't helped much, has it?

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, Carter and Clinton set that ball in motion, and Barney frank and chris dodd protected that ball and kept people, like Bush, from stopping it.

http://cnsnews.com/node/43799

Yes, once again, look close enough and you will see democrat fingerprints on another major problem...which they then blame on republicans...
Bill didn't your friend Newt support FannyMae and also made about $500,000 in consulting fees as a historian in his words not paid lobbyist to the hill promoting FannyMae?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who you vote for is entirely up to you but I have to say that voting for Obama will not lead you to being a socialist country, Obama is not even a little bit socialist by any reckoning. You could end up with a totalitarian state or a dictatorship but you won't end up socialist by voting for any of your current candidates.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill didn't your friend Newt support FannyMae and also made about $500,000 in consulting fees as a historian in his words not paid lobbyist to the hill promoting FannyMae?

No, $500,000 was what he dropped at Tiffany's on a shopping spree. He earned $1,600,000 promoting Fannie Mae on the hill.