Starting Over

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
It has been said many times across various Martial Arts that a black belt is no more than someone with a firm understanding of the basics. Now in EPAK, we have a few different curriculuums available. 32-24-16, etc. Some the material stops at black, third or fifth. With this in mind, when do you go to the student and go, "OK, now let's go back and look at everything you weren't shown/missed at "X" belt level."?

I know that for myself it can happen at the weirdest moments. I was on the phone with my instructor one night and I said, "You know, I noticed something....." He said to me, "I wasn't going to go into that with you yet, but since you found it on your own..." I then proceeded to get a very informative lesson.

BrotherJohn tells me that you learn something when you are ready for it. Not necessarily when your guide thinks you will be ready for it. I think this can happen ahead, on time or behind your instructors thoughts about your progress.

Salute,

JD

This should not be a unique experience.

At my school, everyone was assigned an instructor for private lessons. Student's progress was their private instructor's responsibility. The first lesson after every one of my students tested consisted of two things 1) one or two basics or techniques for the new belt and 2) a review of Yellow/Orange Belt basics and Short 1.

Students also need to restart after long vacations or injuries. If a student is rehabbing, basic material is a good way to make the student think and work without risking additional injury.

I wouldn't call it starting over. I believe there is a difference between starting over and revisiting what you have learned.

But there is nothing wrong with constantly going back over what you have learned in the past. It allows much insight for what you currently know, and what you will learn in the future.

Starting over....that is a whole different argument.

Started Kenpo in 1973...quit in 1976 as a Blue Belt
Started Shotokan in 1979...quit in 1981 as a 6th Kyu
Restarted Kenpo in 1980...Black Belt in 1985, Kenpo 3rd Black in 1993...school closed at end of 1994....
Started Aiki-Jujitsu in 1983 or 1984 at our Kenpo school...
Started at another Kenpo school with a different (non-EPAK) curriculm in 1995...didn't like it, got new job, going to night school...didn't stay.
Started at a Shaolin Kempo school in 1996...traveling internationally, going to night school...
Started attending sporadically at John Sepulveda's Santa Clara Kenpo in 1997 (or 1998)...traveling internaltionally 50%, going to night school...had to quit at end of 1998 when wife got pregnant...
Restarted with some old Kenpo buddies in 2000...and again in 2002...
Started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in 2003...

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
Started Kenpo in 1973...quit in 1976 as a Blue Belt
Started Shotokan in 1979...quit in 1981 as a 6th Kyu
Restarted Kenpo in 1980...Black Belt in 1985, Kenpo 3rd Black in 1993...school closed at end of 1994....
Started Aiki-Jujitsu in 1983 or 1984 at our Kenpo school...
Started at another Kenpo school with a different (non-EPAK) curriculm in 1995...didn't like it, got new job, going to night school...didn't stay.
Started at a Shaolin Kempo school in 1996...traveling internationally, going to night school...
Started attending sporadically at John Sepulveda's Santa Clara Kenpo in 1997 (or 1998)...traveling internaltionally 50%, going to night school...had to quit at end of 1998 when wife got pregnant...
Restarted with some old Kenpo buddies in 2000...and again in 2002...
Started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in 2003...

But that isn't the same school and same instruction. That is all different...not really starting over. More like expanding your horizons. :)

I am experiencing the exact same thing. I moved to a place with no Kenpo for about a 5 hour radius, so I can only practice myself with books, this forum and Mr. Billings website for reference. I just got Mr. Wedlake's Kenpo 201, and found the descriptions fascinating.
I learned nothing new about the HOW. It was nice to see I was doing everything right. But some of the WHY was great to learn. I supposed I might have if I didn't consistantly take years off of training all the time!

Boy, I bet you are cold tonight .... brrrrrrrrr. I know this was on another thread, but even if Tyler is at the other end of the state, he may know someone in your area. You might want to shoot him an email. (Link on my or the AKTS website.)

Wyoming

American International Karate
2528 E. Lincoln Way
Cheyenne, WY. 82001
Phone: (307) 634-6776

-Michael

I feel that the Kenpo journey is an ongoing process of renewal, which can be cut short the moment you think you already 'know' it.

Your Brother
John

Keeping the theme of the thread going....
When you teach Short I, at what point do you go back and teach a student the practical application that can be found within the form?

Originally posted by Seig
Keeping the theme of the thread going....
When you teach Short I, at what point do you go back and teach a student the practical application that can be found within the form?

I usually show them practical applications right from the get-go. The student has to know what they are defending against and what better way than to show them by having the form done with actual attacks. I do it this way so as to relate that everything we do in Kenpo has a meaning. However I must confess, my main goal is to have my students know the examples of the opposites and reverses shown in the Parker Kenpo forms.:asian:

When I am teaching short 1 I usually show the self-defense techniques right off the bat; however, I usually show the hidden techniques on the next belt level. That away by the time they are a blue maybe purple they are showing me what they have found and I can concur or show them what I was shown.

We need to teach students how to think for themselves when it comes to Martial Arts. If we do that as instructors maybe they will not see it as starting over but as expanding their horizons

Latest Discussions

Back