System numbers...

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93

So do you have your students do all the techniques from both sides or just the yellow? How come?
:asian:

We do everything on both sides.......... basics, techniques, forms, sets, freestyle techniques...... everything!

"How come?" you ask.......

I ask why not!

For Skill
Flexability
Mental Freedom
Coordination expansion
Self Confidence
Drilling
Conditioning
Study

Need I say more......

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gd7,
Have you always taught the system this way? When I began in kenpo. We were taught the forms this way, but not the techniques! Ironically, this was at a Tracy studio. With a gentleman who used a Parker/Tracy approach. Now when I began learning the "complete" Parker system. Under a former blackbelt of the aforementioned studio. We were no longer taught the A & B sides of a form! Is this, or was this a common practice in EPAK studios? I think the way you described is probably the best way to train/teach/learn the system. For that matter any system. Can you imagine a european style boxer(Marvin Hagler etc.) training one side of their body for combat?
Salute in Christ,
Donald :asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just my $00.02 worth.

I teach all techniques left and right, for kids I allow right side only for the current chart .. then at the next belt they must have the previous belt's techniques on the opposite side and the current belt on the right.

I know different techniques are for variable environmental considerations, but there are some advantages to knowing the left side of Delayed Sword when your right arm is injured and you are grabbed by the opponent's left arm. ESPECIALLY FOR BEGINNING STUDENTS whose repertoire is very limited (Yellow & Orange Belts.) Other environmental considerations apply, like where the friends of the attacker are, or which arm are you leaning on the bar with, limiting the opponent's angle of attack, etc.

Besides, I need help getting coordinated and being more bilateral (No comments Dennis!) :)

-Michael B.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Donald posted:
"Can you imagine a european style boxer(Marvin Hagler etc.) training one side of their body for combat?"

I would argue that they do only train one side of their body, there are no "switch-hitters" that I know of in the professional ranks. Righties are right hand back fighters, lefties are left hand back fighters. They can throw off either hand off course, but their fighting style is designed for power side back, they don't switch leads.

Hey Gou! As our resident "boxing guy" is what I posted anywhere near accurate?

Lamont

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

We do everything on both sides.......... basics, techniques, forms, sets, freestyle techniques...... everything!

"How come?" you ask.......

I ask why not!

For Skill
Flexability
Mental Freedom
Coordination expansion
Self Confidence
Drilling
Conditioning
Study

Need I say more......

Question: when you do this say for delayed sword, do you still do it for the right grab or do you do a left grab or..... OWWWW...
Sorry head exploded..:(

You give a kenpo person so much to think about....:confused:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Michael Billings

I know different techniques are for variable environmental considerations, but there are some advantages to knowing the left side of Delayed Sword when your right arm is injured and you are grabbed by the opponent's left arm. ESPECIALLY FOR BEGINNING STUDENTS whose repertoire is very limited (Yellow & Orange Belts.)

Isn't Sword of Destruction the opposite of Delayed Sword??

:confused:

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Blindside
I would argue that they do only train one side of their body, there are no "switch-hitters" that I know of in the professional ranks. Righties are right hand back fighters, lefties are left hand back fighters. They can throw off either hand off course, but their fighting style is designed for power side back, they don't switch leads.
Hey Gou! As our resident "boxing guy" is what I posted anywhere near accurate?

It's true. Most boxers train in a specific side forward style and stick with it. There are a few that are ambi and can switch. (Roy Jones Jr.) and there are a few who are southpaws that have been trained as righties. (Oscar De La Hoya) Then there are plan southpaws who fight with their right hand forward.

The concept it that you keep this positioning and use footwork to move yourself. Which is why most boxers run circles around karateka. They practice footwork ad nauseum.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

Isn't Sword of Destruction the opposite of Delayed Sword??
:confused:

No...... the opposite of Delayed Sword is ......... Delayed Sword "left"

although there are similarities between the two...... Delayed Sword is for a grab........ Sword of destruction is for a punch.

minor but still a difference

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But most schools teach Delayed Sword for a right punch.

I'll bet Kirk was shown it that way too which is why he thought the opposite would be Sword of Destruction.

It's the way I was thinking too by the way....(there's that smell of smoke again).......Ooohhh my head hurts bad now :(

OP
R

Rainman

I'll bet Kirk was shown it that way too which is why he thought the opposite would be Sword of Destruction.

It's the way I was thinking too by the way....(there's that smell of smoke again).......Ooohhh my head hurts bad now :(

Even if delayed sword was performed for a right punch it would still not be the opposite of sword of destruction. The upper body movements yes but both teks still done from a rt nuetral bow and have a rt front snap kick.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score

But not True Ed Parker studios......... now it "CAN" be for a right punch as well as a front 2 hand or 1 hand (right or left) push, or a high front kick, or high roundhouse kick, or hook kick, or....... or.... or.....

but the reason it is for a "grab" specifically is to conform to the Web of Knowledge (Infinite Insights Book V, pages 67-88 .........

Grabs & Tackles
Pushes
Punches
Kicks
Hugs & Holds
Locks & Chokes
Weapons
Multiples of the above

OP
K

Kirk

Yes, this is exactly right!

Even if delayed sword was performed for a right punch it would still not be the opposite of sword of destruction. The upper body movements yes but both teks still done from a rt nuetral bow and have a rt front snap kick

Didn't even realize, thanks for pointing out the differences

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So try Delayed Sword, in the ideal phase against a right hand front lapel grab, then against a right push (which is a sped up grab) or a right punch (a sped up push.)

If that was not fun .. why not use Delayed Sword against the left grab (attempted right punch) - gee, it sorta looks like Conquoring Shield ... which we can't teach to a white belt, or can we, as a "what if" of Delayed Sword. We just don't tell them yet - or we let them know that the techniques gets better later on. I do this, as well as against the left push and left punch. I usually wait until Orange to bring all the "What If's" into play ... but sometimes, as the mood strikes me, we may play with the idea Delayed Sword, not just the mechanics of it.

Once again, this is to increase the student's repetoire without requiring them to master more material yet. Especially effective for those who are in a rush, but need more time in grade before moving up.

Just some thoughts .....
-Michael B.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Michael, you are right on target. Man, maybe that 6 hour seminar really sank into someone!

:rofl:

strawberry fields forever...... remember?

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

But not True Ed Parker studios.........
but the reason it is for a "grab" specifically is to conform to the Web of Knowledge (Infinite Insights Book V, pages 67-88 .........

Grabs & Tackles
Pushes
Punches
Kicks
Hugs & Holds
Locks & Chokes
Weapons
Multiples of the above

I discovered that when I finally bought the Infinite Insights books and saw it listed as a right lapel grab.

Latest Discussions