KT:32/24/16 Curriculum Question

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
32/24/16 Curriculum Question
By Shaolindelt - 01-18-2010 02:30 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

While reading the poll about "What curriculum do you teach?" and the variety of responses, something just popped in my head and I figured it might make for an interesting discussion.

Assuming that one teaches the extensions, the curriculums stop at:

1st Black - 32
3rd Black - 24
5th Black - 16

Now, hopefully the organizations that are testing are testing not only knowledge of the material, but ability to perform it. However, it seems interesting that someone in the 16 Technique Curriculum has material through to 5th whereas someone from the old 32-days would have had that material since receiving their 1st Black. For those that have been around a while, have you seen significant difference the efficacy of the rank based on the system? Or is it more that the time is the factor moreso than knowing the individual techniques? (i.e., 20 years to 5th Black in any of the curriculums generally produces a similarly skilled kenpoist)

My gut feeling is that the 32 belt system delays students enough that the lower ranks are probably more adept than equivalent students in the 16 or 24 systems. (32-Purple belt has more of the kenpo moves than a 16-Purple Belt and is therefore probably better skilled.) However, once one has all the same moves, I would tend to think that it evens out quite nicely.

For those that have switched through curriculums too, especially as an instructor, what have you seen?

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Latest Discussions