Is it me or did I see

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Vic LeRoux wearing a 10th black in the newest edition of Black Belt magazine? Also, Chuck Sullivan was wearing a different type of 10th degree anyone here know what his belt was to represent? From the picture it looked orange or red with two black bars on it. I'm just curious about the origin or reason of the belt.:asian:

L

lonekimono

Hey J have a merry christmas ,oh yea about the rank that you saw
well after all it is that time of the year:D ,maybe it was his hoilday belt:confused: , well anyway be safe

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Vic LeRoux wearing a 10th black in the newest edition of Black Belt magazine? Also, Chuck Sullivan was wearing a different type of 10th degree anyone here know what his belt was to represent? From the picture it looked orange or red with two black bars on it. I'm just curious about the origin or reason of the belt.:asian:

I saw it also, made me wonder...........................:confused:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I saw it also. I was wondering about that considering that everywhere you look it says that he is 9th. Not sure about the other belt with the 2 black stripes. Maybe he wants to be different.

Mike

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Vic LeRoux was promoted to 10th Degree in December of 2002. He tested and was promoted in accordance with the bylaws of the International Karate Connection Association (IKCA). The testing for degrees of Black Belt is clearly deliniated in the IKCA Bylaws. The Bylaws allow for more than one 10th Degree to be in the IKCA at any given time. Mr. LeRoux was actually reluctant to test out of respect for Mr. Sullivan who has been his instructor since he was 14 years old. At Mr. Sullivan's urging, Mr. LeRoux tested and was promoted to Grandmaster. Documentation that you see listing Mr. LeRoux as a 9th Degree is either historical or out-of-date.

The belt you see Mr. Sullivan wearing is worn by the ranking 10th Degree in the IKCA, the Senior Grandmaster of the IKCA. The association decided that since the possibility exists to have more than one 10th Degree in the association there should be a distinction for the person holding that position. The decision was made to reverse the colors on the 10th Degree belt. The belt is primarily used for formal or public functions. This belt belongs to the IKCA, not to the individual. When Mr. Sullivan is no longer active, then the belt will be passed to the next ranking 10th Degree.

Hope this clears things up.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
IKCA Member

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by bdparsons
Vic LeRoux was promoted to 10th Degree in December of 2002. He tested and was promoted in accordance with the bylaws of the International Karate Connection Association (IKCA). The testing for degrees of Black Belt is clearly deliniated in the IKCA Bylaws. The Bylaws allow for more than one 10th Degree to be in the IKCA at any given time. Mr. LeRoux was actually reluctant to test out of respect for Mr. Sullivan who has been his instructor since he was 14 years old. At Mr. Sullivan's urging, Mr. LeRoux tested and was promoted to Grandmaster. Documentation that you see listing Mr. LeRoux as a 9th Degree is either historical or out-of-date.

The belt you see Mr. Sullivan wearing is worn by the ranking 10th Degree in the IKCA, the Senior Grandmaster of the IKCA. The association decided that since the possibility exists to have more than one 10th Degree in the association there should be a distinction for the person holding that position. The decision was made to reverse the colors on the 10th Degree belt. The belt is primarily used for formal or public functions. This belt belongs to the IKCA, not to the individual. When Mr. Sullivan is no longer active, then the belt will be passed to the next ranking 10th Degree.

Hope this clears things up.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
IKCA Member

Very well put Mr. Parsons.

C

CoolKempoDude

I saw Mr. Sullivan in the latest black belt magazine issue. Oh boy, it really looks different.

if you have the latest black belt magazine issue, you will see Mr. Sullivan wrote an article which is informative.

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Parsons thank you for the explanation it was very informative.:asian:

R

RCastillo

Oh, please. You know you wanted controversy!:rolleyes:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes, Mr. Parsons, I thank you for the clear and concise explanation of the questions posed.

With Respect :asian:

Latest Discussions