Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well BJJ is a bit of a special case, as its undergoing a 24/7 trial by fire and is evolving at the rate of bacteria. God bless it.
It is, but the same development could happen for someone in other arts, as well. If they're taught by principles, and everyone is encouraged to adapt and improve things (rather than conforming), any art can potentially yield people who can competently pass along part of the art after a couple of years. A BJJ blue belt won't (unless they are a truly special individual) be able to pass along what Tony Dismukes does, but they can have something to teach. That just shows it's possible in that kind of timeframe. So, if someone from any art made a reasonable claim of something they could help me with, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and be interested in seeing what they can do.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is, but the same development could happen for someone in other arts, as well. If they're taught by principles, and everyone is encouraged to adapt and improve things (rather than conforming), any art can potentially yield people who can competently pass along part of the art after a couple of years. A BJJ blue belt won't (unless they are a truly special individual) be able to pass along what Tony Dismukes does, but they can have something to teach. That just shows it's possible in that kind of timeframe. So, if someone from any art made a reasonable claim of something they could help me with, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and be interested in seeing what they can do.

on that subject of passing along, You mentioned the 2hand wheel throw in your art and I said it may be Kaiten nage in mine ...I had a quick look on you tube and I found the NGA 2 hand wheel throw come along (i dunno if that is what you referred to ) anyway as I think I said I went on the mat in my state as that intrigued me and yup it worked so I learned something new ...similar (kinda ) entry and if I cock up Kaiten nage now I got another way of still making something work

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on that subject of passing along, You mentioned the 2hand wheel throw in your art and I said it may be Kaiten nage in mine ...I had a quick look on you tube and I found the NGA 2 hand wheel throw come along (i dunno if that is what you referred to ) anyway as I think I said I went on the mat in my state as that intrigued me and yup it worked so I learned something new ...similar (kinda ) entry and if I cock up Kaiten nage now I got another way of still making something work
Nice. I pick up lots of bits like that when tinkering with material from other styles. I'll see a position that looks like a bad halfway point in a technique I know, and think, "Ah, next time I screw up at that point, this is an option!"

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice. I pick up lots of bits like that when tinkering with material from other styles. I'll see a position that looks like a bad halfway point in a technique I know, and think, "Ah, next time I screw up at that point, this is an option!"

Oh the uke got the shock of his life lol and he was a nidan lol ................he said where the beep you get that from you wee supposed to be doing Kaiten nage ....I just said well you learned a lesson expect the unexpected

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh the uke got the shock of his life lol and he was a nidan lol ................he said where the beep you get that from you wee supposed to be doing Kaiten nage ....I just said well you learned a lesson expect the unexpected
Nice. I love moments like that - from both sides.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
At this juncture I'd like to extend an offer.

If @Isaiah90 ever finds himself in the UK, I'll gladly provide a free lesson.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
you really want to end up on you tube ???

Yes.

I can see the title now - "how trying to use modern self defence teaching gets you killed in self defence".

(I've been on YouTube a few times, no big deal.)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes.

I can see the title now - "how trying to use modern self defence teaching gets you killed in self defence".

(I've been on YouTube a few times, no big deal.)

yeah but ..................how trying to use modern self defence teaching gets you killed in self defence". would get your pictures taken to

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At this juncture I'd like to extend an offer.

If @Isaiah90 ever finds himself in the UK, I'll gladly provide a free lesson.
I know you’re not terribly serious here, but please stay away from saying stuff the mods might take as a challenge. This thread is way too entertaining to be locked. Please?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know you’re not terribly serious here, but please stay away from saying stuff the mods might take as a challenge. This thread is way too entertaining to be locked. Please?

It's not a challenge, it's an offer of a lesson that may (or may not) sway his opinion of tkd techniques.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oh, and a thought.

Am I that scary that having a lesson from me might be construed as threatening, whereas OP's multiple offers of free lessons aren't a threat (even following his "open challenge to all martial artists" YouTube video)?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and a thought.

Am I that scary that having a lesson from me might be construed as threatening, whereas OP's multiple offers of free lessons aren't a threat (even following his "open challenge to all martial artists" YouTube video)?
Yes.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, and a thought.

Another like/ funny/ agree situation. Whe been getting a lot of those lately

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I will do is open a lesson offer to any other member (except OP).

I'm not qualified to teach tkd, but I've studied this guy and taught myself:

I can also teach you essential skills, including but not limited to:

How to get hit like me
How to run away like me
How to complain you're not attacking me right like me
How to make tea the way I like it

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, and a thought.

Latest Discussions