Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol i don't care about their authorities. I'm not really teaching their systems.
So nobody who has been your teacher has ever suggested that you are skilled enough and understand well enough that you could teach?

I guess this leads me to another question: have you had any teachers? Did you learn everything you know by video? Did you actually train with anyone?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once again: have any of your teachers granted you authority to be a teacher?

And as to the rest, it’s all a vague non-answer. Do you understand the question?
Authority to teach isn't all that important IMO, Michael, unless he entered his training with the understanding that he wouldn't teach until he received it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Authority to teach isn't all that important IMO, Michael, unless he entered his training with the understanding that he wouldn't teach until he received it.
It’s not the end-all, but in a self-regulated industry like martial arts, it is one of the few quality control measures that there are.

It says a lot. And for some fellow who is creating his own method by blending some mix of a few years of this and that and the other thing, supposedly several systems, and none of his instructors (if he actually had any) have elevated him to teacher level, it speaks volumes.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
It’s not the end-all, but in a self-regulated industry like martial arts, it is one of the few quality control measures that there are.

It says a lot. And for some fellow who is creating his own method by blending some mix of a few years of this and that and the other thing, supposedly several systems, and none of his instructors (if he actually had any) have elevated him to teacher level, it speaks volumes.

Playing devils advocate a bit, but I'm not entirely sure it speaks at all.

I could start a new art and legitimately say it is influenced by tkd and kickboxing and uses techniques from both.

I'm not technically qualified to teach in either (excepting taking the wording that I can teach others up to my own level in tkd, but I can't open an affiliated tkd school).

That doesn't mean my new system will be automatically worse. Or even bad. Or any good at all.

If I'm crap it'll be worse.

If I'm Bruce Lee reincarnate? (iirc he didn't exactly complete his previous formal training and was never officially authorised to teach)

The OP's position on this theoretical Bruce left/crap right spectrum is yet to be determined, but so far I'm leaning right ;)

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to stop by and swap ideas sometime. I'll give a yell the next time I'm out that way.

Fair enough. Check out my YouTube channel to see sample clips of my martial arts.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Playing devils advocate a bit, but I'm not entirely sure it speaks at all.

I could start a new art and legitimately say it is influenced by tkd and kickboxing and uses techniques from both.

I'm not technically qualified to teach in either (excepting taking the wording that I can teach others up to my own level in tkd, but I can't open an affiliated tkd school).

That doesn't mean my new system will be automatically worse. Or even bad. Or any good at all.

If I'm crap it'll be worse.

If I'm Bruce Lee reincarnate? (iirc he didn't exactly complete his previous formal training and was never officially authorised to teach)

The OP's position on this theoretical Bruce left/crap right spectrum is yet to be determined, but so far I'm leaning right ;)
Of course you can. You can do anything you want.

And likewise, if you come here to martialtalk and present it, people like me are going to ask about your background and try to assess the liklihood that what you are offering is quality or crap. Or if you open up shop and try to get students, any prospective student may likewise try to make an assessment, which likely will include asking questions about your training history and what level of development and knowledge you have reached, including whether or not you reached an instructor level in any of the systems you claim you drew from in creating your new monster.

If I applied for a job as an airplane mechanic, and the only experience I can claim is that I’m pretty good at fixing my bicycle and I’ve changed a flat tire on my car a few times and I like to fly remote controlled airplanes, it won’t stack up. I won’t get the job.

Not enough depth of knowledge or skill in any of it. Piling on more superficial stuff does not make up for a lack of depth. There needs to be real depth in SOMETHING, even if the other elements are just ancillary, or it’s all just superficial garbage lumped together.

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Of course you can. You can do anything you want.

And likewise, if you come here to martialtalk and present it, people like me are going to ask about your background and try to assess the liklihood that what you are offering is quality or crap. Or if you open up shop and try to get students, any prospective student may likewise try to make an assessment, which likely will include asking questions about your training history and what level of development and knowledge you have reached, including whether or not you reached an instructor level in any of the systems you claim you drew from in creating your new monster.

If I applied for a job as an airplane mechanic, and the only experience I can claim is that I’m pretty good at fixing my bicycle and I’ve changed a flat tire on my car a few times and I like to fly remote controlled airplanes, it won’t stack up. I won’t get the job.

Not enough depth of knowledge or skill in any of it. Piling on more superficial stuff does not make up for a lack of depth. There needs to be real depth in SOMETHING, even if the other elements are just ancillary, or it’s all just superficial garbage lumped together.

You can check out my blog below for more. You can also check my youtube channel. I've taught several students in martial arts before. I've also sparred with people before.

everythingselfdefense.co

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You look a little bit like Jesus, before the blue eyes & blond hair rendition.

799.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can check out my blog below for more. You can also check my youtube channel. I've taught several students in martial arts before. I've also sparred with people before.

everythingselfdefense.co

Nothing on the blog.

The video has no substance.

Look, if the answer is simply that you have no teaching authority in anything you have trained, then just be up front about it when asked. When you try to dodge th question, you dig a deeper hole.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing on the blog.

The video has no substance.

Look, if the answer is simply that you have no teaching authority in anything you have trained, then just be up front about it when asked. When you try to dodge th question, you dig a deeper hole.

He is not claiming to teach a specific style there by claiming that lineage so I don't see the issue if his students are happy and they feel they are learning then where is the problem?

Had he been claiming a specific style then yes I can see the point to an extent

Apart from the MA community at large do most of the general public actually know what credentials and the rest are or do they really care?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
He is not claiming to teach a specific style there by claiming that lineage so I don't see the issue if his students are happy and they feel they are learning then where is the problem?

Apart from the MA community at large do most of the general public actually know what credentials and the rest are or do they really care?

Ordinarily and in most cases I would completely agree and say the same sort of thing.

Say, Tae Bo. I've seen people say it's no good, you can't use it for self defence, yada yada. So what? It's not an SD course. It's a workout and that's how it's sold. It's like complaining a cookery class wouldn't help against a mugger.

The problem is that he's not selling a workout, or how to make a soufflé. He's selling himself as an expert in self defence that has been able to identify shortcomings in every structured martial art. He's gone as far as to claim that trying to use any structured MA in a self defence situation will get you killed.

So what happens when one of his happy students that feel like they've learned something come up against a real assailant?

If they perform anything like he does in his videos, then they'll not be able to defend their way out of a wet paper bag.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ordinarily and in most cases I would completely agree and say the same sort of thing.

Say, Tae Bo. I've seen people say it's no good, you can't use it for self defence, yada yada. So what? It's not an SD course. It's a workout and that's how it's sold. It's like complaining a cookery class wouldn't help against a mugger.

The problem is that he's not selling a workout, or how to make a soufflé. He's selling himself as an expert in self defence that has been able to identify shortcomings in every structured martial art. He's gone as far as to claim that trying to use any structured MA in a self defence situation will get you killed.

So what happens when one of his happy students that feel like they've learned something come up against a real assailant?

If they perform anything like he does in his videos, then they'll not be able to defend their way out of a wet paper bag.

Ok I get you totally

I did post in another thread about using the MA buzz words and getting into martial arts concepts which are not the same as SD really (well kinda sorta maybe ) and picking apart any art will always lead to conflicts unless you understand the art and actually know where the flaws lie ( you have seen me defend Aikido lol but I will and have said there are flaws there in )

For us here to pick apart a guys business isn't really fair (oh I do understand the why) but to me that not any of our jobs as such.

just my opinion lol

Oh I will btw argue the toss with another MA (nd I have lol) if I think they are wrong but to a SD guy no as they might not get the nuances etc

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Because the people whom hes training may not be aware that he has never had a teacher (which im assuming is the case based on how he dodges that question over and over).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I get you totally

I did post in another thread about using the MA buzz words and getting into martial arts concepts which are not the same as SD really (well kinda sorta maybe ) and picking apart any art will always lead to conflicts unless you understand the art and actually know where the flaws lie ( you have seen me defend Aikido lol but I will and have said there are flaws there in )

For us here to pick apart a guys business isn't really fair (oh I do understand the why) but to me that not any of our jobs as such.

just my opinion lol

Oh I will btw argue the toss with another MA (nd I have lol) if I think they are wrong but to a SD guy no as they might not get the nuances etc
IMO, there’s no real difference between SD guys and MA guys. I teach MA for SD. Those who promote their system as simpler than learning à MA are (IMO) universally playing with words for marketing.

Latest Discussions