Standards of earning a Black Belt?

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
When I first began my training 18 years ago, there was a student at our school that had MS and was confined to a wheelchair. He had progressed through the ranks and for obvious reasons could not use his legs for kicks. When it came time to test, he would verbally mention the kick when it should happen and proceed with the form or technique. In certain situations he could defend himself, but ultimately he could never beat a black belt in good health. To say we should compare him to that black belt, would be unfair in many ways. Did he train just as hard? Did he overcome obstacles? Did he put his time in? Did he struggle with material? I think I can answer yes to those questions and would even make the statement that he did so even more. He is the person that I think of anytime I think of quitting or giving up. Truth is, it WOULD be unfair to compare the two _ think the young man endured more hardship and struggle in his life than the “healthy” black belt ever would.

I agree with a comment made above. Access the student at the beginning and judge him and her on their progression. I commend any individual who does not let “disabilities” get in the way. They are the true standard we should compare ourselves too.

How do you decide who deserves a Black belt? It takes a great man to do what you did for that person in the wheel chair who never give up.

A black belt does not need two legs and two arms. In the Kempo-karate school that I train at, we have a 3rd degree BB who is legally blind. A school teacher and great wrestler too.

Use what you have! .........Aloha

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not think it could be done in a good manner. there are to many styles and systems out there with different teaching ways and different standards for being an instructor. I sure dont want someone from a system that has no knowledge of what i do or what I want my students doing to tell me if they can be a black belt or instructor

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
bushidomartialarts said:
i agree that in the past a black belt was a better fighter. i'm unconvinced they were better people. the respect, personal discipline, open-mindedness, humility and personal effectiveness seem to be stronger these days than in the past.

combat isn't the gift of karate. it's only the wrapper.

That's true. Thinking back, the fighting part was more focussed on, from what I remember. The other qualities are more present now, and focussed on, except, maybe, the HUMILITY thing --LOL!!!

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that there is a de-facto standard for awarding a black belt. It's generally unspoken and universally accepted.

A newly awarded Black belt is nothing less than his or her teacher's signature, their reputation and their legacy. No matter the standards, rules or requirements, when a teacher promotes someone to Black Belt, they are essentially telling the world "Here is my standard."

Every time a brilliant fighter, a 6 year-old chubby kid and a 75 year-old woman are promoted to the yudansha ranks, the teacher gives a piece of their credibility. Sometimes it is an investment with great returns, sometimes it is a gamble that doesn't really work out in their favor. Other times, the teacher gets a suprise from the door that they opened for someone else.

Whether your standards include being able to defend yourself in an attack against multiple attackers carrying weapons, competing and winning consistently or showing drastic and consistent improvement from when that person walks in the door, I hope that we all agree that each person promoted to Black belt carries OUR name with them. Thats the standard...our names.

My two bits.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stone_dragone said:
I think that there is a de-facto standard for awarding a black belt. It's generally unspoken and universally accepted.

A newly awarded Black belt is nothing less than his or her teacher's signature, their reputation and their legacy. No matter the standards, rules or requirements, when a teacher promotes someone to Black Belt, they are essentially telling the world "Here is my standard."

Every time a brilliant fighter, a 6 year-old chubby kid and a 75 year-old woman are promoted to the yudansha ranks, the teacher gives a piece of their credibility. Sometimes it is an investment with great returns, sometimes it is a gamble that doesn't really work out in their favor. Other times, the teacher gets a suprise from the door that they opened for someone else.

Whether your standards include being able to defend yourself in an attack against multiple attackers carrying weapons, competing and winning consistently or showing drastic and consistent improvement from when that person walks in the door, I hope that we all agree that each person promoted to Black belt carries OUR name with them. Thats the standard...our names.

My two bits.

Nicely stated. I have been able to get BB testing certificates from 2 places: the international organization, and the national organization. The certificate from the national organization, which is signed by my instructor and the testing instructor, both of whom I know, is more important to me than the one from the international organization - because the one signed by my direct seniors shows that I have met the standards they have set for me, and others of my rank. Their public acknowledgement that I have attained a standard is worth more to me than anything else - because I respect them and trust their judgement. The signatory from the international organization, no matter how important to the organization, does not know me - he is expressing his faith in my seniors' judgement of my abilities, not his personal knowledge of my abilities - so again, it comes back to my seniors' judgement as the determining factor.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
The standards should be very high. If the standards are not high then the rank looses its value, because the ones who are very skilled get grouped next to people who they are clearly more proficient than. There should be a universal standard that must be met to get a black belt. The rank should not be given because of heart or attitude, and performance should be 90% of the issue. Martial arts is not all about fighting, but it has alot to do with fighting. If it were not for fighting then why all of the fighting techniques, to make you feel tougher than you are? So you can have a black belt because you try hard but cannot deliver?
This is what lowers the value of a black belt these days. When you have a black belt that cant even fight effectively against another decent fighter, we have a big problem.

Valid points but you might be shocked at how high the number really is of martial artists who can't fight.

I think 90% is a bit high. Handicapped students should train but never receive a black belt? How about my wife who I promoted to Shodan and suffers from multiple schlerosis? Her balance is starting to get noticably bad but she has more knowledge than the two Shodans I also promoted on the same day.

Civilty and ethics are "pieces of the pie" also. There are factors not just physical but I do emphasize realistic fighting solutions but it can't be the major factor, they are all "pieces" that equal the "whole.".

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello, If you had a chance to be on a committee to form standards for earning a Black Belt? What would you recommend for all school in the USA?

Should there also be an age limits, time limits, what physcial test would you add? Will board/brick breaking be included, and should they sparr w/one and against multiple attackers.

In my old Shotokan School, my Sensi wanted me to sparr two minutes with Seven black belts,one at a time, before he gave a Black Belt. The object wasn't to win? ..but not to quit! and test your skill at the same time. We ended up testing another way. ........Aloha
I dont give out black belts or any other belts. We train and spar and train and spar. Belts are irrelevant to us.